• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Survey on riding gear choice and rationale from you Galeana Gurus.

I'd trying to decide between motocross/enduro clothing and ADV clothing or mix/match. I'm riding the KTM 500 EXC. I do NOT have a windscreen on my KTM because my GPS mount interferes with a screen plus my handlebars are full of stuff. I have a full complement of MC clothing to choose from (ask my wife), so it's not a matter of buying anything.

- ADV or dirt helmet? ADV has better wind/rain protection and better visibility in traffic vs goggles; dirt = much better ventilation, and can wear glasses vs goggles for better visibility in traffic provided weather is good.
- If motocross/enduro chest protector, hard or soft armor?
- If motocross, jacket and pants: Ventilated with a separate rain/wind shell, or non-ventilated? Colder mornings vs working hard up on the pegs in the sun in the afternoon?
- Motocross or ADV boots?
Mix and matching? ADV jacket and pant with moto armor and knee braces? Or what? Why?

Thanks, Trekers!

Last edited:
This post is for people who need or want to get their vehicle permit and pay for the tourist visa before crossing the border, and especially for those who want to obtain the TVIP in Austin.

I'm no expert, I'm just sharing my experience to help you if you're interested.

SUMMARY:
Today I got the TVIP at the Banjercito inside the consulate in Austin, and completed a form and paid for the tourist visa online. :deal:
The formal name of the document is "Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos."

DETAILS:

I showed up at the appointed time and the security guard came running over to help me the moment I walked in and told me I didn't need an appointment (despite what I had been told earlier and read online but maybe they were just being nice and I was wearing a suit as I do every day at work -- so IDK). You can obviously decide if you want to make an appointment or not.

At the consulate counter three people (two of whom were supervisors) informed me that they cannot issue a tourist visa "and haven't for 10 years."

Next, I reported to the Banjercito counter for a TVIP where the helpful lady informed me, as stated by Fang in post 467, that I could complete the visa request form and pay online.

Moving on to the TVIP, she asked me for the ORIGINAL vehicle registration (license plate payment) receipt, my passport, and for copies of both. She also wanted a copy of the vehicle title. I also provided the electronic pre-authorization that I had completed earlier online (I think I maybe mentioned this in a previous post). She reminded me that I needed a Mexico vehicle insurance policy but did not ask to see it (I took it with me just in case). She said the border agents may ask to see it. They charged my credit card (I had pre-authorized payments in Pesos) 8,218.9 pesos ($465.28) which was $400 deposit on my 2017 KTM and the remainder in fees. There was the usual rubber stamping, signing, and passing lots of copies and documents back and forth.

Then the consulate man smiled, shook my hand, waved good-by, and nicely wished me "Merry Christmas." I wonder how many times I've done that in another language. I smiled and thanked them all.:-P

When I got home I completed the visa request form here:https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html. The computer form charged me 500 pesos $28.30USD and issued me a Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica and a FMME Frontera Norte and a Folio de la Operación.

Awhile after you submit the online form, the Mexican government will email you a link to your official form, the FORMA MIGRATORIA MÚLTIPLE (FMM). You must open this email and print this form and take it with you to the border crossing. It is NOT sufficient to print the last web page for you complete.

So I got a 6-month visa request and TVIP starting in a week (in case I win the lotto and can leave early).

I understand that I'm to show the TVIP and the Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica / PAGO DE DERECHOS POR SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS (aka PAYMENT OF RIGHTS FOR MIGRATION SERVICES) to the government agents at the border crossing.

More on the new consulate location:

I mentioned the new address on Ben White Blvd in a previous post. I entered that address into Waze and it led me a long block away, nearing my appointment time and looking at a maze of buildings for the consulate. I'm glad I was early as I wasted some time driving around. The actual address was the next cross street west of the location the Waze application took me to. Once you get the the correct intersection the consulate has posted lots of small signs leading the way. When I finally got to the right building, I asked my Garmin my current location and it indicated N 30.21780 W 097.72337. It is a brown 2 story building.

