• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Re: IF I were to get a dirt bike, what should I get?

I like the sound of the option to pick something, ride it for a bit. Figure out what you like and don't. Then move the direction you want with a better purpose. If you shop around and pick up used like mentioned you will likely be able to sell it for what you have in it of not close. You might find that dirt is the way and want to go that route or decide its just not for you and scrap it all together. Either way it will be an adventure!

That WR450 sounds like a good deal. Will putt around a field all day or down a dirt road all day, hit as nasty of single track as you dare (slow and easy works as well). Can update the plates so the street legal part is already worked out. Will work well for dual sport. Add a comfortable seat though. Good suspension as well for about anything you care to throw at it. I would check that option out as I think the that while the 250 will be fun it you will out grow it quickly or be hunting for another gear in the wide open stuff. With the 450, like with your AT you will need to learn a little throttle control.

The advice I give to any full grown male looking for a first dirt bike is pretty much the same. You can’t go wrong with one of the big three...KDX200 (or 220), XR400, or DRZ400.

They’re all proven reliable machines, were (or have been) made for long enough to make parts readily available and fairly cheap, are plentiful on the used market, and are powerful enough to grow into without being too intimidating for a new dirt rider.

The DRZ has the advantage of being offered in a factory dual sport configuration, while the KDX has the benefit of simpler maintenance (as well as that awesome two stroke sound and smell).

None of these are gonna serve you too well on a motocross track, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking to do.

I'm guessing a DRZ 400SM is not a good option due to the wheels?

In that configuration it would be a pretty poor dirt bike, but dirt wheels are readily available for a swap. Then you’d have two bikes for just a little more cost than one.

In that configuration it would be a pretty poor dirt bike, but dirt wheels are readily available for a swap. Then you’d have two bikes for just a little more cost than one.

IIRC, dual sports and supermotos derived from the same model (DRZ400S and DRZ400SM; WR250R and WR250X; KLX250S and KLX250SF) usually have different suspension setups as well to perform better on trails or street respective of trim.

I'm not trying to say getting the supermoto with a 18/21 wheelset with knobby tires on the side is absolutely heinous and blasphemous, but it doesn't technically allow for a complete 2-in-1 bike as implied. However, it may totally do the job for you. I know I hardly flirt with full capabilities of the tires and suspension on my own dual sport. Just a thought...

At the risk of being a kill joy, we're about four pages into overthinking this. (Of course, overthinking bikes is half the fun.)

I'd recommend re-reading Shadman's posts, setting aside $1500 and buying the first thing that comes along, even if it's not the perfect size, sprung right, or whatever.

In the meantime it's Smithville for lunch at Pockets.

Congrats. Excellent choice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Awesome choice! So you're coming to Mextrek in October????? Its a slippery slope.

More like a slippery cliff....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, after much overthinking, I decided to go pick this up today:

CRF250_L_3.jpg

2014 Honda CRF250L

It's got a couple after market go fast parts on it, but it's slow as molasses. That said, it putts along well and I think that's all I need for dirt for now.

I decided I wanted to go with a fuel injected bike so as to not mess with carbs. Plus I'm already familiar with 2012+ Honda's, so everything already makes sense to me on it. Also 2WheelNut made a good point to me today, that if my daughter and I might be doing some dirt biking together, the 250 would be good for her to start out on for sure. Probably me as well.

And if I get hooked on it, it can become her bike and I can buy something with more cajones.

Guess I'm a Honda guy...

Good choice and all good reasons. You can get the 450 model when it comes out, lol.

Well, after much overthinking, I decided to go pick this up today:

CRF250_L_3.jpg

2014 Honda CRF250L

It's got a couple after market go fast parts on it, but it's slow as molasses. That said, it putts along well and I think that's all I need for dirt for now.

I decided I wanted to go with a fuel injected bike so as to not mess with carbs. Plus I'm already familiar with 2012+ Honda's, so everything already makes sense to me on it. Also 2WheelNut made a good point to me today, that if my daughter and I might be doing some dirt biking together, the 250 would be good for her to start out on for sure. Probably me as well.

And if I get hooked on it, it can become her bike and I can buy something with more cajones.

Guess I'm a Honda guy...
Congratulations. Enjoy it. If you actually ride it on dirt very much at all , you'll find dirt bikes very addicting.

Last edited:
Back