• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Northern California ride June 2018 (planning thread)

Re: Northern California ride June 2018

My wife and I moved to Waco from McKinleyville two years ago, so I know the area pretty well (she was there for 20 years, me, about two years). I've been up into Oregon the way you are speaking of, and it's a great ride. However, if you can take an extra day, go east on 299 from McKinleyville until you can go south on Forest Road 6, which you can eventually hook up with Forest Rd 1, which intersects with Hwy 36 and you can wind your way back over to 101. That ride will take much of the day, and it's magnificent. The forest roads are pretty much paved (barely in spots), but there's literally no traffic and the twisties and scenery are beyond awesome. Wind up the day with a walk in Arcata's Redwood Park. You will not find a more awesome display of giant Redwoods to walk among. (To my way of thinking, it's the best city park in America, and it's not small either.)
As to places to stay, there "ain't much". Arcata has the best places to eat in the area, and is a pretty little town with an old fashioned square. I would pretty much avoid staying in Eureka unless you need help with the bikes; no shortage of tweekers there; however old town Eureka is pretty neat. If you need mechanical assistance with the bikes, there's a terrific little repair shop called North Coast Cycle on 15th St in Eureka. Also, Pacific Motorsports on the south side of Eureka is ok, but I'd avoid the dealers unless you need warranty work.
Hope you have fun! We may be out that way later this year, but after the BMW rally in Des Moines we're thinking northern Montana and possible on up to Banff.

Well 1st day Graham to Lordsville nm was rather windy and a touch warm. Today taking 191 to Alpine and then overnight in Winslow. Appreciate all the help with routing. Completely changed and added as much as possible.

I hope y’all will continue to post commentary and pix. Maybe a new thread is in order?

I hope y’all will continue to post commentary and pix. Maybe a new thread is in order?
Will start new thread after the ride. 191N is a great ride. The wind again was a bear but temp better. Flagstaff tonight north into utah tomorrow.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I Am not very good typing on this phone so don't expect much.

I Am not very good so don't expect much.

Couldn't have said it better myself.. so google says 680 miles for the first day- what was your actual route mileage?

Also, did you use the tablet or phone for nav?

I think I'll have a computer when jmq2 and I get to San Fran, so you can write up some before it fades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think I'll have a computer when jmq2 and I get to San Fran, so you can write up some before it fades.

great idea! Even if you don't post while on road, just brief notes to myself, I've found, are very useful when recreating the journey later.

I’ll be waiting impatiently for a report of the of the adventures. I always enjoy how the Queens roll.

I Am not very good typing on this phone so don't expect much.
so you got the devil's highway in, pretty and awesome at the same time isnt it?

BTW, does that flip phone take pics you can post on the forum as you ride LOL.

so you got the devil's highway in, pretty and awesome at the same time isnt it?

BTW, does that flip phone take pics you can post on the forum as you ride LOL.
Yeah did 191. I had to after the glowing recommendatipns from you, Aaron and SBullet. Today did Burr trail but i tied in from Blanding to Halls Crossing and took the ferry across lake Powell to Bullfrog. Burr trail was rrcommended by JMZ and it is a hoot. Thru Bryce and overnighting in Panaguitch. Change of plans for tomorror. Saint Georgr to Rocky Mountain atv for some needed replacements. So going to loose 1 day to maint, but i had a fudge day figuired in already, so still should be N of San Francisco on the appointed date to ride out with the boys. I do have a phone i can take pichurs with but need a little guidance. And no the flip does not take pichurs. 0602180924.jpg0531181346a.jpg

great idea! Even if you don't post while on road, just brief notes to myself, I've found, are very useful when recreating the journey later.
I am attempting to keep some notes for a report........
Still don't expect too much, as I an not a wordsmith.

We noticed how that boy left out a few words, to show his s***t a**.
Purely an oversight. I intended to ADD several choice words and completely forgot. :(

Installed new chain this morn in the Days Inn parking lot, St George Utah. No sprockevts at Rocky Mountain or the Honda dealer, but they both still look pretty decent. Wind was worst of the trip so far. Routed thru Tonapah to Hawthorne for the night. Should be at our meetup in Novato, Ca tomorrow, so i'm back on schedule. Missed riding 50 across Nevada. Maybe next time.

Sprockets should be Fine, I changed mine every other chain. Keep rolling.....

Trip begins.. On the way to DFW to see if they'll let me fly the plane.
42623f882a5f49984b7bc0ad5f2b3c6d.jpg

Northern California ride June 2018

Trip begins.. On the way to DFW to see if they'll let me fly the plane.
42623f882a5f49984b7bc0ad5f2b3c6d.jpg

You won’t even make past TSA to get on the plane [emoji23][emoji23]

Apparently everybody's mom thinks they can do anything, and that doesn't qualify me to be a pilot...

Buncha crap if you ask me.

Stopped to see my niece in Petaluma yesterday. Best part trip so far. Look on her face priceless. After went to Olema for egg salad sandwich. Where are you boys, lets go. Burning daylight.

JQ2.0 and I arrived in San Francisco last night, Ubered to a Best Buy, and walked 1.5 miles to the hotel. Other than the large amounts of homeless and beggars, everything went well.

Got up at 5:45 AM California time because of the time change, and decided to walk the 3.5 miles to EagleRider to pick up the bikes. Got there about an hour early and just wandered around a bit until they opened. As our luck would have it, we got back to their door about 10 minutes before they opened, and there was a group of 6 in front of us.... So we were hoping to get there at 9 and leave by 10, we got there at 8:50 and left at 11:10. They did not have the Road King I had asked for, so I ended up with a Road Glide (you can pay a little extra to ensure that you get the exact model you requested - I didn't, so they could substitute any other bike in the same class).

We mt up with JQ1.0 about 35 miles north of EagleRider in Olema, California. It only took us about an hour and a half to cover those 35 miles, so we got there about 12:45, ate a sandwich and hit the road. Didn't have a lot of time to stop and look around because of the late start and low speed limits for like 45 miles coming out of San Fran. We did stop at a beach overlook for some pics, but other than that it was highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) all the way to Garberville, and got to the hotel at 7pm. So we covered our first 250 miles with a 3-4 hour late start and a ridiculously slow first 50 miles or so. Hopefully this bodes well for averaging 350 or so miles per day if we start around 8am and don't go through any major metro areas.

Pacific Coast Highway is beautiful and has wonderful curves, but it does go through a lot of little towns in the beginning, so it's not for high speed sporty runs in my opinion. But totally worth it and there are several 20 mile stretches of curves, and we just barely got into some of the big (not giant) sequoias in the last 20 miles or so.

Tomorrow is the Avenue of the Giants, more of the Pacific Coast highway, then we cut inland on 299 to Weaverville, and up to Ashland - should be 320 miles or so by the time we get to Ashland. Will have pics tomorrow.

Pics from today
50bc5a779ad714bbb4ac37e4ef5a2512.jpg
744e8147bc6dd61b869b6936dc71fcef.jpg
b69c1ad6b75c221c42f1c15d6e30568d.jpg
2cb87718bf2d2fd6fe0598361856c9f3.jpg
1946db73acffc825fad93d47f9970fe7.jpg

Back