• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nancy's Chicken Run

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
For those of you who think that *I'm* crazy for the rides that I do...

Actually, if I could have gotten the time off (very tough this time of year when you work in retail) I would have been doing this exact ride, and i don't even like Popeye's.

The following is from my friend Nancy Lefcourt, an Iron Butt Rally finisher and one of my fellow witnesses for Alex Schmidt's 1500 mi / 24 hr ride within the Phoenix city limits:

Most of you don't know me as a totally crazy person....BUT....apparently I am totally nuts. I'm headed to New Orleans next weekend to get my free chicken dinner and collect a years worth of chicken dinners. Yup, I'm riding. From Los Angeles to Ft. Stockton, ordering my dinner from the drive up kiosk, then riding from Ft. Stockton to New Orleans. Over 1900 miles each way for Popeye’s Chicken. Yup, I can get it about a mile or so from my house….but what fun would that be?

Popeye's had a contest....they installed a 12 hour drive thru in Ft. Stockton, TX. If you know Fort Stockton, it's a small town with a few gas stations and a bunch of motels....a stop along I-10. Nothing to see there. The contest was to win a spot going to the drive thru, ordering, and 12 or so hours arriving at the Canal street location in New Orleans to pick up your dinner. If I do this I get a years worth of chicken dinners. LOL Well, one a week basically.

Original YouTube video from Popeye's about the contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBa...o#action=share

If anyone wants to ride along with me from Ft. Stockton to New Orleans, you too will get one free chicken dinner in New Orleans in exchange for a liability release (I have it), proof of insurance, signing away your firstborn, etc., etc. I'm working my timing out.....will let you know if interested.

Once I know my timing, I hope that friends in the vicinity will meet me down there so I don't have to eat my Popeyes alone.

It's totally okay if your laughing....I am.

You can follow me here. I'll be leaving in the wee hours of 11/9 and when I pin my timing down I'll post it. Spotwalla Link will be active at 0001 Friday 11/9 and go thru Monday 11/12.
I'll be post here as I'm able (not while I'm riding obviously)

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=1...ult&refresh=no

She has created a FB page for her ride called Nancy's Chicken Run and you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2203336899926715/

She has at least one other rider that will join up with her at Ft Stockton and ride the rest of the way to NOLA with her. He's another hard core rider with about 65K miles under his belt this year. One of the top riders for the Tour Of Honor, a top 10 finisher in this year's Hoka Hey ride, and a top contender for America's Ultimate Long Distance Rider Challenge... Kenneth Andrews, also known as Rainman, because almost every place he rides to is drenched in cloudy perspiration.

This will be a fun one to ride and I wish I could have gotten the time off to do it myself. It's a solid 1,500 miles from my door to NOLA which means it's good enough for a Bun Burner Silver if I could ride it in under 30 hours.

So what does 12 hours or so from Ft Stockton to NO mean ? If you take 13 hours, no winner, winner, no chicken dinner?

Just curious, I'm still trying to work my way back from a serious hip injury. I'm only able to take about 6-7 hours of saddle time. No way I'll be doing any distant riding for awhile. Quite possible I will require total hip replacement.

This is awesome
I haven't had time for breakfast though, might be the hunger talking...
No, I'd do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Truly awesome excuse to do a challenging ride. Good luck with the IBA quals. ;)

hqdefault.jpg

Spotwalla link is down

WHAT IS HAPPENING

Looks like she may have changed the link. Here ya go:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.ph...ast=0&fillFactor=100&zoomLevel=10&showAll=yes

She rode past the house on the way to lunch in Eloy, but I had to take Brenda to the dentist so I wasn't able to meet up with Nancy for a bite. I "think" she has a co-rider but I don't know who it might be. Kenneth Andrews is supposed to join up with her at Ft Stockton as part of a BB ride from Arkansas to NOLA.

