• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas ADV Ride Aug 24-26

@2wheelnut what is your recommendation for tires based on this terrain/road mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SST_Irok_Bias.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in. I'll be on a 1200GS either riding or trailering up from Jacksonville depending on how hot it's going to be. Let me know if anyone from that area wants ride up together.

Mike P.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@2wheelnut what is your recommendation for tires based on this terrain/road mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm running 50/50 tires. Specifically, I have an Anakee Wild in the front and a Shinko 805 on the rear.

You could probably run something less aggressive that lasts longer, but I'd rather have off road traction than street traction and durability for this kind of ride.

YMMV

Room booked at Riverwood Inn.

Anyone have any plans for the ride to Glenwood or ride the ride back?

I'm planning on trailering at this point. Mainly to get more miles in Sunday morning before the return trip.

Actually I think you should ride the 250 as much as possible. Hardly any pavement, rarely get close to 60 mph and its not your backyard. Go out and flick it around and have a ball.

I think the AT. S10 could be game day decision. I am riding from the house.

Are we up to 10 now?

Jarrett
woodsguy & Glenn
misterk
MacDaddy
2WheelNut
ricks77eb
BADTEX
Simmons1
Birdman44

The extended forecast looks bad at this point:

Capture.jpg

How does days of rain affect these routes?

Are we up to 10 now?

Jarrett
woodsguy & Glenn
misterk
MacDaddy
2WheelNut
ricks77eb
BADTEX
Simmons1
Birdman44

The extended forecast looks bad at this point:

Capture.jpg

How does days of rain affect these routes?

Well 1, they are mountain roads, rocky for the most part, 2, two weeks out I'm not too worried about the weather forecast. It seems to rain pretty often up there anyway. If there is a lot of rain, creek crossings could be fun! Adventure!!

Plus side, keeps dust and temps down. Unless a real gully washer that makes creeks hard to cross no biggie. Looks like the same forecast for days, so probably just the way it is up there!!

If the weather is really bad rain wise, I'll just take a blacktop ride Saturday instead.

Last edited:
If the weather is really bad rain wise, I'll just take a blacktop ride Saturday instead.
If soggy, I will ride with you till after lunch, then I will be gently swinging in my hammock at camp listening to the rain go pitter patter on my rain fly, I might even take a nap or two :) If it is going to be a total wash out, I will wait for the Rich Mountain Rendezvous in September to get my Arky fix.

If soggy, I will ride with you till after lunch, then I will be gently swinging in my hammock at camp listening to the rain go pitter patter on my rain fly, I might even take a nap or two :) If it is going to be a total wash out, I will wait for the Rich Mountain Rendezvous in September to get my Arky fix.

Sounds like a plan.

What size pelican case do you have behind you on the AT? How often do you hit your back on it?

So is this ride turning into more of a big bike more paved outing, or still mostly dirt?

So is this ride turning into more of a big bike more paved outing, or still mostly dirt?

Well Rick, I guess that kind of depends. I'm sure that I have by far more pavement than the other rides, although that wasn't neccesarily my intent.

I've never been to Glenwood before but it looks to me like its a about 10-12 miles to get to what I think is the good stuff. My route goes to directly to Norman and than the fun we all wanted begins. Also on the return at Langly we have pavement probably another 12 miles back to home. Some folks may be a little fatigued and ready for a cruise back on the run in to Glenwood. I suppose I could have got a little more forest roads back but we would be duplicating some of the morning ride and I wanted all new stuff.

We pass through Mena after about 65 miles as we head further west. For dual sporters with small tanks they might appericate topping off with gas then. If we haven't eaten prior we could stop and get breakfast at the Skyway(?) diner too. Then we hit about 35% of the Talimena Scenic Byway. Some folks may have never been on this before and it can be a real treat. But its always an entertaining road (paved of course) with probably a brief stop at the Queen Wilhelmina lodge where we could have a brunch instead of breakfast or nothing at all. But the best views on the weekend will likely be on this road. To get off Talimena we'll take a forest road down the "mountain."

Next we'll use 3 or 4 miles of pavement across the valley floor before we hop on a wide forest road and climb up the side of the other "mountain" to the three sticks overlook. From there we catch the easy part of the K-trail towards Hatfield. At times this runs on top of the ridge and has some pretty cool views through the trees. This should be the most rustic road we ride on and some of it may be overgrown two-track before we get close to Zafra prior to arriving in Hatfield. Hatfield is about 70 miles after Mena and they have (last I was there anyhow) a gas station. Then it's back onto some awesome easy/fun forest roads as we wind our way back to Glenwood.

So Rick, mine is just one of the routes available to you and you are certainly not required to ride it but you would be more than welcome to come with us/me if you like. Google maps can also be your friend. I tried to include a lot of diversity into this route and I think most would be satisfied at the end of the day. If not, that's what beer is for, right? All that said, if I was riding something like a plated YZ450 then I wouldn't be very happy.

201 miles.
Special thanks to Jarrett for posting the route.

Last edited:
Back