• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning for my first SaddleSore in Sept.

Traxx

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Not sure about the date yet since that will depend on the weather.
I do have my route nailed down though. Doing a out and back from N. Ft Worth to Sierra Blanca. All interstate and plenty of fuel stations.
I am going to ditch the panniers for a medium tail bag. Hopefully that will increase my MPG and be good enough to carry the basic tools, snacks and water.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Out and back to the West is a good idea. Sun at your back all day long. Good planning there. Get rest beforehand, drink lots of water, know when to stop and take a break, don't push yourself excessively and don't be trying to beat some kind of time limit. It's not so hard as you think, take your time and finish.

Make sure you have some secure place to put your receipts. It sucks having to chase receipts across the gas station parking lot in the wind. At least, that's what I've heard, right, that's it.

Just finished setting up my spotwalla account along with swconnect.
Copy that, rest - water - relax.
Thinking about a rotopax for fuel.
I think my tail bag will be a camelback talon with approx 6 liters of water (2 bladders)
tool roll, beef jerky, paper map, toilet paper/baby wipes, and jacket liner.

Shouldn't need the rotopax if you are staying on the interstate, but it's good insurance. Pack extra earplugs and have an extra key on you. Plan for extra miles also, just in case your calculations don't match up with the IBA's.

The rotopax is just for peace of mind, one less thing to worry about and not that heavy or much space.

Stretch it 70 miles r/t to Ft. Hancock and enjoy a good meal at Angie's Cafe. A hidden gem.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Not sure about the date yet since that will depend on the weather.
Good decision. Never let desire get ahead of common sense. The road isn't going anywhere. If your initial date doesn't work out, there are plenty more to choose from. And if things go to heck in a handbasket during the ride, do the smart thing and call it a day.

A few months ago I was attempting to create a new certificated ride. Mike Kneebone and i had discussed it for months in advance, and I made plans after plans after plans. I knew that the possibility of critters would be a serious concern on my route, but I went ahead with it. At about 19 hours into a 40+ hour ride I called it quits. I was in a part of the country in which every corner had deer/elk on the road or on the side of the road or crossing the road. My final 50 miles were ridden at about 35-50 mph as it wasn't safe to go any faster. At that point I knew it was pointless to keep going and I got a hotel room just 17 miles short of a SaddleSore. Make the decision that allows you go get back home to your family.

I do have my route nailed down though. Doing a out and back from N. Ft Worth to Sierra Blanca. All interstate and plenty of fuel stations.
Good choice for a first attempt.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Just try to stop me. ;-)

Are you going alone?
Unless you're riding with an experienced IBA member that already has their share of certs, I always recommend the first attempt be done solo. There are too many variables; riding styles, speed at gas stops, smoker/non-smoker, endurance capability, etc. And then the tough decision on whether to stay with the broken down rider if one of you has a flat or mechanical issue; do you both lose out on the cert, or is it okay if the other one completes the ride?

Get rest beforehand, drink lots of water, know when to stop and take a break, don't push yourself excessively and don't be trying to beat some kind of time limit. It's not so hard as you think, take your time and finish.
I couldn't agree more. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. By the way, having the urge to pee helps to keep you awake. :trust:

Make sure you have some secure place to put your receipts. It sucks having to chase receipts across the gas station parking lot in the wind. At least, that's what I've heard, right, that's it.
You can buy a very small clipboard (6x8?) that is perfect for securing your receipt. Place a small piece of stiff plastic on the clipboard and you can slide the receipt under it. This is very beneficial for taking a photo of the receipt along with your odometer (you'll need to start doing this if you become a Premier member and begin submitting your rides electronically.

Just finished setting up my spotwalla account along with swconnect.
Another good decision. If you happen to lose a receipt (and didn't take a photo of it) this can be a good backup to your documentation.

Pack extra earplugs
You have no idea how good a fresh set of earplugs will feel after 500 miles.

Stretch it 70 miles r/t to Ft. Hancock and enjoy a good meal at Angie's Cafe. A hidden gem.
Until you know your own capabilities of LD riding I strongly recommend against any lunches/dinners. I'm a big proponent of salads, jerky, trail mix, etc. Good protein, low carbs, low sugars.

There are five steps to earning a SaddleSore certification;
1. Choose a safe route
2. get a start witness
3. collect and track receipts
4. get an end witness
5. copy and submit your documentation
Your witness does NOT have to happen at your first and last fuel stop. It is perfectly okay to have start/stop witness be a spouse, friend, family member, co-worker, etc, as long as they are "reasonably" close to your start/stop fuel stop. This can be done the night before the ride, or later in the day after you get back.

