• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Based on your radiator experience, I went ahead and got the crash bars put on today along with a Shinko 804 front tire to give it a little more traction off pavement.

Already put on the hand guards and foot pegs. Planning on adding a windscreen and center stand and then hopefully done with the farkles at that point.

Yeah, I've seen three dealers post about it on FB along with Givi last night:

Capture.jpg

Just got back from the RMR in Mena Ark. 1300 miles there and back, AMGAP while there, saw this gravel pile in Daingerfield, “ Remember who’s at the top of the pile!”

Attachments

• FBEE1C31-46BA-4F86-9538-F649CC973AC9.jpg
    FBEE1C31-46BA-4F86-9538-F649CC973AC9.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 264
Real prototype??

Attachments

• 42705350_2013188122105817_6363973224258076672_n.jpg
    42705350_2013188122105817_6363973224258076672_n.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 266
They need to drop the Versys 650 engine into the KLR and call it a day.

Wow that's cool. I don't have the mech skills to pull that off. Gotta wait on Kawi to do it for me.

I'm super Interested in that KTM 790 Adventure though.

I bought my KLR years ago with maybe 4k and it only has 10k miles now. It is unwashed and beat up from a couple hard falls. I recently discovered I like commuting on it. It's my lightest bike, gets the best mileage, great riding position, has an antique feel and is the one I'm least likely to get a ticket on. It came with a C. E. Bailey windshield that had the best wind protection of all my bikes. I broke it into two pieces unfortunately and that windshield is no longer made.

I'm considering a Madstad. Thoughts on the best highway shield?

KLR Dash + Zero Gravity Touring windscreen is what I have right now. Seems pretty good. Not as nice as my Madstad on the Africa Twin, but close.

What size is the rifle on the Gen 1

Hit 87 K yesterday. On HWY 304 south of Bastrop. All original internals, except the doohickey...:sun:

What size is the rifle on the Gen 1

Not exactly sure but it’s their standard length. It offers as good of wind protection as anything I’ve ridden with no buffeting whatsoever.

Mike P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an '07 with the oil consumption issue. I've been reading around that the 685 kit from eaglemike.com seems to be a solid solution to the issue, was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Just looking to get an idea before i spend that kind of money.

I installed the 685 kit on my 2008. My bike was using oil when at highway speeds. Like about 7 ounces a week. If I was only offroad I don't think it used any oil. In any case, oil is cheap and easily had. The 685 kit is an effort and expensive by the time your done. If I spent $300 on the kit. Then, I spent another $500 on tools, lubes, gaskets and cylinder bore. For example, the wrist pin clips were impossibly hard to install. In contrast, the stock wrist pin clips you can install with your fingers. I had to buy a special tool from a Porsche shop to install the clips in my 685 kit. I even bought extra clips to practice with. Yeah, I've read how folks use screwdrivers and pliers but those clips are easily damaged. Very easy in fact.

Soooooo ... if your using about 7 ounces of oil a week running 70mph on highways then I'd just add more oil or take your bike offroad. Oil is cheap. The kit was fun to install but not worth the hassle. I was curious about the end result. Oil is cheap.

I use about a quart per 300 miles so on weekend rides, even 100 miles, it can become a problem. Im thinking maybe just the rings are bad or the valve guides. I think the job has to be done anyway just wasn't sure if the 685 kit was worth doing while in there. Even if i just get the stock setup, with 30,000 the cylinder would need honing already anyway.

I've got an '07 with the oil consumption issue. I've been reading around that the 685 kit from eaglemike.com seems to be a solid solution to the issue, was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Just looking to get an idea before i spend that kind of money.

I now have ridden 85+K miles on the 685 modification on my 08. No oil usage at extended distances at 5krpm+ inclusive of an IBR 1100 mile day ride. The JE piston is a work of art. The EM bore is spot on too.

I have installed at least 4 for others to. No big deal to do it if you know what you are doing. I have no reservations recommending it.

I now have ridden 85+K miles on the 685 modification on my 08. No oil usage at extended distances at 5krpm+ inclusive of an IBR 1100 mile day ride. The JE piston is a work of art. The EM bore is spot on too.

I have installed at least 4 for others to. No big deal to do it if you know what you are doing. I have no reservations recommending it.

Thats good to hear, I know its a descent chunk of change, but I plan on running the bike for a while. I even want to ride it more now im just nervous to run too long without checking the oil level. I am half mechanically inclined, would probably have to buy some tools. Kind of nervous about going inside a 4 stroke for the first time.

There should be several from the SA area that not only have the tools, but also will help you - there have been in the past.

The pre 08 piston was prone to breaking the land between the rings, a reason for the change in 08, which in itself had to be changed again. That land breakage would cause excessive oil usage.

Your oil usage is excessive and must be addressed. The alternative will be a lot more expensive.

Back