• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

I'm right at 14000 on mine. I'm not sure how to tell when you need one other than when it stretches so far you can't adjust it.
mine still had a lot more of adjustment to go. You will start to feel it get notchy, especially at slow speed when you take off from a stop. Mine could have gone another 10k miles based upon stretch. I don't like notchy chains. You can also examine each link and see if you have a frozen link. I had a couple.

If you chain is quiet and not notchy, keep riding with that big grin on your face :)

Hey guys...been thinking about getting a AT for awhile now. Just got back from a guided tour in AK where I upgraded to the AT, so that I could try it out. First thing...when I got the bike it had over 59000 miles on it (less than 2 years old!). Right off the bat that told me it was durable. I put almost 1400 on it in the week I rode it. No problems. A couple other ATs on the ride blew fork seals. We rode mostly paved, but did about 30% dirt, some of which was pretty rough. Also each day the guide had "extra credit" rides for anyone interested. Usually 10-15 miles out and back on jeep roads...until the road ended or became to bad to continue. I was surprised at what all the bike could handle off-road. All in all...I was impressed. Obviously not a Goldwing, but very comfortable on the highway. Couple of days we did close to 300 miles and no worse for the wear! Pretty much ready to get one. Hoping to find a good low mileage one that someone has all tricked out! Otherwise may wait for the new ADV model.

I'm right at 14000 on mine. I'm not sure how to tell when you need one other than when it stretches so far you can't adjust it.

:tab Lightly tap the side of the chain midway between the front and rear sprockets. If you hear rattling, that means some of the O-rings are toast and the chain is not long for this world. The biggest factor for chain life is keeping the O-rings intact. They keep the water/dirt out of the area inside the roller pins. Rust will destroy the O-rings.

:tab If the chain has worn so bad that you are at or near the end of the adjustment range, I'd definitely replace it!

Hey guys...been thinking about getting a AT for awhile now. Just got back from a guided tour in AK where I upgraded to the AT, so that I could try it out. First thing...when I got the bike it had over 59000 miles on it (less than 2 years old!). Right off the bat that told me it was durable. I put almost 1400 on it in the week I rode it. No problems. A couple other ATs on the ride blew fork seals. We rode mostly paved, but did about 30% dirt, some of which was pretty rough. Also each day the guide had "extra credit" rides for anyone interested. Usually 10-15 miles out and back on jeep roads...until the road ended or became to bad to continue. I was surprised at what all the bike could handle off-road. All in all...I was impressed. Obviously not a Goldwing, but very comfortable on the highway. Couple of days we did close to 300 miles and no worse for the wear! Pretty much ready to get one. Hoping to find a good low mileage one that someone has all tricked out! Otherwise may wait for the new ADV model.
If you go new, check with Honda of Russellville (Arkansas). They will usually beat most any other shop on price to the point you can buy most of your accessories and still be around the price of just the bike if you buy it anywhere else. They beat my best local dealer price by $2401.

Hey Travis, I will sell you mine for $20,000 tonight at the meeting LOL, I have no desire to trick another bike out for a few years :)

I hear a lot about fork seals blowing on the AT, or all usd forks. I had a left one weeping when I bought it (5k miles). I lowered the dust seal and used the motion pro fork cleaning tool (that thin piece of plastic that cleans the inside of the seal). I also added Seal Savers that velcro to the outside. No problems, knock on wood. I did change my fork oil about 7k miles ago to 10w.

I also replaced the rear shock spring from Cogent ($150) made my world right again. The best farkle for me was the Camel Tank. That 5 gallon tank drove me crazy on long tours. 6.7 gallons now and I stop when I WANT not when the bike needs.

...been thinking about getting a AT for awhile now...

Yeah, Travis, I think you should pull the trigger on this. And if you get one with black rims, I'll trade you for a really cool, rare set of gold ones!:sun: ...and handlebars too.

Yeah, Travis, I think you should pull the trigger on this. And if you get one with black rims, I'll trade you for a really cool, rare set of gold ones!:sun: ...and handlebars too.

If he doesn't hit you up on this and you really want to swap, I'd trade you. I think the gold would look good on the red and white.:trust:

If he doesn't hit you up on this and you really want to swap, I'd trade you. I think the gold would look good on the red and white.:trust:

I have seen a couple pictures of Red, and White ATs with Gold rims, they do look very good.
At least there would be one I could tell wasn't my bike:doh:

I'm thinking of getting a Jack in the box Ball on an antenna for the next ride:giveup:

As far as the weeping seals go, cleaning below the Dust seal usually fixes it as misterk mentioned. either way, fork seals are pretty easy to change if needed.
it is just part of riding off road. (can you tell I've owned KTM's for the last 28 years)

Last edited:
Fun video to watch:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89EuGHVJrGk"]Honda Africa Twin at Pacific Raceway - YouTube[/ame]

That guy is my new hero; made the twin look great

See if you have any kinked links, if no linked links keep going till you maxed the stretch.

I changed my air filters today at 21k miles. Probably could have got another 5k out of them.

83698ebcc50f0bea8c2b90d3f9e75bc0.jpg

That's good to know, appreciate it.

I hear its a booger of a job.

Takes about an hour, I am slow. I have to remove crash bars, side panels aren’t bad once you do it a couple of times. Pretty simple job.

f76860f7bd82dcf3656183da137fbb18.jpg

Last edited:
I had my air filters changed on the AT last week at 8k miles. Half those miles were on dirt, so my filters were filthy.
T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody got the replacement clip for their center stand yet?

Woods has one in stock waiting for me to run by so they can install it. Because it is a safety Rectal they won’t let me do it myself

My local dealer ordered one for me as well. Going to swing it by when the rain lets up.

Yea, had mine done a few weeks ago.

Woods has one in stock waiting for me to run by so they can install it. Because it is a safety Rectal they won’t let me do it myself

That was what I concerned about (not being able to do it myself). Due to my schedule, it’s going to be tough to make it by a shop to get it done.

North Houston AT-owner checking in!
Looking to put some miles on the new bike.
Could use a nice coating of dirt, so don't mind taking the less-traveled roads if anyone knows their way around down here.

Back