• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Garage

Wish I would of had more room for more garage. With what area I had, 28 x 28 feet was the biggest I could fit in. In the what if category > if I would of taken out the 12 x 20 all iron shop before. But, then , where would I of stash all the STUFF in the Shop. Also, Rita hit right after pouring the slab for the Garage.

At the start of yesterday morning, we were here on the put back together.
IMG_1012-1.jpg

Has been one fun learning experience though the whole process. I'm pretty sure I have about 500 bucks in the total expenses with having to buy a paint gun also. If I would of turned it into my ins to repair, 500 deductible and a long wait and a better , more complete job. But, I would of not learned anything and need to keep this 74 yr old mind and body busy. And , as of yesterday noon, is back on it's feet and ready for the road. But, Maw Nature delayed that till today as my morning walk about the yard at 3:30A showed me a sky of stars.

A self applied paint job that's not perfect but will do. Was a fun experience as had not used a paint gun in about 30 yrs. And all motorcycles back then. Still have work to do with a polisher and compound/finishing and a very slight run to take out. But , have it driveable again so it can be in competition with the two bikes for my afternoon rides. ;-)

Last week I needed to fire up the old Lincoln Cracker Box I've been having for 40 yrs now. It got the job done but the fan was sounding ruff. So, last night, took it apart for a good cleaning and check out. Probably had not been apart in over 20 years when I replaced a resistor. Much dirt and a bit of rust so let the cleaning begin. Then wire brush and primer paint jobs.
Shut down for the night and back at it at 3AM this morning with a clear coat or two and reassemble. Purrs like a kitten and can barely hear the fan now.
IMG_1020-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's when you first walk into the Garage early in the morning wondering what you are going to do today and these two greets you. I have just stand there and grin and take a picture.
Wednesday%20Morning%20View%20of%20Garage.jpg

Last edited:
Andy: what about replacing the incandescents with new hi-power LED lights? more light for less KW cost and never need to replace them.:trust:

Wally,
I was going to on this rebuild. A couple things prevented it. 1st, was sent the wrong LED bulbs, Next was when I wired in the resistors and tested, they were very hot. I may do it later with a different approach of changing out the a flasher unit under the dash that controls all this.
My next project is a radio swap, loose the sirius radio, re-soldier resistors in the temp controller to get the display back. That's all in the same area so hopefully one trip in there for all 3.

Tried to delete a double post but not understanding how to.

Last edited:
My garage only has two motorcycles and no cars. But it has 4 bicycles, lumber rack, fridge, cabinet saw, 3 workbenches, router table, grinding station, drill press, two shelf units, 2 roll around tool boxes, dust collector, tire changing stand, helmet/mc rack, compressor, 80+ clamps and I'm sure I'm leaving out some other stuff big stuff.

I'm just starting construction on my house (down in the Waco area). I'm going to keep it simple for now but it will include a 2 car garage that will be mostly bike shop and work space (if the auto needs something I will do it there and pull it out when done as needed too),

One thing I am going to incorporate is a large work table that has roller feet on it and I want to build into it a table saw, router table, and large sacrificial metal working surface on it that comes off easily (Once it's sparked up too much), plus the ability to lower all the blades and have it just be a good large flat work surface. I'll probably make the metal surface out of a 1/8 inch aluminum sheet since I will be mostly welding steel to start with and put a good piece of 3/4 cabinet plywood underneath to screw things on to and allow for flush mounting the cutting instruments. Some parts might get melty but it should hold up fine over some time.

I might have a side bench for a few other stationary items but I am trying to find me a proper drill press and band saw that will stand on its own and then figure out a way to include a removable bench grinder and vice (probably a receiver hitch style setup made out of some square stock) into the table as well.

Aside from that I'll just have a wall space that houses a new scroll compressor (super quiet) and a tool box(es) along with the multiprocess welder,

I was on Garage Journal the other day and saw a great idea for a side bench that would allow me to include more storage using some of the roller cabinets like Home despot makes and also have an appropriate height for a small parts washer and a few other items that will probably sit on top of the side bench when whatever is underneath is not in use.

What I'm really liking is how many metal buildings are starting to show up down here. Like 80 x 100 on a slab and living quarters constructed in a corner or the front 1/3 with garage/shop/storage the other 2/3's. Plus 115 mph wind certified.

