• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 KTM Adventure 790

You get an A for effort at taking it elsewhere :-P

Seriously thinking about pre-ordering one.

Wonder how it would do on a 500-700 mile day and if I could replace my GS with it.

MisterK rode his NC700X on multiple 1000 mile days and long ADV rides. He said that bike would have been perfect with a bigger front tire and 10-20 more HP.

The KTM would seem to be exactly that.

Kevin wanted DCT so it won't work for him, but I'm thinking it would work pretty well for me.

Last edited:
Sounds like it would work. Might depend on how much you like to carry.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thinking R or non R version?

It would have been a nice bike on the Arkansas Dirt trip, for sure.

45 lbs less than an Africa Twin with the same horsepower sounds nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
R version for sure.

Will be interesting to see how it carries luggage though.

That is the biggest reason that I may wait until it's out and a few people have put it through the paces in the real world.

Also....do we know if it has tube or tubeless tires? I really would prefer tubeless.

I would prefer tubeless, but my guess is no.

Thinking R or non R version?

Adventure R specs
Engine Type: Parallel Twin, 4-Stroke, DOHC
Displacement: 799 cc
Bore/Stroke: 88 / 65.7 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 10Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication with Two Oil Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling with Water/Oil Heat Exchanger
Clutch: PASC (Power Assisted Slipper Clutch), Mechanically Operated
Ignition: Bosch EMS with Ride-By-Wire
Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member
Subframe: CroMoly Steel Trellis
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 26/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP USD Ø 48 mm
Rear Suspension: WP Monoshock with PDS
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 240 mm / 9.4 in; 240 mm / 9.4 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm / 260 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 2.50 x 21”, 4.50 x 18”
Front/Rear Tires: 90/90-21”; 150/70-18”
Steering Head Angle: 26.3º
Wheelbase: 1,528 mm ± 15 mm / 60.2 ± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 263 mm / 10.4 in
Seat Height: 880 mm; 34.6 in
Tank Capacity: 20 l / 5.3 gal
Dry Weight, Approx: 189 kg / 416.7 lbs

Adventure Specs
Engine Type: Parallel Twin, 4-Stroke, DOHC
Displacement: 799 cc
Bore/Stroke: 88 / 65.7 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 10Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication with Two Oil Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling with Water/Oil Heat Exchanger
Clutch: PASC (Power Assisted Slipper Clutch), Mechanically Operated
Ignition: Bosch EMS with Ride-By-Wire
Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member
Subframe: CroMoly Steel Trellis
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 26/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP USD Ø 43 mm
Rear Suspension: WP Monoshock
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 200 mm / 7.9 in; 200 mm / 7.9 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm / 260 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 2.50 x 21”, 4.50 x 18”
Front/Rear Tires: 90/90-21”; 150/70-18”
Steering Head Angle: 25.9º
Wheelbase: 1,509 mm ± 15 mm / 59.4 ± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 233 mm / 9.2 in
Seat Height: 850 / 830 mm; 33.5 / 32.7 in
Tank Capacity: 20 l / 5.3 gal
Dry Weight, Approx: 189 kg / 416.7 lbs

The biggest difference other than a few farkles is the suspension. The R has better suspension for off road stuff, which also means a taller seat height. If you think you are going to be riding anything rutted, sandy, or rocky, the R version would be better. If that will be the exception to your normal riding, then the non R would probably be more desirable as its road manners might be a tad nicer. Although, many of the newer bikes handle so well anyway I don't know if the average bear would even be able to notice a difference between them on pavement :shrug: In the end, I think seat height might be the determining factor for a lot of riders :-P

Spoked wheels in true offroad sizes for optimum tire choice.

Also....do we know if it has tube or tubeless tires? I really would prefer tubeless.

I've had both types on numerous bikes. For bikes where I am going into the unknown, I prefer tubes. Tubeless is nice when you are on pavement and potential help is not far away in the event you cannot get the tire to hold air. I recently got to experience a rider having issues with a tubeless tire on a Ducati Scrambler out in the middle of nowhere. Even though we got the tire plugged, the spokes were leaking so bad it couldn't go 10 feet before being totally flat. Had it been a tubed tire, we could have just put a new tube in any kept on without issue. Tubes may be a bit more of a pain under normal conditions, but when you absolutely have to keep going, I think they work in your favor.

