• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philip, I'm running Garmin City Navigator North America maps and the routes don't render correctly. What map do you use?

Firstly be sure your unit is capable of Tracks.

Either way you'll need a topographic map to display anything beyond the main park road. Garmin has a Texas Topo but there are also free ones on the internet if you're prepared to hunt about a little.

Leaving San Antonio Tuesday afternoon, will be there Tueasday night, got a spot at the RV park by the hotel. Will be ready to ride wednesday, bringing both bikes so can do any type of riding.

By the way today was my first ride on the new goldentyre front tire and personally I will never run a 606 front tire again. Fine for a rear but this is the best tire of my entire diet life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of going to the BB State Park and becoming fodder for officer zealot with an out of control ego. Abstain from visiting the park at present and write a nice letter to Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept explaining why you chose not to visit on this trip out to the region. They don't have THAT much business. A dozen or more different letters from riders who often travel in groups could help them decide he would be better suited for meter duty in a vespa cart.

Yes, no set date, but since the desert challenge is not being run, Friday would make sense....no dinner afterwards to rush back for so we can watch the sun get sideways from the hot springs.

This sounds killer. I'll be in Wednesday night, lets rendezvous Peter

Here's the GPX files for my planned 3 routes. Anyone is welcome to join 1, 2 or all 3, pace will be moderate especially day 1;

Day 1 - "Official relaxed ride" a River Road loop with Santa Elena Canyon on the way, 110 mile gas range at most. Loop back through the park, take some side roads, whatever.

Day 2 - Through the Terlingua ranch to the East park entrance, Old Ore Road with lunch in Boquillas del Carmen (bring your passport). After that, dealer's choice if there's any afternoon left. Again, about 120 miles of gas needed.

Day 3 - I'm thinking about staying over Sunday in Alpine, maybe parking in Marfa that morning & riding Pinto Canyon road to eats in Presidio. Slab on the way back. Gas in Presidio so 80 mile range is sufficient. Open to suggestions here.

Edit; these are Tracks not Routes. Some GPS units will not support these, if you have that problem buy one that does or let me know & I'll make Routes for you.

Instructions for using Google Maps offline as a backup are here -

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

Remember, if your phone is hunting for signal while you're happily riding you will run out of battery very quickly.

Will your day 1 begin on Thursday or Friday?

Edit. Day 1 is Friday. I will most likely tag a long on Friday and Saturday

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Headed down on Wednesday, staying at Rancho Topanga (old green Chevy truck, tenting). Looking for some not-crazy-fast riders to group up with for a good Thursday ride.

See jetdr21's message (below). I plan to be there.

Disregard my PM! I will meet you there also..

I just bought a sweet Honda CRF450X and it needs some basic set up including plating...Im gonna try to come down wednesday to at least Fort Stockton and then resume on to Terlingua on Thursday morn to set up camp. Would love to get in a short ride Thursday evening before the Fajita Dinner.
Ive got a camping site in Terlingua with water and elec right behind the store...
Im from San Antonio...my TWT name is INFIDEL and my real name is Trace. Ive ridden with many of you on several TARA events in the past. I had a DR650 but wanted something lighter for the sands of Big Bend and Im excited about this new Honda CRF450X...
Im looking for riders of moderate speed to ride with on Friday and Saturday. Ive been to Big Bend before but have only ridden River Road. Im looking to tackle Old Ore, Black Gap and possibly King Kong Hill over in the State Park...
Im interested in a great ride, meeting fun people to ride with in the future.
I have ridden a huge variety of bikes for 40 years and loved them all...but im not a bike elitist. I buy most of mine used on Craigslist so I can afford to own a few... I will help you up if you crash and would hope for the same. I like to stop along the way and take in the scenery and snap a few photos.
Im 59 so a moderate pace and schedule will be the plan. Hope to see you there. Anyone is welcome to ride with me and can text me at 210-392-7980 anytime to meet up.