The newest attack on the Coupe is the radio and associated stuff. The Sirius Radio was the first to be removed after getting the console pieces out of the way. Was more of a hassle than removing the Temp controller and oem radio for sure.
Then today, attacked on the temp control module that was not showing anything on the face but still working just fine. So, apart it come this morning. I thought. Didn't have a 3/16 driver or deep socket so to the store I go.
Now it's apart but was food time for da Luce and I at near 12N so project is off till tomorrow morning.
Then solider time on the 8 resistors that are famous for cold joints. I had fixed a problem on the ECMB last month and so far , no more problems with that.
A pic of the board I need to work on tomorrow. Ride time this afternoon. ;)
ScreenHunter_816%20Nov.%2016%2011.56.jpg

Last edited:
One of my ex-hobbies was Amateur Radio in the late '70's with building my radio and accessories from kits from Heathkit. Was fun and love sending / receiving code but computers ruined that for many of us.

YES! Project with Radio, Sirius Removal and Temperature Controller readout done deal as of yesterday noon and amazingly, all works, nothing left over. LOL.
Started with tear down of the center console then removal of the Sat radio set up which took awhile.
Then instalment of the single din Pioneer radio and it's custom wiring harness from Crutchfield and test.
IMG_1045-1.jpg

Then re mounting the temperture control module
IMG_1047-1.jpg

Then putting the console back together and making sure all works
C520dash201.jpg

Then a 80 mile roadtest to make sure. ;-)

This project was to replace an aluminum rack on my 1250S Suzuki. The rack had broken just about the mounting points and I had my bro in law weld it back up. But, that lasted about 4K miles before breaking again at the weld. I guess I really could not gripe too loud as the unit held up for about 70K miles of supporting different tail boxes. And mostly a large Givi when touring.
So, decided to build my own instead of spending 190 bucks for one just like it.
I started with piece left over from when my garage was constructed in '04.
Shown leaning on my work table leg.
Rack207.jpg

Bu the time the measuring and cutting via torch and grinding and drilling the mounting holes, the welding took place.
I do miss my MIG set up I had to throw away a few months back as had to use my old Lincoln AC crackerbox I had redone awhile back. And practice a bit before welding on the project.
So, the end product
6893439f-c294-4efd-9e12-4de7d2ba8c2c.jpg

Rack202.jpg

I could of used a dremel and cleaned it up some more on the braces, and may do it in the future. But want to see if that thin iron is going to hold up first.
Then the top box mounting plate.
2fc1e162-ce41-4ae3-9de6-929178b90a6c.jpg

Which is gonna hold a box I got off JC Whitney or the like a few years back.
And the project finished.
7f19fbb6-bab1-4f95-8637-de445dc00288.jpg

Rack%205.jpg

Attachments

• 12%2002%202017%20VetHome.jpg
    12%2002%202017%20VetHome.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Some radical rides, Andy. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing! Some very nice rigs.

You really wanted us to see those pictures, what with the 4k resolution....

Had fun visiting with the residences at the War home and they loved the cars and interactions with the owners and visitors.
All pics taken with either my 3Ti or G16 Canons in RAW. Hated that I had lots of them with the sun in the wrong place but it is what it is. Also with the 3Ti and mostly in the Ap mode at 22 and 16 did cause some blurring.
Processing in LR6 with my own basic presets and then to VallenJPegger for downsizing for faster uploads to my Photobucket account and saving space.

Had fun visiting with the residences at the War home and they loved the cars and interactions with the owners and visitors.
All pics taken with either my 3Ti or G16 Canons in RAW. Hated that I had lots of them with the sun in the wrong place but it is what it is. Also with the 3Ti and mostly in the Ap mode at 22 and 16 did cause some blurring.
Processing in LR6 with my own basic presets and then to VallenJPegger for downsizing for faster uploads to my Photobucket account and saving space.

I'm surprised anyone is still using Photobucket after the mess they pulled trying to hold people's photo's hostage with no free way to link from various websites.

I'm on their low cost plan that just knocks out the advertising. Been there for many years. Sometimes on weekends they are terrible for uploading at times. I have thousands of pics already with them. Really need to get another solid state usb drive and download them all just incase I need to go else where with them.

the view out of my east facing window yesterday morn at day break.
Snow%2012%2008%202017.jpg

Of course, soon as the snow quit around noonish, it all melted away. But , a beautiful frost this morning I just didn't think to take a pic of.

I see your problem now.

Not enough garage/shop. Time for an addition/separate building.

Just trying to be helpful.;-)

Larry

Back