Anything else I need to do for the government of Mexico?

So, doing it this way, what needs to actually be done at the border? Getting through the border was the one part of my trip that sucked. Anything I can do to minimize my time there is worth it.

So, doing it this way, what needs to actually be done at the border? Getting through the border was the one part of my trip that sucked. Anything I can do to minimize my time there is worth it.

I hope others can answer more definitively but AFAIK all I need to do is hand the border agent the TVIP, FMM and any supporting documentation and then hopefully hear the usual pounding of rubber stamping and them handing me documents.

In other countries, I've always tried to have all my documents completed and organized then they usually just get me through line quickly and seems to minimize unnecessary drama.:deal::rider:

If there is anything else I'd like to know as well.

Mzungu, Please let us know how it goes at the border. This is on my "bucket list" rides and I am one of those that like to have things in order. So If I could minimize any drama I'm all for it!
Good luck, ride safe, and have fun!!

:popcorn:

My one MexTrek trip, I did everything at the border and it was pretty easy since I had a Spanish speaker with me! I plan on doing all my paperwork at the border again, and hope I can find another translator that will come along with me!

Mzungu, Please let us know how it goes at the border. This is on my "bucket list" rides and I am one of those that like to have things in order. So If I could minimize any drama I'm all for it!
Good luck, ride safe, and have fun!!

:popcorn:

Happy to. If I forget please ping me. I figure if I can do a border entry in 1-2 hours I'm doing good, but have done some in 15-20 minutes, much to my surprise and delight! I've known of cases where it took people 8 hours (usually because their paperwork was not done in advance AND because they refused to pay the requested "expedited service personal fees," but again this is in Africa; not sure about MX. Anyway, I'm trying to avoid that!

Over-prepared? Okay, guilty, your honor!;)

Survey on riding gear choice and rationale from you Galeana Gurus.

I'd trying to decide between motocross/enduro clothing and ADV clothing or mix/match. I'm riding the KTM 500 EXC. I do NOT have a windscreen on my KTM because my GPS mount interferes with a screen plus my handlebars are full of stuff. I have a full complement of MC clothing to choose from (ask my wife), so it's not a matter of buying anything.

- ADV or dirt helmet? ADV has better wind/rain protection and better visibility in traffic vs goggles; dirt = much better ventilation, and can wear glasses vs goggles for better visibility in traffic provided weather is good.
- If motocross/enduro chest protector, hard or soft armor?
- If motocross, jacket and pants: Ventilated with a separate rain/wind shell, or non-ventilated? Colder mornings vs working hard up on the pegs in the sun in the afternoon?
- Motocross or ADV boots?
Mix and matching? ADV jacket and pant with moto armor and knee braces? Or what? Why?

Thanks, Trekers!

Bump

I think the best answer for this is to look at previous MexTrek and other Sierra Madre area ride reports. Look at the pictures. You're not going to find the definitive answer you seek. Much like an oil thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you – a lot of what I saw in the pictures was ADV gear which is kind of why I was asking I guess. I did see some motorcross gear of course. As you suggest, I'll have to make my own decision – just interested in other peoples' thoughts and thought others might benefit is well – that's all.

I guess I'm a little biased toward safety because I was sideswiped in Nairobi and almost run over by a truck which would've been fatal, and I used to be a metropolitan EMT/firefighter and then later military nurse so I've seen plenty of motorcyclists on the street and in the emergency department. I also tend to take one additional step toward safety when I'm in a country where I'd prefer not to get surgery. :-)

All of this wisdom does get overruled by my right hand on the throttle sometimes though :-)

Also, so much of this kind of riding is dictated by terrain, weather and situation and I'm a newb on Mexico, of course.

Or somebody might say "I wore my ventilated gear and I'm so glad I did" or "I wore my ventilated gear and froze my *** off."

