• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
After hours of YouTube tutoring, installing and removing a tire at least a dozen times and destroying the bead on a perfectly new $110 tire courtesy of the no pinch, I can honestly say that I regret the day I ordered the Baja. I suppose with better technique I could get it to work. But with a bit of practice I was able to get a tire on in less than 5 minutes with two tire irons and no risk of damaging the bead.

If it's any consolation it took myself & a Purdue Engineering graduate (daughter's boyfriend & ex-youth Motocross racer) about 4 hours to do a set of Pirellis this week! We did Tubeliss so I guess that added to it. I like using Slime as the lubricant at the house, on the trail I pack a bottle of hotel shampoo.

The only tools I favor are the Motion Pro Bead Buddy ($14) & their spoon tire irons. They seem to do the least damage to the rim (unlike 100% of everything made by Harbor Freight).

Last edited:
Being new to motos, dual sport adventure and not wanting to be "that guy" with a flat tire on River Road, I decided to put on some new TKC-80s myself. I've put on hundreds on bicycle tires so how much harder could it possibly be? Regardless, it's probably something I should try one time in the safety of my garage.

After reading great reviews for the Baja No Pinch I bought one thinking it would make the job a bit easier. I also got some good tire irons, windex and baby powder as recommended.

After hours of YouTube tutoring, installing and removing a tire at least a dozen times and destroying the bead on a perfectly new $110 tire courtesy of the no pinch, I can honestly say that I regret the day I ordered the Baja. I suppose with better technique I could get it to work. But with a bit of practice I was able to get a tire on in less than 5 minutes with two tire irons and no risk of damaging the bead.

This ended up being a very expensive lesson since I couldn't find a replacement tire in town and had to pay expedited shipping to get a new one before our trip.

Still no guarantee I won't be "that guy" but hopefully it won't be because of a flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain! I destroyed 2 tires before figuring out the trick! My DR650 rear rim is meant for tubeless tires and the tick is to keep the tire from "setting the bead" as your putting it on. There's a good YouTube video on installing a D606 rear tire and there the "trick" is explained!

I'm heading down Wednesday and would like to do some riding Thursday if anyone wants to meet up.

Anyone doing a Thursday ride [...] I'm just wanting something more than gravel backroads.

I'm heading down Wednesday and would like to do some riding Thursday if anyone wants to meet up.

I'm in the same boat. Headed down on Wednesday, staying at Rancho Topanga (old green Chevy truck, tenting). Looking for some not-crazy-fast riders to group up with for a good Thursday ride.

See jetdr21's message (below). I plan to be there.

Anybody that wants to ride on Thursday the 23rd. Let's meet up at the Chili Pepper Cafe. It's at the split it Study Butte next to the bank. Say 8-830 for the best breakfast around then go ride. They open at 8. I am going down on Wednesday and plan to be on the porch by 430 or 5.

LOL, been there done that. I have changed hundreds of tires and still you find some that are just buggers. I just installed the Tubliss setup on the Husky for the trip. It was interesting, totally changes how you install tires. Will be interested to see if I end up with a flat after all this.

A note of 411 from personal experience. On the smaller bikes like 500's or even 650's (sub 275 lbs) if you have rim locks you can ride hundreds of miles on a flat tire. It won't be super fast and every turn will feel like you are on slick snot but it can be done. At one point early in my desert racing years I had more miles ridden with a flat front tire than I did on any inflated front tires. The experience did train me to miss most of the big or sharp rocks and ride smarter instead of just faster.

I'm in the same boat. Headed down on Wednesday, staying at Rancho Topanga (old green Chevy truck, tenting). Looking for some not-crazy-fast riders to group up with for a good Thursday ride.

See jetdr21's message (below). I plan to be there.

This sounds great. I'll meet you guys there Thursday morning.

You guy's coming down Wednesday ,let's meet up at the Chili Pepper between 8-830 Thursday morning. I be game for anything and know my way around.

We are hoping to be there mid-morning on Thursday. At least have time for a getting to know the area spin on the AT.

I am looking at getting there Wed afternoon and hope to do some exploring.

LOL, been there done that. I have changed hundreds of tires and still you find some that are just buggers. I just installed the Tubliss setup on the Husky for the trip. It was interesting, totally changes how you install tires. Will be interested to see if I end up with a flat after all this.

A note of 411 from personal experience. On the smaller bikes like 500's or even 650's (sub 275 lbs) if you have rim locks you can ride hundreds of miles on a flat tire. It won't be super fast and every turn will feel like you are on slick snot but it can be done. At one point early in my desert racing years I had more miles ridden with a flat front tire than I did on any inflated front tires. The experience did train me to miss most of the big or sharp rocks and ride smarter instead of just faster.

Will take any 411 I can get. Thx!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's any consolation it took myself & a Purdue Engineering graduate (daughter's boyfriend & ex-youth Motocross racer) about 4 hours to do a set of Pirellis this week! We did Tubeliss so I guess that added to it. I like using Slime as the lubricant at the house, on the trail I pack a bottle of hotel shampoo.

The only tools I favor are the Motion Pro Bead Buddy ($14) & their spoon tire irons. They seem to do the least damage to the rim (unlike 100% of everything made by Harbor Freight).

Hotel shampoo. Great idea. Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any updates on the wannabe Barney Fife cop down at BBRSP? I plan on riding the state park on Thursday and it would be helpful to know if he is still harrassing riders.

Any updates on the wannabe Barney Fife cop down at BBRSP? I plan on riding the state park on Thursday and it would be helpful to know if he is still harrassing riders.
thats hilarious, we went feb 2014 n stayed at d bunkhouse, n we had a ranger hassle us everyday, we also nicknamed him barney fife, was it a tall skinny guy with glasses?

i haven't the pleasure of meeting him yet but their is a thread somewhere on twt with some info and I think a pic.

I have to ask, what does this cop look for? Speeding on the trails ?

Yeah n i think barney carries a small caliber unloaded pistol with one bullet in his pocket, it couldve been a crosman 177 caliber pellet gun that looks real

Edit; these are Tracks not Routes. Some GPS units will not support these, if you have that problem buy one that does or let me know & I'll make Routes for you.

Philip, I'm running Garmin City Navigator North America maps and the routes don't render correctly. What map do you use?

I need a front tire for DR 650. If anyone can bring one to rally, please PM me. Or knows where I can get one near ft. Davis/Marfa area.

I happen to have an extra Goldentype GT216AA Fatty tire in stock 90/100-21. They are DOT and F.I.M. approved

Let me know, I can bring it if you like

I need a front tire for DR 650. If anyone can bring one to rally, please PM me. Or knows where I can get one near ft. Davis/Marfa area.

I also have couple of DR front tires, D606 and TKC80 I'll bring. If you can use them your welcome to them. Both have about 2k miles but are very good condition.

That d606 would be ideal! I just need enough rubber to get back to el paso. I brought rear tire but needed front.Doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back