If you become a premier member you'll no longer need to have witnesses. Your Spotwalla tracks and your receipts are all that you will need.

Congrats on starting down the path to LDR addiction... just know up front that there is no cure.
:rider:

And bring home barbeque... ;-)
This seems very familiar. :eat:

That adds another hour onto the trip. I know my last hour was a bear and I was quite glad there wasn't another one. I also ate a sizable meal for lunch on mine and had to fight the sleepies for a bit in the afternoon. If it hadn't been the primary destination and I'd only been doing a cert ride, I'd have had something much lighter for lunch. But it does add some fun to have a special destination on your trip.

I did a SaddleSore 1000 back in 2017. I made it in 23 hours, on purpose.

My plan was to do the Moonshine Lunch Run and they have a SS1000 associated with it https://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/mlrss1k.asp. I left Friday morning around 9:30 so I would miss rush hour. I rode until about 11pm with a planned stop in Columbia, MO. I had dinner and checked into my hotel room and slept for a little over 5 hours. I got up early so I could miss the rush hour heading into St Louis. After I got east of St Louis, I knew I had made it with one hour to spare (based on GPS plus the map I had as backup) so I stopped, had breakfast, warmed up then went on into Casey, IL. Needless to say, my route was not an out and back.

Bike: 2017 BMW R1200GSA with a range of around 275 miles.
I didn't waste time at gas stops. I did hydrate (and had my Camelback as well) at every stop. I also ate energy bars that I had eaten leading up to the ride so I knew I would not have any gastrointestinal surprises.

Last edited:
I will be rocking solo, I would hate to sandbag someone else's attempt.
Copy that on lite meals, peppered beef jerky and mixed nuts for me.
My Lovely Bride will most likely wake up and cuss me at O dark 30 so I will have a witness leaving and hopefully she will still want me when I get home. The start and end will be less than a mile from home.
I like that tip about the clip board. Just need a quick place to stow it.
Great point on the earplugs, I keep a jar at home and will move it to the tail bag before I leave.
I am not really sure what the Premier member is. I am guessing either paid or proven rider???
I am still working on the drinking tube set up, I have a butchered camelbak tube I am trying to rig up for on the fly drinking.
That Last Hour......It seems like I always am tired when I get close to home. The anticipation of it being over, a hot shower, and warm bed.

I'd pack some kind of energy bar as well. Also, something like a 5hr energy drink on hand. I've gotten hit hard with being super tired on a ride. Remember all the stuff in trail mix? Nuts and candy? Candy provides the kick now, but will fade and leave you feeling more tired if you don't have something else. Nuts provide longer term energy but take a bit to kick in, hence the mixture. When I started dragging I hit some caffeine and an energy bar. It really helped quite a bit and no more issues coming home. You don't want to rely solely on caffeine but if you need it, it helps. Also, not drinking any caffeine for a week or so prior to the ride helps if you can do it.

I think Meridian was referring to this perhaps. It was a fun ride, for a fun cause and I'm super glad I did it. If you need inspiration or something to pass time while you wait on your ride...
It's 4am and I have a craving for some BBQ

I am not really sure what the Premier member is. I am guessing either paid or proven rider???
It is a paid membership level but can only be obtained after you have your SS1K certification. Premier members get Uber-quick certifications, whereas your first one will most likely take a couple of months to be approved.

I am still working on the drinking tube set up, I have a butchered camelbak tube I am trying to rig up for on the fly drinking.
Go to any IBA gathering and you are likely to see a lot of MotoJugs...
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motojug-hydration-system.1058738/

Of if you have Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/MotoJug/

Lots more info and videos... https://www.google.com/search?q=mot...i61j0j69i59.2215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Since you're right around the corner, you should come visit the Dallas party in October... http://www.ironbutt.com/texas/

Another benefit of Premier membership is that you get advance notice of stuff like this so that you have plenty of time to secure your room before it's opened up to the unwashed masses. :mrgreen:

The primary reason I'm going is to attend the Rally Routing and the Basecamp seminars but I'm also registered for the SS1K. If they conflict I'll stay at the hotel and do the seminars as I'll be doing a SS1K on the way to Dallas and on the way home.

I did see that on the IBA forum, I will be just getting back from sea on the 18th. Spend the first couple of days adjusting back to normal life.
I dropped the book of faces over a year ago.
I will look in on the motojugs.
Thanks
Those early morning cravings can get you.

I have both. The Geigerrig has been my go-to hydration source for many years. I just got the MotoJug a few weeks ago BEFORE it was decided that Brenda would be joining me on my September trip.

