• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Texas Hill Country 500 - Nov 2-4, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in on this one. Campsite is booked in junction. Looking forward to riding Hill country this fall!

Anyone planning on camping-a bunch of us are staying at South Llano River State Park on Saturday. According to the reservation site, there are still plenty of sites available. Come and hang out with us.

https://texas.reserveworld.com/Home.aspx

I'm interested in this! Newbie rider, small adv bike. Have never camped before so I guess I might as well look for a room to spend the nights. Do people ride together from Austin or everyone meets there by their own?

It appears this will be a very well attended ride so there shouldn't be a problem finding a smaller group of like minded / skilled riders to ride each day with.

You are welcome to try and find someone to ride out to J.C. with, but most riders will trickel in all througout the day and into the evening.

A lot of riders will be hauling their bikes to J.C., then riding from there, so that is another option.

Look forward to meeting you!

Anyone riding in from DFW?

I was thinking of doing something like this:

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears this will be a very well attended ride so there shouldn't be a problem finding a smaller group of like minded / skilled riders to ride each day with.

You are welcome to try and find someone to ride out to J.C. with, but most riders will trickel in all througout the day and into the evening.

A lot of riders will be hauling their bikes to J.C., then riding from there, so that is another option.

Look forward to meeting you!

Awesome! I guess knobbies are required?

I'd say that any 80/20 Adventure bike tire will do the trick. I'll be on my Strom with E-07s. You might want to consider doing the James River ride with us in October. It will be on similar roads, and will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Awesome! I guess knobbies are required?

Not required but just think about the contact patch profile of a rounded over street vs the knobbie which is usually a more square off profile thus enabling more contact on slippy gravel. You can compensate a street tire by lowering the pressure to increase this contact patch just understanding that one must take it a little easy in the corners.

I have e07 tires like Gourdhead on my wee strom and they are perfect for hill country off pavement roads and creeks. They also handle high speed brilliantly.

Last edited:
This seems perfect for a noob like myself. I'll need to check with the "events coordinator" AKA the wife.

I'd say that any 80/20 Adventure bike tire will do the trick. I'll be on my Strom with E-07s. You might want to consider doing the James River ride with us in October. It will be on similar roads, and will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Awesome. I’ll look for a similar tire. Is that a scheduled ride or is that the October monthly ride?

Edit: just purchased a set of e07s

Last edited:
Awesome. I’ll look for a similar tire. Is that a scheduled ride or is that the October monthly ride?

Scheduled big ride that happens some time every year to unite the clans. Not sure of your local rides calendar.

The James River ride is the scheduled October TARA group ride.

The James River ride is the scheduled October TARA group ride.
Do you know where the info is on that? Sounds interesting.

I rode James River Rd in June and enjoyed. Didn't attempt the river though.

I reserved my spot for Best Western Dos Rios in Junction for Saturday night. Regarding the registration sheet, what is the 4th column for? Confirm attendance for friday night?

Regarding the registration sheet, what is the 4th column for? Confirm attendance for friday night?

Yes.

I don't know what happened with the sheet. I created headers for it when I first made it. Your question prompted me to look and, sure enough, no headers.

I have now inserted new headers to alleviate this question for anyone else who registers.

Debating this since I haven't worn out the OEM tires yet but have been eyeballing replacements. (6000 mi's so far).
The concept of having less contact patch makes sense obviously and will taken into mind if I leave a sportish tire on or get a 90/10 or 80/20 tire.

Also considering my location, I'd be cool with swinging through Hillsboro to meet up with those handful riding from DFW. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back