• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show (warning: spoilers)

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Seems the Austin MotoGP race is sneaking up without a lot of chatter here. So, I'll start a thread to post up who's going, meetups, etc. Also note that the Handbuild Motorcycle Show is moving this year, and it's no longer a free event. Still, I'll be attending!

I'll be going with General Admin tickets again, hanging out around turns 5 and 10. I'll be there each day, and happy to meetup with any out of towners coming in for the event...

Last edited:
Re: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show

Yep, GA tickets for me again this year. And I love 5-10 for race day. Saturday I'll be wandering a lot with the camera.

Looks like the Statesman parking lot. $15 for day pass, $40 for 3 day pass. They will have Wall of Death shows too.

I bought the COTA package that was announced today

General Admission but it includes a front row seat for the MMA fight between Rossi and Marquez :box:

I bought the COTA package that was announced today

General Admission but it includes a front row seat for the MMA fight between Rossi and Marquez :box:

Don't get me started on that one. And it might be more than Rossi in one corner.

GA for me too. Might skip the handbuilt show this year .

Called, West ticket office open next week Monday through Thursday 10 to 5. I'm going to ride out and PU my G A. Avoid any lines on Friday or Saturday.
Anyone know of a small foldable 3 led stool about 30" or so? I didn't see one at academy. I used a dove chair last year, too short, want something higher. No high dollar REI though :-P

The thing with that hand built is last year it was Friday night and Sat. will be at GP. Wish they had it another weekend, really enjoy it. Was looking forward to riding the wall of death this year.

GA and MC show for me. Probably in turns 5-10.

Paid for a seat last year and felt obligated to use it.... boring.

Yeah - it really is frustrating to have to choose between the race (and practices) and the handbuilt show. Saturday afternoon is the time to go. FP3 (kinda like a pre-qualifier) ends at 10:40am, and Q1 starts at 2:10. Moto Show starts at noon. So if you don't mind missing FP3 (for all classes), go the moto show at noon, stay an hour or two, then go to the races. Otherwise, do an evening at the moto show on Friday night after the GP stuff and MotoAmerica races end - that's what I'm likely to do this year.

I got this little stool. Not terribly comfortable, but very small, light and keeps my *** of the ground. Here's a cheaper one.

Also: Race Schedule and Handbuilt Moto Show Schedule

Called, West ticket office open next week Monday through Thursday 10 to 5. I'm going to ride out and PU my G A. Avoid any lines on Friday or Saturday.
Anyone know of a small foldable 3 led stool about 30" or so? I didn't see one at academy. I used a dove chair last year, too short, want something higher. No high dollar REI though :-P

The thing with that hand built is last year it was Friday night and Sat. will be at GP. Wish they had it another weekend, really enjoy it. Was looking forward to riding the wall of death this year.

I'm trying this little chair out this year. I've been on a yoga mat in previous years.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/quest-pack-lite-chair-16queuqstpckltchrodr/16queuqstpckltchrodr

I'll head down Sunday morning from the DFW area and get there in time for all the races. Likely do GA. I've done it in years past and it works well. You can even go sit in the grandstands if you want a seat pretty much until the MotoGP race itself as they are empty for all the other races.

Although....I think the grass area between turns 2 and around 6 is a pretty great place to watch the race. You really get a sense of how fast they are going and you see some decent battles. (although T1 and whatever turn is at the end of the back straight are also great places to watch overtakes)

Oh.... and if MM has to start at the back of the grid because of last weeks race (which he should IMO)....it should be interesting to watch him plow over 15 riders as he tries to make his way back to the front. Wonder how many penalty points he'll pick up in Austin? :)

Last edited:

You can even go sit in the grandstands if you want a seat pretty much until the MotoGP race itself as they are empty for all the other races.

Many people mentally skip out on Moto 2 which is a shame since it is often a better race.

Oh.... and if MM has to start at the back of the grid because of last weeks race (which he should IMO)....it should be interesting to watch him plow over 15 riders as he tries to make his way back to the front. Wonder how many penalty points he'll pick up in Austin? :)

Marquez is scheduled to do a promo for Dorna Sports (commercial rights holder for MotoGP) at Franklin BBQ on Thursday morning. The plan is to drop him off at the end of the line at 11am and film him elbowing his way to the front for the freshest brisket :eat:

I agree.

I actually like Moto 3 a lot too. Tons of overtakes and tight passing on those little bikes and it always goes to the wire before you know the winner.

Speaking of which, in contrast, the MotoGP race has been decided by the midpoint for the past few years. Still fun to watch but almost boring at the end because MM has a big lead and everyone else is just riding around with pretty established positions.

I'll be great to be back in Austin even if for a couple of days.
I'll be the guy waving the green flag at the back of the grid to signal the starter for each of the races.

Hope to see a few of the TWT guys there. Enjoy the races.

Just looked at the weather - looks like it could rain most of Saturday. That'll make the track time on Friday a lot more interesting - they'll need to treat it like a qualifying round!

I'll be the guy waving the green flag at the back of the grid to signal the starter for each of the races.

Do me a favor and stick that flag in Marquez' chain just before the start

^ I'm not sure what you mean by that

MotoGP does this qualifying system where there are two 15 minute qualifiers. Q1 is for the slower guys; Q2 is the fastest 10 from the three practice sessions (plus the two fastest from Q1). Finishing order in Q2 determines the first four rows of the grid, Q1 times determine rows 5 and lower

Typically, the riders try to set one fast lap in FP3 - Saturday afternoon - in order to get into Q2 and thus into the first few rows. If Saturday is wet, then they gotta set that fast lap on Friday. In a typical weekend, Friday is truly just practice - none of the times matter for anything other than bragging rights. But wet Sat means that Friday's times actually matter.

I have GA tickets. Usually, sit under the bridge at T16.

Just bought tickets for Friday for $6 at StubHub.

I'm also going Sunday.

Are you sure about this part?

Q1/Q2 is decided by the fastest lap in any of the three practices. But yes, in a normal weekend, Friday is about race setup, and Saturday's FP3 has a 15 minute mini-race at the end. They all switch to super-soft tires and go for one hot lap. We haven't had a 'normal', fully dry weekend yet in the 2018 season. However, fast guys are usually fast all weekend...

Back