• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

So, my bike started idling rough. I ran the idle up on it and got it home fine, surging down the road off throttle was irritating. I'd had to switch to reserve and thought I'd probably sucked detritus off the bottom of the tank that got into my idle jet, what it felt like.

I got it out yesterday to mess with it and found the petcock dripping. I could start it up and the drip would stop. I could shut the petcock off manually and the drip would stop. Conclusion, figure the diaphragm on the vacuum shut off is probably torn or got a pen hole in it. This would explain the rough idle, too, not too LEAN but too rich, sucking gas from the torn diaphragm. I didn't mess with it any further, pull the diaphragm for inspection or anything.

I got on bike bandit (appropriately named) and the diaphram was 20 bucks, the petcock was 90. Then I googled, came up with a manual petcock, no vacuum shut off, for 6 bucks. :lol2: NO SHIPPING either. I ordered it. I'll plug the vacuum hose off the manifold with a screw or something. If that don't fix the problem, pretty sure it will, I've only dumped 6 bucks. :lol2: I'll take the petcock apart after replacing it with the manual one to confirm thanks and keep it, perhaps install a diaphragm in it at some point, but frankly, I think I prefer the manual shut off petcock. Less to go wrong, the KISS principle. :D

Regarding the handlebars and vibration, I packed mine full of bb's to add mass and lower the natural frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy Yall,

I have a few KLR 2nd gen accessory items for sale like Givi soft tail bag, panniers with mounts. Can someone tell me where to post my list? Thanks

JS

Howdy Yall,

I have a few KLR 2nd gen accessory items for sale like Givi soft tail bag, panniers with mounts. Can someone tell me where to post my list? Thanks

JS

Go to the forum area look up the sales section and post away.

Out here in Cali, riding the Anza Borrego Desert ? on the Mighty KLR.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 260
Well, my fuel petcock had a hole in the vacuum diaphragm, was messing up low speed carburetion, then it started to leak when the engine was shut off. A new diaphragm kit is 20 bucks. Then I found a fuel petcock off Amazon for 5 bucks, no vacuum shut off to mess up, KISS. After I ordered it, I thought about that I could have just cut a gasket to replace the diaphragm with and plug the vacuum line. The stock petcock actually has a manual off position. But, I just replaced it when the petcock got here from its trip on a slow boat from China. :lol2: Now, I'm riding again, just in time for rain and cold fronts. Ain't it always?

Welcome Dave, I've got a 2015 also. Bought new and have 4500 miles on now, love it.

I've got the tools. I installed the doo in mine, but haven't put in the coiled spring yet. Sounds like we could make a day of it. You in a hurry?

Hey Patrick, I was wondering if you would have time in the next month to help me change the doohickey? I would be willing to trade a box of very lightly used Gen 2 KLR parts! Skid plate, foot pegs, muffler, handlebars, rear rack and whatever else is in there. Thanks.

Hey Patrick, I was wondering if you would have time in the next month to help me change the doohickey? I would be willing to trade a box of very lightly used Gen 2 KLR parts! Skid plate, foot pegs, muffler, handlebars, rear rack and whatever else is in there. Thanks.

Maby I could join in on this with my 2016 I have a few extra parts

I am new to the board, but I have been riding for years.. Mostly big street bikes. My primary bike is a Valkyrie Interstate. I call her the "road pig".

I bought a used KLR back in 2015, had about 12k on the clock. Overall in good shape. I wanted to get into some light dual sport and I have an Alaska trip I am trying to get organized with a cousin. It might happen this year.

Any the KLR 650 was pretty well farkled with lots of extras, including multiple sets of Wolfman bags, crash guards, skid plate etc. BTW, I call it "the thing." It is like riding a wash tub in comparison to the Valkyrie, but definitely fun!

The previous owner didn't think it needed the doohickey mod, and had not done it.

All this to say, it has been on my list. I discovered prior to a short Colorado trip last September that my doohickey bolt was loose. I tightened it up knowing that something was probably wrong.

I went ahead and did my Colorado trip (hauled to Lake City) and then helped with a dual sport toys for tots ride in December...thinking the whole time I need to get this done.

Well tonight, I tore into it. Sure enough the spring was broken. The doohickey was ok, but there was no tension on the chain...yikes!!! A few beers and a couple of cigars provided entertainment between the tear down and bolting her back up with the new doohickey and the torsion spring.

All is good now, and the engine is much quieter. Kawasaki really needs to get their head out of the sand on this problem.

Do the doohickey!! Mine is a 2012 Gen 2 with about 16k on the clock now. We are tearing into my friends Gen 1 next week to see if it has been done.

My bike is has much less engine noise now. I got lucky!!

Did I mention you should do the doohickey?

Craig

I am new to the board, but I have been riding for years.. Mostly big street bikes. My primary bike is a Valkyrie Interstate. I call her the "road pig".

I bought a used KLR back in 2015, had about 12k on the clock. Overall in good shape. I wanted to get into some light dual sport and I have an Alaska trip I am trying to get organized with a cousin. It might happen this year.

