• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Outlaw Trax

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
This won't matter to most but just got word they will be closing. Private park but still another riding area lost. Not good.

Bummer. I wonder in the coming years how many riding areas were going to lose because the property owners are aging out and their heirs don't want to continue the riding area?

Our other local spot is for sale. If forest doesn't open, we're done in this area.

Just not enough demand here to make it work... Brad is a businessman, he has to make the numbers work. I don't think Sterling Ranch has ever been in the black. He once told me he was really doing it to try to teach his sons about running a business and also to have a place for them to ride.

Also, having to pay every time you want to go ride, or have an expensive membership may be a factor for many folks :shrug:

The near total lack of public land in Texas available to ride dirt bikes on is becoming a bigger issue faster than ever, and it is not going to end well.

Our club is still strong, but the expense of everything is going up at an alarming rate, thanks to hunters with deep pockets that will pay nearly any amount asked to lease land. The other issue that I see is the group that is running things and keeping things strong is aging rapidly. We don't really see enough of the younger folks stepping up.

Honestly, the riders in general aren't the same either. We hosted a open riding weekend at our 13,000 acre lease this past fall. We fed everyone an awesome dinner on Saturday night and did our best to be great hosts. We had mostly just ATV and SxS riders show. I doubt we try that again.

This sport has been great to me. All my friends I have are because I met them while riding dirt bikes. Every single friend. That includes new friends I have met here on this site, even though I only see them a time or two a year. My grown kids still love to ride with me and spending time with them at this stage is priceless to me. I hate to see where our sport here in Texas is headed, but I am not real optimistic, and it is not from lack of trying.

The near total lack of public land in Texas available to ride dirt bikes on is becoming a bigger issue faster than ever, and it is not going to end well.

Our club is still strong, but the expense of everything is going up at an alarming rate, thanks to hunters with deep pockets that will pay nearly any amount asked to lease land. The other issue that I see is the group that is running things and keeping things strong is aging rapidly. We don't really see enough of the younger folks stepping up.

Honestly, the riders in general aren't the same either. We hosted a open riding weekend at our 13,000 acre lease this past fall. We fed everyone an awesome dinner on Saturday night and did our best to be great hosts. We had mostly just ATV and SxS riders show. I doubt we try that again.

This sport has been great to me. All my friends I have are because I met them while riding dirt bikes. Every single friend. That includes new friends I have met here on this site, even though I only see them a time or two a year. My grown kids still love to ride with me and spending time with them at this stage is priceless to me. I hate to see where our sport here in Texas is headed, but I am not real optimistic, and it is not from lack of trying.

I think you nailed all the points.

Just not enough demand here to make it work... Brad is a businessman, he has to make the numbers work. I don't think Sterling Ranch has ever been in the black. He once told me he was really doing it to try to teach his sons about running a business and also to have a place for them to ride.

Also, having to pay every time you want to go ride, or have an expensive membership may be a factor for many folks :shrug:

I'm sure Sterling Ranch is not getting rich off us, that said membership or lack of isn't the problem at Outlaw, landowner not really hands on anymore and daughter who basically runs it doesn't want us, end of story.:giveup:

Beautiful day and ride at Sterling Ranch Sunday. The place was full of riders!!:rider:

Attachments

• 26685805_10215194649677747_6189031478537372380_o.jpg
    26685805_10215194649677747_6189031478537372380_o.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 389
  • 26805407_10215760943476027_1479501221927507189_n.jpg
    26805407_10215760943476027_1479501221927507189_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 26239880_10215760944356049_8315734945681839960_n.jpg
    26239880_10215760944356049_8315734945681839960_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 26805293_10215760944636056_3585437827935381078_n.jpg
    26805293_10215760944636056_3585437827935381078_n.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 244
The dog is my moto dog, Sprocket! Loves to hang with riders.

I'm sure Sterling Ranch is not getting rich off us, that said membership or lack of isn't the problem at Outlaw, landowner not really hands on anymore and daughter who basically runs it doesn't want us, end of story.:giveup:

:tab That's a shame... but totally understandable if it's just not something she's into doing. It would be nice if she might sell to someone that would continue it as a bike park, but they'd likely be facing the same issues as Brad at Sterling Ranch.

:tab I think the ATV/SxS crowd will likely continue to grow. They are perceived as being safer and requiring less skill to operate. You don't have to buy all the extra gear to ride in them. Many folks don't even use helmets. Also, they are not quite as focused in their use. The ATV/SxS's can be used for more than just trail riding. Heck, in many parts of Northern Arkansas, they are essentially the family vehicle! In many of the best motorcycle riding places like Moab, SW Colorado, etc,... the ATVs and SxSs are all over the place now!

I really wanted to make your ride this year but it was the same weekend as an event I was committed to in NW Arkansas and since I had bailed on those guys a couple of times because of work commitments I wanted to make this one.

Lack of riding areas is getting tough. I try to frequent all the local ones as often as possible. Hidden Falls, Zars, CTOR, and Powell are great central Texas riding areas
Hidden Falls, CTOR and Powell all offer day use fees
Zars is a membership or guest of member on site situation

I feel for the guys in the Houston area as the Forrest has been closed for some time and most of the remainder is MX track focused from what I see

East Texas has Barnwell and Dallas has a few places Red River and a few others I believe

:tab That's a shame... but totally understandable if it's just not something she's into doing. It would be nice if she might sell to someone that would continue it as a bike park, but they'd likely be facing the same issues as Brad at Sterling Ranch.

:tab I think the ATV/SxS crowd will likely continue to grow. They are perceived as being safer and requiring less skill to operate. You don't have to buy all the extra gear to ride in them. Many folks don't even use helmets. Also, they are not quite as focused in their use. The ATV/SxS's can be used for more than just trail riding. Heck, in many parts of Northern Arkansas, they are essentially the family vehicle! In many of the best motorcycle riding places like Moab, SW Colorado, etc,... the ATVs and SxSs are all over the place now!

I understand some of it is for sale, break that piggy bank open!

I, for one, am thankful for Sterling Ranch,after this weekend I will be attending regularly, put the word out to my non ODODB buds too, we will be back this weekend. Even when forest opens I will split my time just to support them, the trails are night and day better from 2+ years ago.

Sounds good I was thinking about making a trip over there to try the
place out soon, I can take the wife to Huntsville to spend the day with our
daughter who is at Sam Houston and then go play

Sounds good I was thinking about making a trip over there to try the
place out soon, I can take the wife to Huntsville to spend the day with our
daughter who is at Sam Houston and then go play

I love the place but always want to be sure out of town folks understand what it is and isn't.

It's a small property, not really anywhere to just explore. 170 acres I believe.
Trails for the most part are beginner friendly, 1 easy/hard split.

What it is really, is a TORCS race track, literally. So very good practice even if you don't race. The loop is 5 miles unless you go with me and I have a 1 1/2 he's not using for some reason. Either way it's a 20-25 minute, rinse and repeat. For now it's what we have. And glad to have it.

I, for one, am thankful for Sterling Ranch,after this weekend I will be attending regularly, put the word out to my non ODODB buds too, we will be back this weekend. Even when forest opens I will split my time just to support them, the trails are night and day better from 2+ years ago.

What is the status of the Forest? Thanks.

Back