• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

I credit, or maybe I should say blame, my best friend from Jr High and still today, Bob ( @GLFlyer ).

When we were 15, Bob had a moped, Bob could go places without a parent. Bob had freedom. That was cool.

I mowed lawns and did my paper route and my Mom kicked in a bit and I bought a Yamaha QT50, just like Bob's except mine had brakes. :) (Bob just used his feet because his brakes didn't work...his mom wondered why his shoes kept wearing out so fast)

Anyway...Bob and I went all over Arlington on those QT50s. We were 15 and mobile. They might have only went 38 mph, but they opened the door to so many things.

That summer at 15 was really fun. I think I fell in love with the freedom that a motorcycle could provide.

30+ years later, I think we've got some role reversal as I'm the one getting Bob to buy bikes, but we still do a lot of adventures together. We've done long distance touring, rides with our wives and other family and friends, track racing, dirt bikes and Bob just got an ADV bike so hopefully we'll do some ADV riding in the future. Past and present, much of our friendship revolves around motorcycles and 2 wheeled adventures to one extent or the other.

Who knows what the next 30 years looks like....but I'm betting it will have 2 wheels and Bob and Dave doing something on them.

Last edited:
:tab None of the guys that got me into riding still ride :-( They did a bit the first several years after I started riding, but then I guess life got in the way and their bikes have been sitting for well over 10 years now... just sitting and collecting dust in their garages. We are all still good friends because we were friends long before I started riding, like from early high school. We still get together for a guy's weekend a few times a years at the home of the sole remaining bachelor. Being nerds, we sometimes play the old school Dungeon's & Dragons (like the original version). Sometimes we play RISK, because you never outgrow that. One of the guys usually does a superb dinner for us Saturday night. It often involves 15-18 year old booze... which I can only do in moderation nowadays. It is ironic that the 3-4 of them that rode did so for years before I did and then stopped while I continue to ride. We did at least get to do a few fun trips together though.

:tab It was my Dad that planted the first seed though, giving me a ride on a CB 450 he had while we were stationed at Ft. Hood back in the early 70s. That bike did not stay around long though. I only got one or two rides before I think Mom insisted it go away. He went without a bike from then until around 2000 when I first started riding. Seeing me and my wife both get bikes gave him the bug again. That lasted about a year or so until he had a pretty bad accident and he gave it up for good. I can tell that he still has that urge though. He gets restless when I start planning trips. He's pushing 80 now and his balance is shot, so definitely no more riding for him. At one time he thought about a Can-AM Spyder, but even that didn't work out like he had hoped. So now he just enjoys my pictures from my rides/trips.

OK, I'll be "that guy"...

Charley & Ewan

No one in my family rode, none of my friends, no one I knew, really. One kinda distant acquaintance had a Harley in his garage. My office moved closer to me - about 4 miles away down a nice wide residential road, so I starting thinking about a scooter to commute on - then Charley and Ewan informed me that motorcycles can be used for actual travel, camping, etc. That was a revelation - and I'm not exactly sure why. Previously, motorcycles were just noisy city-bound things that guys with creative facial hair and tattoos had. And there were only three kinds of motorcycles: Harlerys, Ninjas and dirt bikes. But all of a sudden, a motorcycle was an actually useful way to get around - not to mention a crazy amount of fun. So, I bought a cheap, small cruiser to learn on, had it about 6 months and traded it in for a Versys, kinda learned how to ride it, then strapped on my camping gear and did a two-week solo trip up through the rockies, Utah, Montana, etc. That was a kinda big deal for me. Yeah, not a 'round the world trip, but hugely fun, darn good for the midlife blues.

So, I bought a cheap, small cruiser to learn on, had it about 6 months and traded it in for a Versys, kinda learned how to ride it, then strapped on my camping gear and did a two-week solo trip up through the rockies, Utah, Montana, etc. That was a kinda big deal for me. Yeah, not a 'round the world trip, but hugely fun, darn good for the midlife blues.

:tab It doesn't matter if what you did is as impressive or amazing as what someone else did. It got you out of your "box" and showed you that you can do more in life. For a LOT of people, that is a much needed lesson/experience! :thumb:

My Uncle Johnny, that’s me on the seat with him in about 1968
398948ad6d30bd39ee11f4372fab6085.jpg

Last edited:
:tab So now he just enjoys my pictures from my rides/trips.

This smells like justification for a Ural........ Sounds like he needs a good pilot. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I always wanted one. I ended up having a motorcycle before I had a car.

My grandmother, who raised me, was pretty awesome. She knew how to ride motorcycles, fly airplanes and shoot guns. Her brother had left behind his flathead Harley, when he joined the military right before WWII. Grandma learned to ride it, maintain it and kept it going until he came back, after the war. It was also better on gas, and gas was rationed so it made sense to ride it more.

She did not have a problem with me getting a bike at 15. (an old street legal enduro) She was about 70 and rode it around the block a few time when I brought it home.

then Charley and Ewan informed me that motorcycles can be used for actual travel, camping, etc. That was a revelation - and I'm not exactly sure why. Previously, motorcycles were just noisy city-bound things that guys with creative facial hair and tattoos had. And there were only three kinds of motorcycles: Harlerys, Ninjas and dirt bikes.

That was kind of my realization as well when getting passed by some ADV bikes while cycling in the Hill Country. I had no idea those bikes existed. Or Moto Camping. I thought it was just the three that you mentioned and I didn't have interest in those. I was already at a point where I wanted to do touring farther than what a bicycle trip would let me do, so it was just the next natural step.

The guy my parents always disapproved of ,Bobby McNamee
My mother still thinks that he was a bad influence on me 8-)

"I believe it was in 1965 that he bought his last bike. I believe it was the first year for Harley to have electric start. Someone might correct me here."

Texas rider, 65 was the first year for electric start and last year for the Pan head so your Grandfather had a very unique bike, Thanks for sharing.
Here is some pics of my Grandfather and the bike
30054301356552(1).jpeg

30054301367023(1).jpeg

30054301404026(1).jpeg

OK, I'll be "that guy"...

Charley & Ewan

No one in my family rode, none of my friends, no one I knew, really. One kinda distant acquaintance had a Harley in his garage. My office moved closer to me - about 4 miles away down a nice wide residential road, so I starting thinking about a scooter to commute on - then Charley and Ewan informed me that motorcycles can be used for actual travel, camping, etc. That was a revelation - and I'm not exactly sure why. Previously, motorcycles were just noisy city-bound things that guys with creative facial hair and tattoos had. And there were only three kinds of motorcycles: Harlerys, Ninjas and dirt bikes. But all of a sudden, a motorcycle was an actually useful way to get around - not to mention a crazy amount of fun. So, I bought a cheap, small cruiser to learn on, had it about 6 months and traded it in for a Versys, kinda learned how to ride it, then strapped on my camping gear and did a two-week solo trip up through the rockies, Utah, Montana, etc. That was a kinda big deal for me. Yeah, not a 'round the world trip, but hugely fun, darn good for the midlife blues.
Hey Jeff, BTW I’m glad you are that guy! Lotta cool riders near Austin, and you are one I was glad to meet! 💯👍🏻

Last edited:
Back