• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ experts inside

No ... just the one side.

How's the new gixxerjasen?

I saw two versions ... with two and with one.
I wanted the single. and to be honest, with Amazon, the descriptions aren't always the best. I was prepared for either.

I chose to use the Acebris petcock and not alter the tank to accommodate a WR petcock. I also think the use of "wood" screws to install the petcock is a little sketchy ...

Rumor has it you have a new gixxer, jasen.

I must say ...
This experience has turned into something I didn't want to tackle.
I never wanted another project but found myself neck deep.

The side effect is I now have a couple tubs of spares and some experience with this platform.
Maybe I should take on another one. I may have some time on my hands in the near future.

I showed Doug an 05 DRZ400S on Craigslist that needed a battery and carb attention.
$1500 in Millsap. Close to my budget. I called this morning and the bike had sold.

Last edited:
Yea, my tank came with the bike. Bonus on having two is never having to tip the bike over to access the "Secret reserve" but not sure it's worth all the trouble I had to plumb it and replacing petcocks and such. It actually was the one on the right that was leaking so if I only had one I'd have been fine. But the petcocks are cheap off Amazon and now I know I have two good ones.

I actually contemplated not plumbing the second one. Just attaching a foot or so of fuel line to it so I could drain to another container in case some kind of fuel transfer was necessary. Could still do that I suppose. Really need to finish up and get it registered so I can ride it in the spring.

Nope, no new gixxer for me. Technically. It's actually a gixxus. GSX-S1000 and it's a hoot. With the no fairing and dirt bike style fatbars, it feels like someone stuffed a gixxer 1000 motor into a DRZ.

I stand corrected. ;-)

The double seems like a good idea. But after building race cars, minimizing system breaches eliminates a lot of headaches on race weekends. running fuel all over the motor just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I bet an aluminum block-off plate could be easily fabbed to eliminate the right side petcock.

Best shot I have of the bottom of the tank.

I guess we could block it off. Of course we can play the other game. If something goes wrong with one, plugged up, etc, I have a second one ready to go! :D

2017-12-13%2020.38.13-L.jpg

Since you asked, I'll whore out the gixxus with a picture.

2018-01-06%2015.01.28-L.jpg

Jeez ... that thing looks insane

The word I liked that kept coming up in all the reviews I read or watched was "Bonkers." It truly fits.

I read that ... thought it referred to the owners, not the bike.

LOL

The current production Acerbis 3.7 tank for the DRZ is a single petcock design.
Perhaps that dual petcock design is older 3.7 gal? or the 3.9 gal tank

Yes, it's definitely older. I got it with the bike not installed so not sure of the exact model.

... I must say ...
This experience has turned into something I didn't want to tackle.
I never wanted another project but found myself neck deep.

The side effect is I now have a couple tubs of spares and some experience with this platform.
Maybe I should take on another one. I may have some time on my hands in the near future....

That's how I got all those parts. I have been mowing, painting and fixing the house so we can list it and move forward.

Been a tough time. I did have a steak cooked in butter in a skillet yesterday. Not to mention hung out with our people. Was a hoot.

I'm afraid I'm deeply into debt to you, Erik and skinless Jim. Norton John even busted a knuckle on the hooligan.

I believe you molested it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey mitch i have a corbin seat off my 2013 drz if you want too try it .never used it nice seat i have taller after market seat on mine . i live about 3 minutes from you .td

I recall you live over here somewhere.
PM sent ...

Hey Tony, what are you doing with DR-Z stuff, all that bleeding orange and such. Watch out for that durned Mitch...

Hey Mitch, the Seat Concepts seat is better, but you should find your own way....:rider:

The current production Acerbis 3.7 tank for the DRZ is a single petcock design.
Perhaps that dual petcock design is older 3.7 gal? or the 3.9 gal tank

The 3.9 are still made, they are sold for the 400e as they use the e mounting and supposedly don’t have room for the fan. I recently purchased a black 3.9 dual petcock from justgastanks. I like the tank much better than the ims I replaced for it. Just my luck though first trip out to Emma long with the acerbis 3.9 I quickly overheated the bike so i ordered a fan and realized the fan won’t fit with the tank.

doug i am a lot like you i bleed red yellow orange green :rider:. drz for colorado crf 250 moto masters .300 ktm woods rm 125 cr 250 2 stroke for vintage.1600 mean streak just because its pretty:eek2:

Tony, I am out of the KTM game, I did love every one of them. Now I have an Aprilia, and 5 Suzukis, I guess I am bleeding blue these days. Take good care of Mitch, he is a good guy.

Hey Doug ... yer ruining my street cred.

I have gifts ... found 3 roll bar clamps and a pencil air gun.

Last edited:
I knew you were good for something, Mitch. Work had me down today, now I am better

Back