Good point, but dang I'd hate to change that GS tire in the boonies. Both suk.

Spoked wheels in true offroad sizes for optimum tire choice.

Yep...I know it's an 18r 21f and spoked but don't know if tubeless like the 1090R or tubed like the 690 enduro.

Honestly not even sure the 1090 is tubeless. The 1290 SA is, but not positive on the 1090R

Was at Munn's yesterday and caught bits and pieces of conversation going on.

I believe Big dan said all their 790s were spoken for, already. Might be a tough ticket to get.

Yep...I know it's an 18r 21f and spoked but don't know if tubeless like the 1090R or tubed like the 690 enduro.

Honestly not even sure the 1090 is tubeless. The 1290 SA is, but not positive on the 1090R

I know, just showing that was all the specs said, didn't mention either way on tubes.

I believe Big dan said all their 790s were spoken for, already. Might be a tough ticket to get.

I imagine they will move fast at Munn's some shops not so much. My local shop hasn't sold any last I checked, could have changed I guess.

Think I can get one at KTM of North Texas in Arlington. Maybe not...but Todd is good about finding models from other dealers that don't sell theirs if needed.

The real question is whether I want to buy when they are popular and full price or wait a year and get 2K off list. 2K to be first is kind of expensive....

Think I can get one at KTM of North Texas in Arlington. Maybe not...but Todd is good about finding models from other dealers that don't sell theirs if needed.

The real question is whether I want to buy when they are popular and full price or wait a year and get 2K off list. 2K to be first is kind of expensive....

Being as you brought it up ... I've never liked 1st year models.
But, I'm not the breaking new ground type, either.
I like to watch others go through all the R&D.

:duck:

Are the new models prone to issues ?

There is a common perception that the first year of any new model of ANY brand is prone to bugs. So you wait for the second year when the manufacturer has supposedly solved all the bugs that were discovered by riders in the first year models. It is not always true, but it does sometimes happen. However, the BIG assumption is that the manufacturer will admit there is a problem and do anything about it... Witness the final drive failures on many BMWs that were so common during the early 2000s. BMW and the dealerships acted like each one was something totally new and never seen before even though the net was blowing up with people having failures. Then they redesigned them when the 1200 series motors first came out without actually admitting there had ever been a problem :roll: The first year of the new KLRs had an oil consumption issue. They ALL had the doohickey issue and Kawasaki NEVER addressed that in over 20 years of production :lol2:

This motor isn't new. Neither is a lot of the tech the bike is using.

Wonder how it would do on a 500-700 mile day and if I could replace my GS with it.

MisterK rode his NC700X on multiple 1000 mile days and long ADV rides. He said that bike would have been perfect with a bigger front tire and 10-20 more HP.

The KTM would seem to be exactly that.

Kevin wanted DCT so it won't work for him, but I'm thinking it would work pretty well for me.

Why would anybody want to buy a bike with an antique clutch? I am a modern lazy man, if it ain’t got DCT I am not in the least interested. LOL

The 790 is probably a blast to ride in the dirt, I dont think I would want to tour on one unless my name was Lyndon Poskit with Races to Places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The 790 engine isn’t new?

I read KTM released the 790 Duke in Europe in 2018. Did they not?

"The Duke is KTM's first parallel-twin bike; previously the factory had produced only singles and V-twins. Released in 2018 for the European market"

It wouldn't be the first time the Internet lied, I guess.

On the other hand, if its true, the engine and other shared parts would at least have a year's worth of market testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read KTM released the 790 Duke in Europe in 2018. Did they not?

"The Duke is KTM's first parallel-twin bike; previously the factory had produced only singles and V-twins. Released in 2018 for the European market"

It wouldn't be the first time the Internet lied, I guess.

On the other hand, if its true, the engine and other shared parts would at least have a year's worth of market testing.

It’d be interesting to know how many were actually released (sold) in Europe in 2018. I would wager not many. I’d also wager there are at least slight differences in the Euro & American models.

Interesting that it’s their first parallel twin.......I assumed it was a V-twin.

Back