• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Riveteer Pulls Up Stakes!

So plan to build, eventually....

Unfortunately, my area is served by KPUB. It’ll cost so much to hook into the grid that i am seriously considering going 100% solar. Still researching the options.

I had a generator and a couple of 12 volt batteries for lights when Gen was off in 1995. I was in Bastrop and spent all I had on land. I got an old park model trailer. I ran the generator for A/C and small fridge. and turned off when I went to sleep. Used propane for heat and did the same turned off when I went to sleep. If your Riveteer has a propane fridge, they use very little gas. These new Ice chests hold ice for a week. These new 3500 watt generators are Quite. Just a thought till you get the grid. I was running HVAC service at the time and would stop to get ice, gas and propane between calls , on company time. It helped to defer cost :mrgreen: My boss would smile and shake his head when he saw the ice chest and tanks in the bed of service truck. It was a real adventure.

Just stating the obvious: going totally off-grid for electricity is all about balancing battery capacity / panel output and draw.

As Windmill says, step one is minimizing draw. Does the airstream already have DC lights, etc? That'll help on inverter loss (but can increase transmission loss due to low voltage and high current). Are all lights LED? Do propane for everything possible, then buy that in bulk.

Step two: where ya gonna put the panels? Looks like you're covered in trees. Need to anticipate tree growth, too. Panels needs to be pretty close to the batteries, which needs to be close to home. 8 gauge cables are EXPENSIVE.

Batteries: these can be as simple as golf cart batteries (don't use car) or electric forklift batteries, or ones designed for solar. How many days of power do you want on hand for cloudy days? Or, generator backup for that? ('nuther thing to buy, maintain, fuel). And batteries don't last forever, so expect maintenance and cycling in new ones every couple years.

Solar sounds romantic and all but unless she's going to sweat the summers out , air conditioning needs signaficant AMPERAGE. Something I don't think solar can provide. Could be wrong, if enough money thrown at it. :shrug:

lf you're on the crest of a hill, might be worth looking at a wind study for wind generation as an addition to solar.

Yes, I’m reading and learning and talking to folks who are actually doing/living the off grid thang...

Plug me into the grid, please!
(Would have loved to go solar, but too many tall trees-would be difficult to get the panels where they’d get enough sunlight.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[ame="https://youtu.be/4xuJqVqVoek"]Thomas Dolby - Windpower (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Glad to hear the update on the place at the meet and greet. Hope that you get it all squared away soon.

Progress has been slow.

JT and I have worked most Saturdays with a chainsaw, clearing live cedar and creating large piles of dead cedar.

Guys with bulldozers are busy, super busy. Hard to find someone with the time and inclination to clear and level a pad.
Did find someone and he did a great job. So now there is a large, level area for the Riveteer, etc.

Power...had to give up on the renewable energy dream. Sigh...Initial set up is expensive, on-going battery costs and just too many unknowns...So..

Talked again with local electric provider. and again. Every time we talked, I got a different story about what was required and how much it would cost.

Electricians are busy. Super busy. Took awhile to find one with the time and inclination.... Have found one and they have been great to work with so far. Especially helpful in dealing with local utility co.

Supposedly, electrical work will begin this week.

Water meter was put in months ago. Need to trench and lay the line where we need it to go.

I have moved the Riveteer from the RV park and temporarily set up camp in Fredericksburg, at my sister's place. This to avoid another month's rent, on top of land loan payment and other expenses. (Did I mention that the utility co will not lift a finger until they've been paid in full?)

Not sure if moving to FBG was the best idea...40 min commute twice daily. Stuff in FBG, stuff in storage in KVL--none of it where it is needed or wherever I am when I need it...

But, it'll happen, I'll be living out there sometime soon. It's quiet there...

Will update again when there is sumpin to report. (super exciting pictures of power poles and 2' deep trench line, I'm sure.)

Thanks for the interest and support.

c56178c862e85ccf28f6aa18462988f9.jpg

Bulldozer at work. Young man is the operator’s grandson.

a63a7f10ee803b4a171caeb77afe3a13.jpg

39911c23d9e6a3be009f388f8ba45030.jpg

“Mule train”. The Riveteer leaves the park that had been home for 4 years. I’m driving the Taco with Sally on the hitch carrier, mom is in the blue car and JT is riding Suzi.

Where's the shed?

Ha Ha! The shed is still at the park! They graciously have allowed me to leave it there for a couple of weeks, At No Charge(!) until I can have it moved.

Helps that it is slow season; the park is half empty with all the snowbirds back up north.

That's great news......
And the KTM? Still in the shed?

Gotta' admit, i'm jelly about what you're doing.......

How many feet do you have to go for your electric line . Did you expect the electric company to lift a finger before being paid ? LOL.

How many feet do you have to go for your electric line . Did you expect the electric company to lift a finger before being paid ? LOL.

How many feet... I'll let cha know after the contractor puts in the "meter loop" and the RV pedestal

electric co....yes, I did! you know that rule of thumb to never pay in advance of work being done...doesn't apply to monopolies I guess....

They've been paid and I still can't get them to tell me WHEN they'll start work...

Yeah , they're not going to start until check clears. I thought your electric provider was a co-op . Unless it's a really short tap , they will know the distance before they charge you.

Yeah , they're not going to start until check clears. I thought your electric provider was a co-op . Unless it's a really short tap , they will know the distance before they charge you.

Welcome to Fredericksburg Gina !! Let me know if a can help in any way !!

How many feet... I'll let cha know after the contractor puts in the "meter loop" and the RV pedestal

electric co....yes, I did! you know that rule of thumb to never pay in advance of work being done...doesn't apply to monopolies I guess....

They've been paid and I still can't get them to tell me WHEN they'll start work...

Your sister moved !!! She not our neighbor any more !!!

Still no definite move date (heavy sigh). Getting power is taking longer than planned....investigating all options...

I know the feeling exactly. You just have to think of it as living on island time.
It took me from December until April to get power run to our property in Johnson City.

What kind of material did you make your drive out of?

Back