• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

You say "flat foot" thats good! I'm also 5'9" 195 lb and 30" inseam and find the seat height on normal (not using low) just fine. I usually mount from the pegs (cowboy style) mostly cause its easier to throw leg over whatever may be put on the back & keeps me from dragging muddy boots across seat.

I switched from Goldwing and really enjoy the AT. Am working on luggage solution, then will be ready for long trip so can wear out those stock tires :rider:

Coming from a fellow Winger, that helps a lot.

what about the seat height? I'm 5'9 and had to step on the peg to mount the AT. When I sat down and put my 180 lbs on it, I could pretty much flat foot it. I would be fairly new to the DS catagory but thinking of trading my Goldwing for something lighter. Want something that can get down the hwy, handle my camping gear and some of the gravel roads in Big Bend that I can't take my GW down. Not going to do any of the serious off roading that some of you cats tackle . The AT seems like a good choice.

We can meet in between and I'll let you ride mine. I think for the price and ride you can't beat it. Ride it and you'll be hooked!

I put 4,400 miles on my Africa twin in 11 days (one rest day).
My complaints are minor (and common): no cruise control, could use an extra gallon of fuel, acc plug sbe standard, foot pegs sbe wider.
Dct is fantastic - especially off Road.
Seat is comfortable - even after 10 or 11 hours.
Engine pulls strong - and bike cruises well at high speeds.
I added a tall windscreen - I am 6'1" ... and it eliminates buffetting.
Just my $.02.
Pete

I put 4,400 miles on my Africa twin in 11 days (one rest day).
My complaints are minor (and common): no cruise control, could use an extra gallon of fuel, acc plug sbe standard, foot pegs sbe wider.
Dct is fantastic - especially off Road.
Seat is comfortable - even after 10 or 11 hours.
Engine pulls strong - and bike cruises well at high speeds.
I added a tall windscreen - I am 6'1" ... and it eliminates buffetting.
Just my $.02.
Pete

Which screen did you get?

Found out why my front bounced so much.

Problem, faring bounced way to much. Solution, pay attention when installing things!:giveup:

I got to looking around the front of the fairing and noticed the one of the two bolts that tie it to the front of the bike was missing and the other was a thread from dropping out.:doh:

I could have sworn I double checked those. Well, no harm done and this time blue lock tight was used. Well no harm done to the bike. The GIVI crash bars? Well that's a different story. I'd highly suggest if anyone buys these bars, before you enstall them, go buy some better screws. There's about 10 screws that are allen heads that are SUPER soft. And they come with blue lock tight on them already. I could not for the life of me get them off. I ended up using a drimel to cut the outside into a flat so I could get a bite on them. They cut like butter. I swapped them out for grade 8 hex screws and I'll paint them black later.

Any ways, all is good now.:rider:

Cf-LLKOFIT4fbJducsWQsnnjZ4NW4mOpXwEku_02sCQZB6_YBFXEX9QLAGAg_S_HMUZ0Y90vwLWzXBU3GzA=w543-h963-no.jpg

BaHmWbdEsMtBQXdGXUDnAQJynVY7q2m3-qUNs3raYpZRZE97EiLoxVyW5zsM7lf3CykBJTe5DKzYI-oMFQ=w1445-h963-no.jpg

wN0wdfQXoZS2UN2IornY40Y9k09o0XhZyfhWpXiK1OonfSHb8ERzPrnOoKEfUKSWid-cwntbaRKU-cPZIA=w1444-h963-no.jpg

iPa_mvf_8qaCCZMlhVxuJsyiTI8aCRyUfM7OQ5QcBfGTNxG2ljzR4kbD4Dx4KWhv83GApmY7rOHzgWn33A=w1445-h963-no.jpg

aELC1LJ7iV8C-d3xrcAR4VHs8ALfKtax-51g310DuBBv45xHxcFY6G91exUX6UMiC7YaGkYasGseeLARcg=w1444-h963-no.jpg

ZdVvaxb5ezufLJXlCrds0Jqla3EiF6ewA04hhQVBBL7aDfW11mrkrRb7iJbyzEZ4EvxxwIqnaDZqY9B8bg=w1444-h963-no.jpg

Still trying to figure out this camera. It's tricky when trying to focus. I spent money on real glasses and still can't see the subject. The last one of the bridge, I was trying to focus out to the middle of the bridge, but ended up more closer to me.

