• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is GoPro still the way to go?

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
I have a really old GoPro Hero 2, that works ok, but you can never tell where it is pointed until after the ride, so many times I end up with a shot that is too low, too high, left, right, etc.

Not that I want to add yet another new battery device to my pre-ride preparation but what is the best way to go for ride recording?

GoPro Hero 4?

I have LOTS of tractor work, cutting cedars, burning huge piles of cedars and some mountain biking, nothing on the motorcycle yet.

I have LOTS of tractor work, cutting cedars, burning huge piles of cedars and some mountain biking, nothing on the motorcycle yet.

Have you turned any of that raw footage into a presentable video? Links? :deal: :-)

Have you turned any of that raw footage into a presentable video? Links? :deal: :-)

I also have an "older" GoPro, a never-used Hero 3 Black. After reading a bit, the whole "turn any of that raw footage into a presentable video" process struck me as too much like unpaid work to be enjoyable, hence, never-used (though I keep the batteries charged and ready).

I had an older go pro and didn't like it. I used a Contour and loved it. I now have the new one touch Go Pro and it does record nice. They are easier to mount in places as well.

I've got the app for mine so I can turn on the blue tooth, and see what angle and fov it's recording, on my phone. The BT drains the battery quick so when I'm satisfied with the angle, I turn it off and start recording.

Everide uses the Sony action cam. I like it better than the gopro

I also have an "older" GoPro, a never-used Hero 3 Black. After reading a bit, the whole "turn any of that raw footage into a presentable video" process struck me as too much like unpaid work to be enjoyable, hence, never-used (though I keep the batteries charged and ready).
Man, that's some pricey farkles to be layin around idle...

Man, that's some pricey farkles to be layin around idle...

Fits, though . . . I'm a pricey farkle and I'm lyin' around idle much of the time. :rofl:

(I'll be here all week, Folks; tell your friends and neighboogers!)

Last edited:
The Hero 3 or newer all come wifi enabled and can be controlled from a smart phone with the GoPro app. This to me was a HUGE improvement. The on camera controls are a pain. But with the app you can control all settings from your phone and get a preview of where/what you are shooting. I think the Hero2's you have to add a wifi backpack to them.

A BIG advantage of the GoPro is that mounts and accessories are easy to get, and loads of options. I bought a bundle of mounts and accessories from amazon for like $30!! They're knock off's and fit in finish isn't as nice as GoPro brand, but they work and were cheap.

GoPro is like the ipod when it came out. An amazing marketing team put it at the top of the market. I think Dell actually had a better MP3 player, but I couldn't find accessories for it ANYWHERE. Ipod stuff was all over the place. Same goes for GoPro.

My Dad recently did a lot of research on cameras for their ADV ride from Colorado - Alaska - Colorado. He chose the Sony Action Cam. The main reason was it had image stabilization which the GoPro's do not. Other things he considered pretty even. Stabilizing the image was what made him go with the Sony.

... My Dad recently did a lot of research on cameras for their ADV ride from Colorado - Alaska - Colorado. He chose the Sony Action Cam. The main reason was it had image stabilization which the GoPro's do not. Other things he considered pretty even. Stabilizing the image was what made him go with the Sony.

Sony cameras are Kick-A**!

The lens may not be quite what a Nikon's is but the menu is intuitive and the Sonys are really, really easy on the batteries, the Nikon isn't. Almost all my pics were taken with a Sony DSC-T9, half the size of a pack of cigs, <$200, and I recently bought a W30, a step or two up from the T9, for $45.

NEVER buy the latest & greatest; go for the just-outdated model that retailers will be almost giving away!

IMO, of course.

Fits, though . . . I'm a pricey farkle and I'm lyin' around idle much of the time. :rofl:

(I'll be here all week, Folks; tell your friends and neighboogers!)
lol - first I heard a couch tater elevated to farkle status... ;)

NEVER buy the latest & greatest; go for the just-outdated model that retailers will be almost giving away!

+1

Plus you can shop EBay and Craig's List for the myriad of "slightly used" GoPros in drawers all over America, bought by once enthusiastic and budding videographers who recorded an hour of helmet cam and then put the unit away permanently.

Guess since I already own a GoPro and have several mounts, its worth staying within the family. I did use my Hero 2 to record how the bikes ride while in the back of the new trailer. Pretty cool actually finally understand what they go through.