Last edited:
Thank you – a lot of what I saw in the pictures was ADV gear which is kind of why I was asking I guess. I did see some motorcross gear of course. As you suggest, I'll have to make my own opinion – just interested in other peoples' thoughts and thought others might benefit is well – that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Disclaimer: The following response is powered by a full day of hot Texas yard work followed up by copious amounts of various combinations of water, barley, hops, and other stuff.

Well, my experience consists of one solo trip down there, so take it for what it's worth. I have spent a fair amount of time riding in Korea, but that's a whole 'nuther animal.

I wore a dirt bike helmet and sunglasses. I had goggles but never used them. My helmet is integrated with a radio, which was irrelevant on my solo ride in Mexico.

I wore knee/shin pads under my OTB goretex KTM pants for all of my riding. They have minimal venting but they were fine. Man parts got a little sweaty, but chicks dig the orange accents, so there's that!

I started off with a soft armored FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and armored gloves but put them away at the border crossing until Galeana. Too hot.
I did wear them during my day trips out of Galeana and was sufficiently comfortable but rode unzipped a lot. I wore Fox motocross boots at all times on the bike.

So, like oil choices I think it really boils down to your own personal risk analysis. My very limited experience in that region allowed me to maintain my belief that the biggest risk to me, is me. I rode slower, more cautiously, and just did not take the risks that I might have here in the states. I did not have any issues with motorists. The only issues I had were directly attributable to me being a *******.

One thing that I didn't concern myself with on my trip; the impact that a mishap would have on a fellow rider. Something to think about, because if you're in a group, and you go down, the rest of the group is not going to just keep going. ATGATT might mean the difference between the group spending a few minutes getting you back on your bike or hours dealing with medical and legal issues.

So, as we get closer, I'm still undecided over the Kilimanjaro jacket or Leat body armor. It'll depend on what the weatherman says the day before I leave. I don't have room for both! I'm on a similar bike as yours. (450 EXC)

Others are obviously welcome to chime in, and my advice is guaranteed for the full purchase price.

I'm SO ready to be on the way! Calgon, take me away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my experience consists of one solo trip down there, so take it for what it's worth. I have spent a fair amount of time riding in Korea, but that's a whole 'nuther animal.

Well, it's more Mexico experience that I have!!! Everything you shared was useful and insightful. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:
So, as we get closer, I'm still undecided over the Kilimanjaro jacket or Leat body armor. It'll depend on what the weatherman says the day before I leave. I don't have room for both! I'm on a similar bike as yours. (450 EXC)

Perhaps this will help you decide what to protect yourself with in Mexico.

I have a Leatt 5.5 Body Protector and had it with me in Colorado last week and didn't wear it - wish I did. All I had on was a Kilimanjaro jacket as well but I did have slide on elbow protectors. Hauling the mail on the Colorado Back Country Discovery Route - COBDR - I came around a corner to an obstacle and grabbed too much front brake and went down hard. Got a nice bruising of the left side of the rib cage.

Moral of the story: if it were me, I'd either wear your Leatt - OR - at least one of those chest type rib-specific protectors. You won't have a SAG truck like I did in Colorado so I understand the limitations on what you can bring.

I'll tell you this: so glad I had those slide on elbow protectors. The one on the left side saved my bacon. Would have had severe trauma on the left forearm and a probably broken elbow if I didn't have it.

I went down fairly close to Steamboat. You'll be in nowhere Mexico. I'd plan now to body armor up. There are anecdotal stories of MexTrek riders going down and getting hurt. Reduce your chances and heed your instincts now. I'm not entirely sure but I think Jon Smiley uses a really good rib protector. You can PM him. I also wore a hip protector that saved my left side there as well. It was my only spectacular get off on the COBDR but it was a doosey.

My only Mexico spectacular crash was actually on pavement. Avoiding a car I dumped my GSA and slid for quite a long ways. Had kevlar jacket and pants on that one so the only real damage was a swollen ankle (even with SIDI boots on).

