• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Sunday 4/22/18 @ 9a the OST in Bandera - TARA/SA

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
Rain date reschedule:
Sunday 4/22/18 @ 9a the OST in Bandera (Keese's is closed on Sunday)

28198196669_142a7ae5c2_n.jpg

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

Come to breakfast, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home, get that bike out of your garage and join us for either or both.

33905068522_e0ee8f298d.jpg

Keese's Cafe & Bar-B-Que
(830) 589-7474
13869 State Hwy 16 N
Medina, Texas

Keese's Map Location

Post Breakfast Ride Information

If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. Groups usually take off around 10am. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

A group size of 4 - 6 ride is optimal, with about a maximum of 8, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Route information & Map
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Furkot's mapping program. So the route may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the route, it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass.

40997743462_2fba5ef690_b.jpg

For those that join my group
When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every non-obvious corner and wait for the entire group and make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. However please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety and rider etiquette
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, Zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 4/21/18 @ 9a Keese's Cafe & BBQ in Medina-TARA

Is this ride still on? Looks like thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday.

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 4/21/18 @ 9a Keese's Cafe & BBQ in Medina-TARA

I’m out anyway.
I got chain and sprockets coming I want to get on ASAP.
Fritzcoinc. 14t , hopefully it well buy me more time on my counter shaft.
Renthal 48 aluminum for the back.

Is this ride still on? Looks like thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday.

No sense in calling it bc of weather til 48 hrs out.

Can't make this one, but will be on my radar going forward.

Can't make this one, but will be on my radar going forward.

Better use the long range radar setting. That's 300 miles and 5 hrs down to the hill country for you. :thumb:

Currently shows 65% thunder in the am. Should be clearing to fair with 5% in the afternoon.

Better use the long range radar setting. That's 300 miles and 5 hrs down to the hill country for you. :thumb:

That would be a haul... but all of the good riding starts at least 100 miles away (almost any direction) from me as it is.

Is there somewhere close to the Medina café to leave a pickup with a m/c rack on the back all day while we ride?

There's an open patch across the street from the c store/gas station that I would be comfortable leaving my vehicle there for the day. ymmv

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Sunday 4/22/18 @ 9a the OST in Bandera - TARA

I just made the rain date change, but that leaves me out, I'm going to the MotoGP race on Sunday. Darn forecast, I wanted to ride!

Rain date reschedule:

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - Sunday 4/22/18 @ 9a the OST in Bandera - TARA

I just made the rain date change, but that leaves me out, I'm going to the MotoGP race on Sunday. Darn forecast, I wanted to ride!

Rain date reschedule:

Good call. I was going to go to a Ural get together this weekend but I burned out my Ural's clutch in the dirt last weekend (great Russian quality control). I'll look for you Sunday at COTA. Are you going to be there Saturday for the MotoAmerica races? I'm going to be.

So is anyone going for this ride on Sunday from bandera? Vtwin, red turtle, spirit? I wanna go. Sunday supposed to be great, mid 70's

Ride em before they pave them all.

Great, thats 3 at least, ill be there tonight and and perhaps tomorrow night (depends how tired i am for the 2.5 hr drive home). Camping (inside the trailer) at my usual kerrville Schreiner park.

I think this park is the best spot around at $15 A night with water...just let it run a little to flush it out.

40997743462_2fba5ef690_b.jpg

SpiritAtBay and I are going to start at OST in Bandera and ride the track Sander mapped out, but we are going to ride it counterclockwise. We will stop in Kerrville just before the end of the loop.

We will be at OST in Bandera at 9AM for breakfast. Anyone is welcome to join us, this should be big-bike friendly.

Last edited:
Anybody checked out how much is gravel vs pavement?

Hey Chris. That's always the question. How would one know on the maps. Is there any way that defines paved vs non. Always hard to tell. I'm using osmand for the .gpx. Will see if I can tell. Are you coming out in the morning?

Back