• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS850G project

Depends on who you ask. General consensus seems to be 1-4 days. I put it in at 5 yesterday I'll dump it sometime Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ha we got enough fire ants to go around.

Pic makes it look better than it is. Needs some TLC and in the end will probably get new paint.

When I get the carbs off ill take you up on that offer.

Tank off and devingarized. Derusted too. Man tha stuff worked like a champ. No leaks that i could find. Flushed and shook with water a few times which knocked the rest loose. Tank looks great. Got a tiny bit of flash rusting before I was able to run a bit of running alcohol through an fog as best i could with wd40. Got the shop vac blowing air into it now to hopefully dehumidfy it some more.

Also got the carbs off and partially torn down. They're not as bad as I thought but I still may send them to weird George down in the hill country. He rebuilt my gs1000 vm26 carbs about 15years ago or so and they've been flawless. But that's going to hurt the ol pocketbook.

25e4a3b98a1af0647e614e81e9f71b3f.jpg

d6c084e694f4357e0e7bc1a8c33edcaa.jpg

4068d30c028cd646bd60358926b61b6a.jpg

295e889fd7a983bbba2d22aa17f1edc3.jpg

Carbs cleaned up. Waiting on parts.

271472dd7e6103441ded0fb50370e0c3.jpg

be0f802c720c3c04120e9bbb7eacda9a.jpg

Those were exceptionally clean carbs for a barn find.

What usually is a problem for me with old carbs is the needle pin that shut off the gas when the float rises. No matter how clean they get and how good they look, they always seem to fail for me.

With four floats there is a good likelyhood that one of them leaks. Can you remove them and test them and look for bubbles?

I keep telling myself to stay away from projects like this but when I see posts like yours I kick myself and wish I had.

Good luck and I am watching from Mesquite. I only know singles and twins but any help I can offer, let me know.

That was after about 16 total hours of soaking in the carb dip. 3-4 hours at a time for each carb or set of parts for the carb. I don't know what it is about Suzuki and their fuel valves. The Vacuum valves always fail and the needles simply don't have enough "oomph" to seal off the head pressure coming down the line from the tank. Even brand new needles and seats will not fully seal if you have a leaky/faulty fuel valve.

That's why I went to a Pingel valve on my GS1000. I'm giving an OEM replacement a shot on my GS850 but I'm not holding my breath on if it will work. Or will last. IT's not a matter of if but when a Suzuki vacuum valve will fail.

No sir not currently. Currently waiting to check valves. Just been really busy with kids and work and it's so hot and humid what free time I do have I tend to retreat Into the AC

Getting the bug to tinker with the GS850G again. Finally got the carbs reassembled. Need to order the proper feeler gauges for the valve check. Once the valve check is done I can get the carbs back in and make sure shes a runner then move on to rebuilding the brakes and cleaning up the electrical system.
d3d7f7488dab6b5f935d91b54990fcc5.jpg

2688822ca690b9427cf4f31cd7698cfa.jpg

That was after about 16 total hours of soaking in the carb dip. 3-4 hours at a time for each carb or set of parts for the carb. I don't know what it is about Suzuki and their fuel valves. The Vacuum valves always fail and the needles simply don't have enough "oomph" to seal off the head pressure coming down the line from the tank. Even brand new needles and seats will not fully seal if you have a leaky/faulty fuel valve.

That's why I went to a Pingel valve on my GS1000. I'm giving an OEM replacement a shot on my GS850 but I'm not holding my breath on if it will work. Or will last. IT's not a matter of if but when a Suzuki vacuum valve will fail.

Many GS owners go with a manual fuel valve. The pingel is great, but you can make the stock valve manual too. Take it apart and get to the barrel which actually selects the fuel pathways (easy) and fill the "Prime" hole with JB weld. Also block off the vacuum port with a cap, or more jb weld, and remove all the vacuum valve stuff. Use RTV as a gasket to reassemble, since the vacuum diaphragm is now gone.

Then when reassembled, "Prime" becomes "off". You'll no longer need the prime spot since the fuel will just flow when it's in on or reserve. No more vacuum valve to fail.

Never thought of doing that. When this one fails I'll give that a shot.

Pulled the rear end apart. Swing arm moves very smoothly with no play in the pivot so I left it in place. Going to take a wire wheel to the rust and re spray as needed. The rear master cylinder is frozen so I'll be tearing that and the caliper down for a rebuild.

Slowly working my way forward.

85cdeb2051d6b4eb0b05504beccb6137.jpg

I'd say making progress, but......seems like it's losing parts ;-)

Tore the 850g down some more the rear brake pedal pivot was frozen in the frame. Took a bit with penetrating oil a propane torch and a BFH to get it out.

Pulled all the master cylinders and calipers off and dissassembled. All were full of sludge. Need to rebuild or replace them all. I found a bunch of new master cylinders on Amazon for less than the cost of the rebuild kits ive been finding. Weird.

Put a new tach cable on the GS1000 and loaded the Strom in prep for Rich mountain Rendezvous.

Got the bonded title paperwork back from the state as well for the GS850G so gotta go get surety bond soon and get over to the tax office.

You are ready!

those use BIG tapered roller bearings for the swing arm, super tough over engineered and probably the easiest swing arm bearing to service but possibly hardest to change as getting the seat race out of the swing arm can be fun.

Downs, I didn't realize you had started a thread over here.

I took on the CB. Here she is finished and running.

lt0w5ZT.jpg

2vkTIqO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
those use BIG tapered roller bearings for the swing arm, super tough over engineered and probably the easiest swing arm bearing to service but possibly hardest to change as getting the seat race out of the swing arm can be fun.

Oh I got them out of there when I had to pull the swing arm to replace the mid drive rear seal. Very easy to service for sure.

Sparkplug I want to hear it run :) Looks great considering where it started. I'm currently waiting on the rest of my brake parts to come in, I should soon have everything I need to put it on the street and moving around. I got my bonded title paperwork back from the state last week and need to go get a surety bond. The part at the tax office is going to suck cause I'm going to have to pay more taxes on it than I paid for it in the first place, since it's older than 25 years old it's automatically valued at 4 grand even though their own SPV calculator shows a 185 dollar value :giveup: Buncha crooks.

Back