• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

On a canoe trip, stealth camped along the Suwannee river in FL. A gentle slow rain fell during the night lulling me to a deep sleep.

In the morning, discovered the drops pelting the tent were actually droppings from a multitude of buzzards roosting overhead. :eek2:

Got a new travel pillow for Christmas, pretty inexpensive at $15, there is another version for $10, we'll see how it works out. Basically, it's a clone of the $40 Sea to Summit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FQJV82/?tag=twowhetex-20

I have the Nemo Fillo that came with my sleeping bag as a free gift, but I'm a stomach sleeper and it's just not enough for me.

On a canoe trip, stealth camped along the Suwannee river in FL. A gentle slow rain fell during the night lulling me to a deep sleep.

In the morning, discovered the drops pelting the tent were actually droppings from a multitude of buzzards roosting overhead. :eek2:

River camping on the Brazos was the reason I bought the $59.00 Bass Pro tent (1/2 off door buster). Never know when you will be chased off of a campsite by floods, animals, or angry people. The life cycle of a tent intended to ride in a dank boat hull is short anyway. Fast forward about 6 years, and this thing is still kicking. I used it at Bob's TG camp-out a few weeks ago.

Definitely a top five cheap gear purchase! (Still can be had for only $49.00)

I backpack the Lone-star Hiking Trail quite often and that was one of my reasons for getting back into riding, I wanted to ride to the trails and back instead of driving. I’ve spent a lot of money on nice gear, but some of my most used bits of kit I made myself. I’m a hammock camper most of the time and I’ve made my own hammock and quilt set. In moderate climates I use them more than my expensive custom gear and they work great!

Teaching myself to sew saved me a lot of money on some neat gear. I’ve got some videos on my YouTube channel showing how I made some of it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCalrtYLDb8KxxjuDEwcoPEw

Also, a cheap way to make a tarp or ground cloth is using tyvek. You can usually scavenge some from building sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used old ratchet straps for tree straps. But I have not over-nighted with it, just afternoon naps to cool off in the heat.

Last couple of trips I have heated tortillas on Sterno stoves and it's just great. The combination of a grill top and subtle flame is perfect for toasting that tortilla before stuffing it with beans or fajita mix. It's much better on a toasty tortilla than a cold one.

The Sterno stove can also run on wood if you have the time. It folds flat and is very compact.

There are two styles:

Old style stove

hqdefault.jpg

New one
55379733992c2e11b1501f8ab2978365.jpg

Neither are what I use to boil water.

Last edited:
I used old ratchet straps for tree straps. But I have not over-nighted with it, just afternoon naps to cool off in the heat.

I do the same thing. Most of the cheap ones are rated for 300 lbs so should be plenty strong enough. I've got the "Atlas Straps" from ENO as well and honestly haven't used them once. Should probably start since they take up a little less space than two ratchet straps in the side case. :giveup:

Texas state parks now require 2” webbing because too many people were using rope and chain and damaging trees. Can get that cheaply by cutting out seatbelts at a wrecker yard or ripstopbytheroll.com

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks/park-rules

While camping on the cheap you still want to be safe.

Setting the hammock up with the right angles affects the loads placed upon the straps, so be careful using the 300lb hf straps. Depending on setup and weight of user they may not support the load. Especially if you move around in your sleep, the dynamic load of bouncing around could over stress them if not set up properly.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Just a heads-up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You guys may want to research engine cooking. You could take your frozen spaghetti and put in on the bikes motor and have it warm when you hit the campsite.

m

That's Marine Corps cooking. I used to tie my MRE to the horizontally mounted spare tire on top of the truck in the desert. 130F with blazing sun and a black wheel meant that MRE was piping hot when I went to eat it.

Got this sleeping bag as a Christmas gift (on my wish list)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIQH9JG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1OP69M6WL3MD&colid=ZQNGNLVGO08H&psc=0

I really like the bag. It's comfortable, lightish, and lots of leg room however it's very very snug on my shoulders. Really not workable unless I left it partially unzipped which may be a problem if it gets really cold.

Anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced, lightweight bag that has broader top? I see a Big Agnes option but it's $$$!

US Mil surpluss MSS (Modular Sleep System). Used to be able to get them for 60 dollars all day new in the wrapper. Now days an excellent condition unit will run you about 100-110. But it's a 3 piece system (4 if you count the compression sack). Bivvy goretex sack, patrol bag (lightweight 40 degree bag) and the intermediate bag rated to -10F.

You can combine the patrol and intermediate bag to form a -40degree bag. It's not the lighest or most compact but hard to beat for the money compared to more modern ($$$$$$$$$$$) options. Each item also functions fine on it's own. So during the summer/spring/fall I usually only pack the lightweight patrol bag and during winter will just pack the heavier weight intermediate bag.