The great upside of the Geigerrig is the pressurized bladder which allows me to spray my neck and down my sleeves in order to wet my LD Comfort undergear while riding. The downside is that in the heat of the southwest it doesn't always keep the water as cold as I would like, nor does it stay full on a long ride even though I have the largest one available.

I have an Rtic 1-gallon insulated bottle for my Moto Jug carrier which would alleviate both issues, but I can't mount it to the passenger footpeg when she's with me. I've seen photos of both an upside down mount mounted to the side of the Wing's trunk, and a pressurized (using a low pressure 12V water pump) jug. I'll hang onto it for my rare solo rides.

I will be rocking solo, I would hate to sandbag someone else's attempt.
Copy that on lite meals, peppered beef jerky and mixed nuts for me.
My Lovely Bride will most likely wake up and cuss me at O dark 30 so I will have a witness leaving and hopefully she will still want me when I get home. The start and end will be less than a mile from home.
I like that tip about the clip board. Just need a quick place to stow it.
Great point on the earplugs, I keep a jar at home and will move it to the tail bag before I leave.
That Last Hour......It seems like I always am tired when I get close to home. The anticipation of it being over, a hot shower, and warm bed.

I kind of breezed thru some of the responses, so if this was mentioned... never mind...

Be prepared to pull the plug if things are going sideways or you are fighting sleepiness or exhaustion. A certificate and license plate cover are not worth ramping up the risk factor IMHO. You can always get it done another time.

Here is wishing you clear skies, cheap gas and an successful ride!

FYI, a guy in Georgia on another forum for FJR's had posted up that he was looking to do a BBG (Bun Burner Gold, 1500 in 24 hours) and was looking to use Terrell TX as his turn around point. As that is right around the corner from me I offered to meet him at the turn around. Things happened and his plans got pushed aside. I'd forgotten about it too till you posted here. So I shot him a text message asking him when he was going to do his ride. Apparently that lit a fire under his rear and he got up this morning and sent me a text that he was on his way. I met him at the turn around and he got to view the amazing jerky bar at Bucee's having never been to a Bucee's he left with the bike a little heavier than it arrived. Just got word he made it home and completed the BBG. He sent me a word of thanks for lighting the fire and I made sure he knew you reminded me to remind him. Anyway, just letting you know that you indirectly influenced someone else to do their ride, now it's your turn!

...back in early April went thru the Pecos area [Ft Stockton to Artesia].
....with the oil work going on there....it was a beeotch...!!!
...just my .02 cents worth.
....a quickly adaptable plan B might be good to have at the ready.
:thumb: :thumb:

Believe me I am really looking forward to it.
I have no problem with pulling over to get a hotel room. I am not as young as I used to be. I hate driving by Braille. There have been a few times driving home from Fourchon, La after working the night shift that I had to pull over and get a room. In the truck of course.
So what was the deal between Ft Stockton and Artesia? Bad road, weather what happened?
Texas T, I broke down and ordered my LD comfort and received them last week. I just need to get out and try them.

FYI, a guy in Georgia on another forum for FJR's had posted up that he was looking to do a BBG (Bun Burner Gold, 1500 in 24 hours) and was looking to use Terrell TX as his turn around point. As that is right around the corner from me I offered to meet him at the turn around. Things happened and his plans got pushed aside. I'd forgotten about it too till you posted here. So I shot him a text message asking him when he was going to do his ride. Apparently that lit a fire under his rear and he got up this morning and sent me a text that he was on his way. I met him at the turn around and he got to view the amazing jerky bar at Bucee's having never been to a Bucee's he left with the bike a little heavier than it arrived. Just got word he made it home and completed the BBG. He sent me a word of thanks for lighting the fire and I made sure he knew you reminded me to remind him. Anyway, just letting you know that you indirectly influenced someone else to do their ride, now it's your turn!

Yea, I was watching his thread as well thinking I may be in Wills Point on a project during his trip. Just saw he made it. Glad you got to meet up with him at the turn.

So what was the deal between Ft Stockton and Artesia? Bad road, weather what happened?
Texas T, I broke down and ordered my LD comfort and received them last week. I just need to get out and try them.

Tons of oil patch trucks in the area. Lots of traffic and lots of wear & tear on the roads. I stopped and had breakfast at the McDonald's on the west side of town and 285 runs past the front of the restaurant. Constant... I mean constant trucking traffic. It took a while to be able to get back on I-10 going west.

I just replaced my LDC head covers for me and the wife. We owned the limited edition orange ones and they were beginning to look a bit (a LOT) grungy so I got a new red one and she got a black one.

When it's HOT and I stop for fuel I like to wet down the head cover and throw it in the ice machine outside for a few minutes. It feels SOOOOO good when I put it back on.

Back