I just bought a sweet Honda CRF450X and it needs some basic set up including plating...Im gonna try to come down wednesday to at least Fort Stockton and then resume on to Terlingua on Thursday morn to set up camp. Would love to get in a short ride Thursday evening before the Fajita Dinner.
Ive got a camping site in Terlingua with water and elec right behind the store...
Im from San Antonio...my TWT name is INFIDEL and my real name is Trace. Ive ridden with many of you on several TARA events in the past. I had a DR650 but wanted something lighter for the sands of Big Bend and Im excited about this new Honda CRF450X...
Im looking for riders of moderate speed to ride with on Friday and Saturday. Ive been to Big Bend before but have only ridden River Road. Im looking to tackle Old Ore, Black Gap and possibly King Kong Hill over in the State Park...
Im interested in a great ride, meeting fun people to ride with in the future.
I have ridden a huge variety of bikes for 40 years and loved them all...but im not a bike elitist. I buy most of mine used on Craigslist so I can afford to own a few... I will help you up if you crash and would hope for the same. I like to stop along the way and take in the scenery and snap a few photos.
Im 59 so a moderate pace and schedule will be the plan. Hope to see you there. Anyone is welcome to ride with me and can text me at 210-392-7980 anytime to meet up.

Sounds like what I'm looking for also. Big Bend and some State Park. Let talk Thursday. I'll be riding my WR250R.

I'm in and will be camping in Rancho Topanga Campgrounds Wednesday evening - Sunday morning.
Trail boss I'm late to register, so hope to pay Wednesday evening? Or Thursday before dinner if that works? Don't need a mug - lol
Kman, Jetdr21, Randypower, Jdsmetx I would like to join your Thursday group. I will be on a WR250R, my second trip to BBNP. Wouldn't mind checking out the State Park, but nothing too difficult, just take a look around.
Kubotamiketx That 501 sounds nice, I wont bring Scout this time...
Looking forward to meeting people and sharing the beauity of Big Bend. :rider:

I'm in and will be camping in Rancho Topanga Campgrounds Wednesday evening - Sunday morning.
Trail boss I'm late to register, so hope to pay Wednesday evening? Or Thursday before dinner if that works? Don't need a mug - lol
Kman, Jetdr21, Randypower, Jdsmetx I would like to join your Thursday group. I will be on a WR250R, my second trip to BBNP. Wouldn't mind checking out the State Park, but nothing too difficult, just take a look around.

Just FYI, I won't be in until Thursday evening. Probably around 5 pm. Probably not time to ride but will be at the dinner. Look forward to getting a plan together.

F-Ride, I am bringing both bikes, the Husky 501 and the CRF1000L. Will be riding the two up with my wife on the Honda at least one day or part of a day. The rest will be the Husky.

We are planning to spend Wednesday night in Alpine and roll into BB sometime Thursday morning. Hopping to get in some miles Thursday, not sure with anybody or perhaps just my wife and I.

Really getting excited, did the madden voyage with the Husky yesterday at Hidden Falls and managed to not break anything (me or the bike) so it was a great day.

Really getting excited, can't wait to see the country and hang out with a bunch of reprobates!

Me, my son and one more coming Thursday. Will register when we get there. Later taters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-Ride, I am bringing both bikes, the Husky 501 and the CRF1000L. Will be riding the two up with my wife on the Honda at least one day or part of a day. The rest will be the Husky.

We are planning to spend Wednesday night in Alpine and roll into BB sometime Thursday morning. Hopping to get in some miles Thursday, not sure with anybody or perhaps just my wife and I.

Really getting excited, did the madden voyage with the Husky yesterday at Hidden Falls and managed to not break anything (me or the bike) so it was a great day.

Really getting excited, can't wait to see the country and hang out with a bunch of reprobates!

How was Hidden Falls? I have always wanted to check that place out..

Rancho Topango here as well. Arriving Thursday, group of 6. Planning a trip to Bbrsp on Friday if you would like to join. My gf is taking my truck with extra fuel to the entrance, and then riding 2 up with me if anyone wants to join. I'm familiar with both parks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back