I replaced the cheap wheel chocks with some new Lock and Load chocks that use a strap to tie the front tire to the chock instead of hammering down the front forks to hold it in place. I did put a pair of straps on the rear of the bikes, those I tighten up a bit, then I had to go ahead and put some straps on the front too, but didn't tighten a all.

Bikes rode amazing well...

Thanks for the input.

Should I even ask what you use to make "movies" out of the gopro footage?

For Windows, the simple answer is Windows Movie Maker

For Apple, it's iMovie

Of course, a Google search for both platforms will reveal a host of alternatives at the free level

Really what folks need to do is simply learn to chop footage down to the tasty bits and rearrange clips to make an interesting short video.

What will come with time - if you can get past this point at all - are more easy stuff like transitions and titles and sound tracks.

This all said, there's no infamy in the endless helmet camera drone video that most people get stuck on. However the viewer will fast forward through this "to see what the ride looked like" and move on.

The good news is most of the learning curve is up front and you can get past it. Then you can cherry pick the bells and whistles to suit your fancy.

Here's a tip: being able to employ the "Ken Burns Effect" in your movie is a sure marker that you know you're truly on you're way :trust:

TriceP thanks again, always killer info.

Hey I forgot, what about audio? I have a Sena 20s but I don't think there is anyway to hook that into the GoPro audio is there?

A hundred years ago I used something called Pinnacle Studio to convert old Video to DVD. I sort of remember it and they just sent me a half off offer to get the latest version for $64 bucks. Maybe its worth it.

Hey I forgot, what about audio? I have a Sena 20s but I don't think there is anyway to hook that into the GoPro audio is there?

Yes there is - all you need is a GP10 GoPro "Backpack"

Here's a video demo of a rider using it:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVgmovTYjQ"]Sena 20S Bluetooth headset - paired with GP10 GoPro Backpac - YouTube[/ame]

Fwiw,

I've heard nothing but good things about the Chinese knockoffs. The ebay "4k action cam"

Plus, most have a preview screen. Theu all work with gopro bases. $49 shipped

Aaron, so you are selling your baby !!! Didn't you just lecture me to never sell mine now that I have the AT !!! LOL Hope it sells quick!

lol - first I heard a couch tater elevated to farkle status... ;)

You noticed, I trust, that I did the elevatin' my own se'f. :oops:

A certain couch tater is heading out Friday morning, bound for CADVR in/at Dang-Near-Canada, WI, then West to Deadwood for the KTM Adventure Rally, then ?????? but with time built in to spend a couple days in ColoRAD-O on the way home. I figure it'll be between 4 & 5Kmiles, total, before I have to come home to take a nap.

Wanna ride along, 'tater?

I've had a few skin flints from some of my other forums profess love for some cheap chinese Go-pro knock-offs but there always seems to be some catch 22 with them in the grand scheme (or they are so cheap they won't tell me for fear of someone ruining their good deal). They are getting there, but if you have to buy one today, I would probably still pony up and go with the GP unit.

I have a GoPro Hero+ my daughters gave me for last Christmas. Pretty much sat until about a month ago when I decided to go up the rather steep learning curve. Hardware, data input/output, and then video editing using GP Studio take some learning. At least for an old guy. Here is a video I made a couple weeks ago. Still going up learning curve.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=333nAb3GqD4"]Triumph helmet cam jul27 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

Resurrecting the thread.

Looking at a cheap Chinese knock-off for our trip at the end of June. Do not want to buy GoPro. Some interesting looking cameras on Amazon, just not sure which is the most interesting.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Resurrecting the thread. Looking at a cheap Chinese knock-off for our trip at the end of June. Do not want to buy GoPro.

Of the knockoffs, the Akaso is arguably best. The image quality in good light approaches GoPro. The audio is lacking and I can't speak to durability. I'd recommend a used or refurbished GoPro 3+ in the 150-dollar range instead. I still shoot all my action cam shots with two GoPro 3s and they're still better than most of the brand new quasi-4K Chinese cams.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb3MU8SJWj8"]The Best Motorcycle Ride In Texas : Three (Twisted) Sisters & Hill Country Roads - YouTube[/ame]

Let's resurrect this thread one more time.

Still looking at buying one of these cameras.

Amazon seems to have MANY MANY MANY more of the Chinese knock-offs than ever before.

Anyone have any updated recommendations?

Thanks.

Back