I missed this little jewel the first time I read the original post:

Alex Schmidt's 1500 mi / 24 hr ride within the Phoenix city limits

Yeah, I saw it, I just thought of the logistics involved. Fighting traffic, everything. But it seems like a cool idea if one would find a good loop to use to break into a bb or bbg

We did it as a SS1K first. We had witnesses at the I-17/Carefree exit where Alex would make his turnaround to head south on I-17. Myself and others were positioned at I-17/Buckeye (very unsavory location at 3 am) where we would witness him just prior to I-17 turning east, and then he would turn north on I-10 which became Hwy 51 N and we had another crew there.

It was a 64 mile loop and here's a link to the map: https://goo.gl/maps/MJmJr3U5Z9o

When I tell folks about the ride they think it's no big deal because "Phoenix" is a very large area (like Houston), but the actual city limits are much, much smaller. Here is a link to the actual city limits map: https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksite/Documents/CityLimitsMapBook20181024.pdf

After he successfully did this with time to spare (he wanted to continue on to make it a BBG but the ride master said no) he began planning his BBG for a couple of months later. We got another set of witnesses and off he went. I forget the time but I think it was in the vicinity of 23 hours.

He made these stickers to give to members of his "witness" program. :trust:

Attachments

• Front - Edited.jpg
    Front - Edited.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 292
We did it as a SS1K first. We had witnesses at the I-17/Carefree exit where Alex would make his turnaround to head south on I-17. Myself and others were positioned at I-17/Buckeye (very unsavory location at 3 am) where we would witness him just prior to I-17 turning east, and then he would turn north on I-10 which became Hwy 51 N and we had another crew there.

It was a 64 mile loop and here's a link to the map: https://goo.gl/maps/MJmJr3U5Z9o

When I tell folks about the ride they think it's no big deal because "Phoenix" is a very large area (like Houston), but the actual city limits are much, much smaller. Here is a link to the actual city limits map: https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksite/Documents/CityLimitsMapBook20181024.pdf

After he successfully did this with time to spare (he wanted to continue on to make it a BBG but the ride master said no) he began planning his BBG for a couple of months later. We got another set of witnesses and off he went. I forget the time but I think it was in the vicinity of 23 hours.

He made these stickers to give to members of his "witness" program. :trust:
I feel like I could do something like this around victoria(not staying in city limits) pretty easy. Seems like a good and safe way to break into it. I'll have to put some miles on the R60 before I trust it cross country.

From her FB page:

Long day riding in cool temps (mostly 40s), some rain and wind. Did I mention traffic? But made it to New Orleans for my chicken dinner! Got a giant check, a tee shirt and a years worth of chicken! Oh and my photo on the wall! New Orleans was hopping!!! I even saw a parade!! Many photos are thanks to Troy Martin for joining me for the fun at the end!!! Fun trip! Heading home tomorrow!

45776070_2809963305684239_3996164995288137728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

The photo on the bottom left is another rider that is from San Antonio.
46051491_2809963369017566_4703013653253718016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

[Dead link - Admin]
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0c847f764061ff716c6df39a480639c9&oe=5C3EB994

45861925_2809963395684230_3264101713904140288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stockton to NOLA is quite a ride in 12 hrs. San Antonio, Houston and Baton Rouge traffic can be quite a challenge in a cage. Very impressive young lady! :thumb:

Stockton to NOLA is quite a ride in 12 hrs. San Antonio, Houston and Baton Rouge traffic can be quite a challenge in a cage. Very impressive young lady! :thumb:

Definitely. Then again....it wasn't her first rodeo. (or LD ride in this case)

Was probably a walk in the park for her.

Did she actually make it in 12 hrs? I couldn't tell from Spotwalla link.

What was actual requirement? Above it only said "12 hrs or so"

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I show her leaving Ft Stockton about 0315 and hitting the Popeye's location at 1700. What's the time difference? One hour? So it appears she did it in 13 hours. I think they gave her a BIG cushion of time:

46095530_2809963682350868_1628646809754664960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Ft. Stockton and NOLA are both in the Central time zone.
El Paso is in Mountain zone but Ft. Stockton is not that far west.

Brian, how did Popeyes chicken get into this program promotion? Is this open to 4 wheelers too? Is the CEO or someone a ld rider ?

Good report :thumb:

Back