A few times (usually during the dead of winter) i'll sometimes go minimalist and use the whole system together and just ground camp in the bivy sack. I'm 5' 8" and around 190-200 and the system fits me great with some room to spare. But it's still a mummy bag system. I'm not sure how large you are so this may or may not be an option for you.

...Me, I refill a lot of things, but I figure I can afford a buck a year for that tiny tube.

You either need to travel more or brush more. LOL I carry a larger than travel size 50ml tube and still need to refill it monthly.

The little things can and do add up. But I'm extremely frugal and conservative on things of my choosing. When I'm away traveling/camping I even turn off my water heater at home to save approx 25 cents a day in electricity.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Refilling toothpaste tubes? Geez, that IS cheap! I like to do things the expensive way. I go buy a bunch of travel stuff and put it in a gallon zip lock bag. Then, when I'm several hundred miles away I read the text from my wife that I left my toiletry bag on the bathroom counter. So I go to WalMart and buy more travel size stuff. That's how I roll. :D

Refilling toothpaste tubes? Geez, that IS cheap! I like to do things the expensive way. I go buy a bunch of travel stuff and put it in a gallon zip lock bag. Then, when I'm several hundred miles away I read the text from my wife that I left my toiletry bag on the bathroom counter. So I go to WalMart and buy more travel size stuff. That's how I roll. :D

:lol2:

In my family, our camping motto is "For everything else, there's Walmart." About 15 years ago, we had a mishap with our trailer the day before we were supposed to leave. Peggy, the owner of Western Campers in Ft Worth, kindly loaned us a Coleman camper. I brought it home and, in less than 15 minutes, we had opened both trailers, tossed our stuff in the loaner, and were on our way to Crested Butte. All well & good until I remembered that I hadn't remembered our sleeping bags.

There's a great Walmart in Salida & I've helped keep them in business over the years. Popped in, bought two bags, popped out, and arrived at our campground 3 hours later. We're still using those bags. Thank you, Walmart.

This type of purchase should have its own thread. Went camping with my wife and two daughters when they were really young. Got into Utah and realized we'd left our pillows at the last KOA cabin we rented. Went into a Rez store and there were 4 pillows on the shelf. An Indian woman saw them the same time I did. She grabbed two and I grabbed two. They were about $3 apiece. I stood there a minute, knowing I couldn't go back out with only two pillows.

Her two pillows cost me an extra $15.

In my family, our camping motto is "For everything else, there's Walmart." About 15 years ago, we had a mishap with our trailer the day before we were supposed to leave. Peggy, the owner of Western Campers in Ft Worth, kindly loaned us a Coleman camper. I brought it home and, in less than 15 minutes, we had opened both trailers, tossed our stuff in the loaner, and were on our way to Crested Butte. All well & good until I remembered that I hadn't remembered our sleeping bags.

There's a great Walmart in Salida & I've helped keep them in business over the years. Popped in, bought two bags, popped out, and arrived at our campground 3 hours later. We're still using those bags. Thank you, Walmart.

[ame="https://youtu.be/OO2CplYD03Y"]Sleeping Bag in a Can!? - YouTube[/ame]

Kinda interesting.

That, plus cold-brew coffee, and I'm a happy camper.

Cold brew coffee has been a life changer for me. My FIL introduced it to me ten or so years ago, and I have been making it ever since. I used to use milk in my coffee, to cut the acidity, but the cold brew process ( which removes the acids) has remedied that and helped my heart burn. Been drinking my coffee black, since.

Anyway, it's been great for moto camping, and have converted a few riding buddies after they have tried it. Longest I have motor camped with it on me (non-refridged) is two weeks, and didn't have any spoilage issues.

...I used to use milk in my coffee, to cut the acidity, but the cold brew process ( which removes the acids) has remedied that and helped my heart burn. Been drinking my coffee black, since...

Drink plenty of water before, during and after coffee for a similar effect. I drink equal amounts of water and hot black coffee every morning. You need the hydration anyway so get a jump on the day at the same time.

Cold brew coffee has been a life changer for me. My FIL introduced it to me ten or so years ago, and I have been making it ever since. I used to use milk in my coffee, to cut the acidity, but the cold brew process ( which removes the acids) has remedied that and helped my heart burn. Been drinking my coffee black, since.

Anyway, it's been great for moto camping, and have converted a few riding buddies after they have tried it. Longest I have motor camped with it on me (non-refridged) is two weeks, and didn't have any spoilage issues.

I’ve never been much of a coffee drinker, but I do like a nice black coffee when it’s cold outside and I’m going to have to be out in it. Cold brew is a great substitute on a warm day. It’s a totally different experience than just plain iced coffee, and is actually a refreshing treat on a hot day. Good stuff!

Winner of the Morning Chuckle While Drinking Coffee Award 2018 :thumb:

Back