Any the KLR 650 was pretty well farkled with lots of extras, including multiple sets of Wolfman bags, crash guards, skid plate etc. BTW, I call it "the thing." It is like riding a wash tub in comparison to the Valkyrie, but definitely fun!

The previous owner didn't think it needed the doohickey mod, and had not done it.

All this to say, it has been on my list. I discovered prior to a short Colorado trip last September that my doohickey bolt was loose. I tightened it up knowing that something was probably wrong.

I went ahead and did my Colorado trip (hauled to Lake City) and then helped with a dual sport toys for tots ride in December...thinking the whole time I need to get this done.

Well tonight, I tore into it. Sure enough the spring was broken. The doohickey was ok, but there was no tension on the chain...yikes!!! A few beers and a couple of cigars provided entertainment between the tear down and bolting her back up with the new doohickey and the torsion spring.

All is good now, and the engine is much quieter. Kawasaki really needs to get their head out of the sand on this problem.

Do the doohickey!! Mine is a 2012 Gen 2 with about 16k on the clock now. We are tearing into my friends Gen 1 next week to see if it has been done.

My bike is has much less engine noise now. I got lucky!!

Did I mention you should do the doohickey?

Craig
Agreed 100% :clap: :sun:

Installed cast wheels so I could go tubeless.
f706ef5aec4d9211966c6e48b533fe41.jpg

65eaebc5072540d399136e7616734866.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Those wheels look awesome!

Eiger, did you get that Doo done? I just saw this, shoot me a message if not!

ALSO -
I'm having a couple of problems with the bike. I noticed my choke cable getting tighter over the course of a week and sure enough, I have a bad cable. After some investigation, I bought a choke relocate kit that mounts to the same part on the carb - http://www.steadengineering.com/NEW-IN-NOW-Cable-Less-Choke-Conversion-Kit-CCCK-0009.htm

During that same time, the bike has been acting up a little. She wants to die while I'm sitting at idle in neutral. I'm hoping that replacing the cable will help with that. I've got gas, fuel filter is good...Doesn't seem to be a carb issue, it hasn't sat for over 5 days and has no hesitation throughout the RPM range. Any thoughts?

Anybody around San Antonio- Austin want to help me check my doo for some kind of compensation of beverages or cash? I can sell stuff, but mechanical endeavors are not my forte.

Those wheels look awesome!

Eiger, did you get that Doo done? I just saw this, shoot me a message if not!

ALSO -
I'm having a couple of problems with the bike. I noticed my choke cable getting tighter over the course of a week and sure enough, I have a bad cable. After some investigation, I bought a choke relocate kit that mounts to the same part on the carb - http://www.steadengineering.com/NEW-IN-NOW-Cable-Less-Choke-Conversion-Kit-CCCK-0009.htm

During that same time, the bike has been acting up a little. She wants to die while I'm sitting at idle in neutral. I'm hoping that replacing the cable will help with that. I've got gas, fuel filter is good...Doesn't seem to be a carb issue, it hasn't sat for over 5 days and has no hesitation throughout the RPM range. Any thoughts?

Drain the float bowl!

Been here since 06 and have never seen the Bastrop Trails closed. As for SH you might wanna check with them if you're gonna haul, if you're gonna ride then it's a good excuse to check.

I am in Bastrop several times a week for work. Would love to meet for a ride sometime.

Took the little beast to Mexico last week. Right around 1,400 trouble free miles over 10 days for the bike.
New oil, coolant, tires, tool tube, dakar guards with highway pegs, air filter, various screw upgrades, brake calipers rebuilt/bled, new brake pads f/r, gas lines/filter, carb clean, headlight upgrade, sprockets and chain....

klr_cactus.jpg

Couldn't install the bar risers in time, but thinking about adding some. About the only thing left to do is get a fork brace and a ThermoBob. Anyone have either they would like to split with :rider:

Wow, looks like the Mighty KLR thread hasn’t gotten much love since I moved back to Cali.
Hope you all are riding and doing well.

I have a buddy who is in Pflugerville and needs a good used front tire for his KLR.
If anyone has a spare they can spare, let me know please.

The riding in SoCal has been none stop, it’s 79° today and we had one day of rain finally in the last four months, so chocolate cake is being served

I got a new 2017 KLR650 and a plated CRF450R to cruise the desert with and couldn’t be happier. If anyone is out this way, stop by for a beer and a ride.

Attachments

• 328E3C42-9D6F-4C6C-AE72-41AB2F14E918.jpg
    328E3C42-9D6F-4C6C-AE72-41AB2F14E918.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Wow, looks like the Mighty KLR thread hasn’t gotten much love since I moved back to Cali.
Hope you all are riding and doing well.

I have a buddy who is in Pflugerville and needs a good used front tire for his KLR.
If anyone has a spare they can spare, let me know please.

The riding in SoCal has been none stop, it’s 79° today and we had one day of rain finally in the last four months, so chocolate cake is being served��

I got a new 2017 KLR650 and a plated CRF450R to cruise the desert with and couldn’t be happier. If anyone is out this way, stop by for a beer and a ride.

I may have a tire, will check and post back

Back