• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding NM and CO May 31 - June 10

Kevin if you are still having trouble with that zipper, stop off and grab a regular paraffin wax candle and run it up and down the zipper a few times then work the zipper back and forth, repeat a couple of times. Usually lubes up a sticky zipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, it is 72 degrees right now

Here is what my buddy in Houston texted me... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

6714c6df780cf41f05d44c408dcf7751.jpg

Your buddy (Keith) is right. [emoji12]

Kevin if you are still having trouble with that zipper, stop off and grab a regular paraffin wax candle and run it up and down the zipper a few times then work the zipper back and forth, repeat a couple of times. Usually lubes up a sticky zipper.

Hey Kevin, I will try that. I busted off the two bottom teeth of zipper to get it to work. I can fix anything if I beat on it long enough :)

Went across wolf creek pass in the rain,

Stopped at my favorite breakfast place in pagosa springs. I have a business meeting at 12:30 in Mancos. I will try to get a little fly fishing done. Will probably camp on some BLM land outside of telluride. That is if I can find the spot I like.

39254c6fd065050acbb9725425b235f3.jpg

I know you’ve moved beyond the Cimarron and Philmont area, but this is turning out to be a real nail biter. My friend reports “Philmont update....
Bad news, still 0% contained.
Good news, "We can report that the structures at Ponil, Hunting Lodge, Cimarroncito, and Clarks Fork have survived the fire that passed through those areas.
We have gotten official word that base camp is safe and staff will be returning back to base this morning."

Ride safe, Kevin.

I know you’ve moved beyond the Cimarron and Philmont area, but this is turning out to be a real nail biter. My friend reports “Philmont update....
Bad news, still 0% contained.
Good news, "We can report that the structures at Ponil, Hunting Lodge, Cimarroncito, and Clarks Fork have survived the fire that passed through those areas.
We have gotten official word that base camp is safe and staff will be returning back to base this morning."

Ride safe, Kevin.

Thanks Rich, I was wondering about philmont

Report from yesterday,

I met the campground host Mr. and Mrs. Macenroe, they are from Stephenville, where Sharon and I went to Tarleton. He worked with a good friend of mine named Cliff at FMC. They now live in Rising Star September through April.

Delores campground was the campsite last night.

Getting to my clients place completely off the grid involved Difficult terrain.

Random thoughts:

I love being self sufficient on my bike. I picked up a couple of Mountain House meals at Walmart in Durango. I was keep my nylgene water containers full. I also have Starbucks via coffee each morning. I will ride somewhere for breakfast.

Camel tank has been a great blessing. I no longer have to worry about fuel. Just go with the flow.

Yesterday morning I went 240 miles and still had 1.5 gallons remaining.

The cool thing about an adv bike, you can go anywhere. You are never afraid if the road turns to dirt.

I have done Colorado many times on my Goldwing. Therefore I know the cool street bike type roads like the back of my hand.

An adv type bike lets you experience the REAL Colorado. No traffic, 50 miles from anywhere, creates a very enjoyable camping experience. You go anywhere and set up camp along the trail.

The only way i found last nights campground is I saw a sign that said camping 22 miles down a deserted road.

This has been about 200+ mile days, set up camp around 4 and enjoy the serenity of the mountains.

I am actually sitting by a river at camp typing this into my notes because I don’t have cell service.

Last night at Del Norte, I had full service so I spent the evening watching a movie on my iPad!

I tried to strike up a conversation with the guy at the next campsite, but he wasn’t having any of it LOL.

This has been an epic trip so far. Mabie next year I will put together a ride on TWT similar or exact to this ride. I would like others to experience the great state of Colorado in this fashion. It will be the first week of June, usually rain free.

So the question: is this about the ride or the total camping experience?

In the past I always prided myself on doing 700 mile days on the mighty Goldwing. I think that process was necessary to get a lay of the western USA. But now it is time to to see the backwoods places I missed, or should I say....Couldn’t get to?