There is good medical care in Mexico but on MexTrek it will be a long way off. Ride within your abilities. I carry a year long MedJet policy but that's outside the scope of your question. PM me for details.

Added something: Monday Oct 30 - Wednesday Nov 1: For 2017 I am looking into a smaller group staying a few extra days to experience Day of the Dead. It is supposed to be amazing in some parts of Mexico. Any suggestions, please post up for discussion.

David Shin and I might be able to stay a few more days. Will confirm you shortly.

Mark

Peter, if you stay longer for the day of the dead, do you plan to be back in Texas on Wednesday 1, or the next day?

Mark

I'd like to comment on the phrase, "middle of nowhere Mexico."

The places we are going will have some fairly rual and isolated areas, and it often can FEEL very remote and isolated. However I usually have cell phone coverage for most of it, and it truly is quite similar to traveling in many rural and less populated areas in the USA. In my opinion, the areas we are going, for the most part, are less "middle of nowhere-ish" than much of the Southwest around El Paso, Yuma, Terlingua, etc.

So, of course be prepared for a good ride! But don't panic. Being in the beautiful mountains of Mexico logistically is very similar to being anywhere else.

-Steve

So, of course be prepared for a good ride! But don't panic. Being in the beautiful mountains of Mexico logistically is very similar to being anywhere else.

Unless apparently you fail to torque down the bolts on your motorcycle and need someone who speaks Spanish to go find replacements for you

:giveup:

Sorry, all in fun - had to do it! ;)

I resemble that...
In Big Bend my ribs were layin on a rock next to me crying ��

I third that: 2 weeks ago, Rich was a witness in a riverbed fly off the bike (bike upside down) my elbow, chest protector, helmet, heck full gear saved me to "without a scratch"

and then Doug was a witness down wet pavement after some rain on a slick oily turn, my bike was hurt but my gear saved my butt again to "without a scratch." Well, maybe a fractured thumb, but it could always easily be a lot worst the less gear you wear.

Follow your gut, who cares what everyone else is wearing.

Last edited:
I am hoping to make this trip and have a few questions that someone may be able to answer:

1) My 2009 Yamaha XT250 has a stock carburetor and does well around home (San Antonio, 1200 feet above sea level). Does anyone feel I will need to change my jetting for the higher altitude of Galaena / Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range?

2) I am dirt rider / racer and don't have a lot of experience on the road. I am concerned about the XT250 and the higher speeds on the road between the Mexican border and Galaena. The bike seems to do alright at 50-60mph, but that will probably be its limit loaded with gear. Are there other travelers that keep it on the slow side when traveling on the highway?

3) I am new to dual sporting and traveling with panniers / gear bags. Once you are settled into a hotel at Galaena, do the panniers / gear bags typically come off and remain behind at the hotel? Do you take with you just what is needed on the daily trail excursions (in a smaller bag / backpack / tail bag)?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

I am hoping to make this trip and have a few questions that someone may be able to answer:

1) My 2009 Yamaha XT250 has a stock carburetor and does well around home (San Antonio, 1200 feet above sea level). Does anyone feel I will need to change my jetting for the higher altitude of Galaena / Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range?

I'm no motorcycle mechanic and it's a different bike so take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt.

I used to have a 2012 DRZ 400 S – obviously carbureted – and I lived at 7400 feet in Colorado. I would ride the bike on dirt roads up to 9000 feet or so with no problem. I didn't experience any obvious problems or sounds and while it may not have performed optimally it was able to carry my 200 pound body plus gear around.

Obviously having a 400 cc motor helped with the power so although your engine might run fine depending on how much your bike is carrying it may or may not have power issues as defined by you.

I'm not qualified to address your other questions and I'm probably not qualified to address the one I just did :-)

If you want a definitive answer you might call Jeff at Slavens Racing in Colorado Springs or there is a Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda shop in Colorado Springs but I can't remember the name of it – you could probably figure it out by googling. It would have a 719 area code.

Hope to see you on the trail with a big smile on your face!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back