• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs - NOW WITH DIRT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs

Unless work tells me different, Looks like I'm rooming with Mr.2mch.

Rooms booked. Ready for October.

Just a reminder from someone who had to plug his rear tire yesterday and is thinking about tire wear/life. Start planning your tires for the trip. By that I mean its not to early to be thinking about what you'll ride on while up there. Do not go up there with a tire that has less than 60% tread left. I've seen on more than one occasion people go up using older tires and end up with the cords showing before the trip is over. Really wrecks your weekend and please don't become that guy to your riding partners.

Just a reminder from someone who had to plug his rear tire yesterday and is thinking about tire wear/life. Start planning your tires for the trip. By that I mean its not to early to be thinking about what you'll ride on while up there. Do not go up there with a tire that has less than 60% tread left. I've seen on more than one occasion people go up using older tires and end up with the cords showing before the trip is over. Really wrecks your weekend and please don't become that guy to your riding partners.

Steve, I've been running TKC80/Shinko 805 tires on my bike just for the added traction off pavement. At two and a half months in, I'm not a hard cornerer at this point. I've found these tires have plenty of traction on the pavement for me. Are they still a good choice for this trip? I'm hoping there will be at least a couple of miles off pavement up there.

You will survive with those tires but it's not the best tool for the job for the way most of us ride up there. Most of us (but you certainly don't have to) ride just about all pavement including the ride up there and back. The pavement is that good. If you were ready to change tires as the trip got close, I'd put street tires on. Heck take them off when you get home if you like and save them for next year. I believe a few folks may want to hit some dirty stuff and you could maybe hook up with them. I know a few different spots but largely stick to pavement. El Chamiso may be able to tell you something about a secret jeep trail up a mountain that we may have or not have gone up behind a trout hatchery. ;-)

Last edited:

Jarrett, from what md said, this looks like a perfect time to spoon back on the oem streets which will be basically new tires for this ride. from what you have described, by Oct you probably will be getting close to bingo on your off pavement tires anyway.

You will survive with those tires but it's not the best tool for the job for the way most of us ride up there. Most of us (but you certainly don't have to) ride just about all pavement including the ride up there and back. The pavement is that good. If you were ready to change tires as the trip got close, I'd put street tires on. Heck take them off when you get home if you like and save them for next year. I believe a few folks may want to hit some dirty stuff and you could maybe hook up with them. I know a few different spots but largely stick to pavement. El Chamiso may be able to tell you something about a secret jeep trail up a mountain that we may have of not have gone up behind a trout hatchery. ;-)
Thanks Steve.

Also keep in mind that if anyone would like to split off from the groups that run my road routes and form their own groups to do gravel, dirt, 2 track, single track, or whatever, you are more than welcome to do so.

In fact, if someone is interested in riding dirt and would be willing to take on the route planning and/or leading a dirt ride, I would love to make that happen. If we had a dirt option the rally would appeal to much broader audience and would open up the opportunity to gather with fellow Two Wheeled Texans to that many more people.

So if you're that guy or gal, let me know and we can work out the details. :rider:

Last edited:
TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs

Confirmed as in. Trailering my KLR and staying at my BIL’s place near Rogers. Advice on tires: currently running TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 rear but will need new shoes by then. Recommendations for new tires and road conditions on this trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hey there, my name is Mike and I'm an addict :)

Actually, as a former Houstonian and TWT'er who has lives a mere 45 miles east of Eureka Springs and who has ridden a little over 16k miles of dirt, gravel and forest service roads here in NW Arkansas on my WR250R in the last six years, I would like to humbly offer my services as a leader of dual sport rides for this rally.

I figure its the least I can do since a trip up here with Tourmeister for the fall 2006 road rally is the reason I now live here!

Lemme know..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Confirmed as in. Trailering my KLR and staying at my BIL’s place near Rogers. Advice on tires: currently running TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 rear but will need new shoes by then. Recommendations for new tires and road conditions on this trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those will work as long as its not wet, muddy and slippery!

I would like to humbly offer my services as a leader of dual sport rides for this rally.
Very interested. Just wondering if I'll need my CRF250L or CRF1000L

If you intend to do all dual sport riding I'd bring the 250. If you want to do both bring the 1000.

My rides will be big bike friendly.. Challenging in spots but fun always!

Sample riding here.

b8d2f0e1616a3ae8a4cc721c7c175f90.jpg
aafeddf09decc5d33226994ad1de45db.jpg

Last edited:

Hey there, my name is Mike and I'm an addict :)

Actually, as a former Houstonian and TWT'er who has lives a mere 45 miles east of Eureka Springs and who has ridden a little over 16k miles of dirt, gravel and forest service roads here in NW Arkansas on my WR250R in the last six years, I would like to humbly offer my services as a leader of dual sport rides for this rally.

I figure its the least I can do since a trip up here with Tourmeister for the fall 2006 road rally is the reason I now live here!

Lemme know..

This is excellent news Mike! I think I was there with you at that 2006 rally.

I'm traveling for the next couple of days, but when I get to the hotel tonight I'll update the thread to reflect the availability of dirt.

Carry on!

If you intend to do all dual sport riding I'd bring the 250. If you want to do both bring the 1000.

My rides will be big bike friendly.. Challenging in spots but fun always!

Sample riding here.

Those pics look big bike doable. Maybe I can bring both.

Thanks for leading.

OK folks, as you have noticed, FJRMike has stepped up and offered to head up the dirty riders among us. That means that the 2018 TWT Fall Rally is officially a dirt and road rally!

Spread the word amongst your dirt riding TWT friends. With the added of attraction of dirt routes there will probably be an increased demand for lodging. If I need to add more rooms to our block I'd like to know sooner rather than later.

Hey pacman and FJRMike. I missed the group ride last year, but got to go during the Summer with my son. We did all asphalt (he was on a sport bike... "No dirt for you!") and enjoyed it a lot.

With the addition of dirt for this group ride (thank you, FJR!), I'm even more interested. I can't commit yet due to other commitments, but I'm curious about how technical the dirt will be. I don't mind a good challenge on dry(ish) ground, but I despise water crossings. At least the deep ones. I'm a whimp.. For me, deep = deeper than 6-8".

Hey pacman and FJRMike. I missed the group ride last year, but got to go during the Summer with my son. We did all asphalt (he was on a sport bike... "No dirt for you!") and enjoyed it a lot.

With the addition of dirt for this group ride (thank you, FJR!), I'm even more interested. I can't commit yet due to other commitments, but I'm curious about how technical the dirt will be. I don't mind a good challenge on dry(ish) ground, but I despise water crossings. At least the deep ones. I'm a whimp.. For me, deep = deeper than 6-8".

I don't know any details on the actual routes that FJRMike will plan, but there's a good chance that there will be water crossings. I doubt they will be too extreme, but I'm guessing it depends a lot on the weather leading up to the trip. I'm sure he'll post more details here as plans begin to coalesce.

That being said, if there is more water that what you're wanting to deal with on Mike's routes don't let that keep you away from the trip. In all likelihood there will be multiple groups that form up based on preferred riding style and road preferences.

Hope you join us!

Thanks pacman. And you make a very good point about street always being a good option. I'm sure you'll hit roads that I didn't ride last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back