09d95085385030c2bf2a0f126559844b.jpg

Other side of my hammock

1415825820d0cbe834ba6889059a954d.jpg

Fellow stephenville folks

4f37bbb64339ed6c42d092880ee62fd8.jpg

Teeny tiny campfire

fc7031035f0d6b1ecf0b6aa635f9bdb2.jpg

Yesterday

7543e2c7c773b000217836941fa48c25.jpg

Went across wolf creek pass in the rain,

Stopped at my favorite breakfast place in pagosa springs. I have a business meeting at 12:30 in Mancos. I will try to get a little fly fishing done. Will probably camp on some BLM land outside of telluride. That is if I can find the spot I like.

39254c6fd065050acbb9725425b235f3.jpg

Watch all the tourist at Telluride.:giveup: Enjoying your report. I bet most of us wish we were there enjoying the cooler temps right along side you. Keep it coming.

Today....so far

ff04e0ec5b60a21654045a032b4b883e.jpg

25 miles of dirt, this is a do not miss adv road!!!! It would really be nice in September due to all the aspen groves you ride through. A couple of miles can be kind of technical. Obviously not too hard since I didn’t drop my bike :)

55fabd9f1ff69b8bb250416c14bbb781.jpg

d1dac85cd84d81310f55311b41de6c45.jpg

cf41f73f3be6416e8a1e32852105a3be.jpg

On to Ophir pass and cinnamon pass. Will probably camp outside lake city or crested butte??

Ophir pass about 5 miles in:

You can’t see the sharp rise around the corner. Should I tackle it with a fully loaded bike, including work stuf???? Hmmm, sure....

df70290e54e6c4ad6286eed2205fefae.jpg

Then it got nasty with a Jeep coming at me

dd69bdbba67302602a6aaf44ddcd0121.jpg

Yes, the bike is laying downhill!

Got all the gear off, my buddy John I met at camp last night met me in Telluride for breakfast. He was behind me.

I unloaded bike and put my stuff in his truck. Decided to turn around with all the Jeep traffic.

The jeeps coming down we’re telling him he could not make it in a regular pick up with low ground clearance.

The at was like a little dirt bike coming down the mountain all neked:).

Next time I will base camp at silverton or lake city and hit the high altitude passed neked[emoji4]

Last edited:
After my retreat on Ophir, I pointed the bike to gunnison to stay at the tall Texan campground.

Nice ride on 50 from montrose to gunny.

Tomorrow created butte take the dirt over to Carbondale highway. I have a meeting in rifle at 1. Tomorrow night I have an Airbnb in rifle, living the high life :)

fb8a6d594b99e730c845c7fc7b787660.jpg

07a2e84b432f2f0c6228e063eb9d1938.jpg

12,000 feet, no wonder I was breathing so hard

aa064422943057976a03ed68de1556ee.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest Ohio Pass and Kebler Pass or just Kebler Pass out of Crested Butte. Both are rated #1. The road through Schofield Pass is rated #6. Ophir is rated #3, but without the loose scree close to the summit, it would be rated #2. If you happen to go down Hwy 550, you can easily get to Ophir Pass and return to 550. I would rate the east side of Ophir as a #1.

I suggest Ohio Pass and Kebler Pass or just Kebler Pass out of Crested Butte. Both are rated #1. The road through Schofield Pass is rated #6. Ophir is rated #3, but without the loose scree close to the summit, it would be rated #2. If you happen to go down Hwy 550, you can easily get to Ophir Pass and return to 550. I would rate the east side of Ophir as a #1.

Excellent info, I felt like kind of a woose because I heard Ophir was an easy pass. So I was on the west side, which you say is a 1.

Where do you find these ratings?

I did take Keebler pass today, I have done it a few years ago (8). They are putting magnesium chloride on it tomorrow, per the sign. A couple of pucker factors with occasional deep gravel that had just been dropped.

Back