By the way, here are a couple of pics of how I used the Garmin Montana mount on the crossbar. I think it has a clean look that doesn't interfere with the road or the existing cluster.

20170320_233559766_iOS_zpsjuuzqjaj.jpg

20170320_233550658_iOS_zpsa7pskblm.jpg

20170320_233513353_iOS_zpsvugm7awv.jpg

So after 2000 miles, here are my thoughts on this bike.

First the bad, in order from worse to not so bad.

The wo

So is this the best bike in the world? Heavens no. But is this a great bike for the price? 100% yes. And I’m guessing as time goes, there will be factory upgrades. There’s already talk and pictures of a CRF1000 rally bike. So the suspension issue should last too long.

Bryan

I'll add to it once I get better tires and get it off road.

I agree with your comments completely, especially if you are a big boy, and or tall.

Most of the negative comments you have made I have already rectified on my bike.

My biggest negative would be fuel mileage. I usually get on the high side of what people report for fuel mileage on my other bikes. Not so on the AT. For instance I did a blacktop day ride on Saturday. It had a lot of slow twisty back roads like Rod likes to ride, and some 75 mph highway. I got 40 mpg for the day. The dash reads a since since new mpg of 44.1 over 3200 miles which seems high to me. My 40K mile S10 on the other hand seems to get several MPG better on the same type of ride.

Right now I am missing that extra gallon of fuel that S10 carries.

By the way, here are a couple of pics of how I used the Garmin Montana mount on the crossbar. I think it has a clean look that doesn't interfere with the road or the existing cluster.

20170320_233559766_iOS_zpsjuuzqjaj.jpg

I bought two mounts, one the normal ram mount and the other a handle bar mount. I'm going to see how I like it up on top like yours. If I don't I'll just put it on the handlebars in the middle like before.

Shoot, double post because I didn't know which thread I was in.

Ride report,

So I just picked up a new Garmin Montana 650T in Rosenberg. Rode the bike to see what it's do on gas.

I zeroed out in Elgin and filled up in Rosenberg.
129.6 miles using 2.9 gallons. Giving me 44.8 mpg. And that's with the majority of my speeds below what ever the posted limit was. Now I did have a **** of a head wind. I'm going to ride normal at or above speed limits and see what I get on the way back.

Once I got back, the crazy thing is I stopped at the same stores took the same route. Went 129.1 (didn't have to take the .5 mile detour) on 2.8 gallons for 44.9 mpg. And I ran at the posted speed limit or 15 over the speed limit the whole time.

OMG, the wind was horrible. Good news is the MPG is getting better.

GPS is charging. And I was able to save enough money buying this one instead of the 680T that I get to go buy some more riding gear!

Orange Crush is invading the Storm-a-Thon this weekend (4-7 to 4-9) in Kerryville KOA. Three days of hill country riding http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112625&highlight=Storm

They sound like they will meet up with the "Meet and Greet" ride on Sunday
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113602

I am strongly considering it. :rider:
Who else?

I'm still on the stock tires. But a Sat hill country ride sure sounds nice. Which day are you thinking of going?

I have to take the kid to PT Sat morning. That will probably kick me out. But we'll see.

I'm on stock tires too, must wear them out - lol. Sounds like mostly back country roads with minimal gravel. Stockers seem to do fine, just won't make any loose bottom water crossings. I will most likely ride Sat-Sunday, & camp.

I'm on stock tires too, must wear them out - lol. Sounds like mostly back country roads with minimal gravel. Stockers seem to do fine, just won't make any loose bottom water crossings. I will most likely ride Sat-Sunday, & camp.

If the boy can get a ride to PT I'll meet you on Sat, if not it'll be sunday.

You guys are making me want to take the twin out this weekend too... I need to work at Johnson City property Saturday but maybe could meet you guys someplace Sunday morning...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys are making me want to take the twin out this weekend too... I need to work at Johnson City property Saturday but maybe could meet you guys someplace Sunday morning...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will more than likely only be out Sunday. The recruiter told us in the beginning that he'd get my son to and from, but after the second time that stopped. Guess he didn't like the 60 mile round trip for one guy. Should have known not to trust a recruiter, after all they stuck me both times I enlisted lol.

As long as the weather holds out, I'll be there Sunday. If you want to meet up and ride out I'm game.

dangggg you two. now ya got me sneaking a peek at the AT thread... shhhhhh

Back