• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A story and an Airhead

Power source is an old 12v battery charger. set on 6 amps but flowing around 4 amps. I believe it is a one way transfer. The flow of electricity is what is causing the electrode to pit, if my understanding is correct. It is just a mild steel rod from home depot. Stuck through the block of wood to isolate from the tank, bent to allow as much rod to stay in the solution as possible. I followed the instructions I found here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-From-A-Motorcycle-Gas-Ta/

I was very sceptical at first, just due to the nature of the process. First charger I used was on it's way out and didnt work. So got another old charger and had the first successful session through the night last night.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

any before/after pics?

any before/after pics?
Here is the before. Going to be running it for about a week. Will post after when completed
f593af75c11ba5cf0c0115aee3a43feb.jpg

I prefer muriatic acid, its quicker. rinse with water and then a pint of rubbing alcohol to remove the water , blow dry with compressed air. spray WD 40 to stop the rust until you can fill it with gas.

I prefer muriatic acid, its quicker. rinse with water and then a pint of rubbing alcohol to remove the water , blow dry with compressed air. spray WD 40 to stop the rust until you can fill it with gas.
I have muriatic acid for a follow up. And going to coat with redkote immediately after

Progress. Alot of the surface rust is already gone. The overflow drain has some sealer on it, the methyl ethyl ketone before the muriatic acid will take care of that.
I know I'm going a bit overboard, but I only want to clean this tank once.
6635cd429972adac13232fec7c2211e3.jpg

5f05e1607c7721bee041ab4642280a5b.jpg

Last edited:
Used Anode compared to original size
d103e5e4a95c1fa63a1a0c22d1a71134.jpg
5dfc697573ad70d89a7315f5db8b17b9.jpg

Its clean enough to coat. Tank will need to be repainted. Had a small pinhole in the bottom, which ruined the paint since I stripped the old coating. Tank will be prime for awhile. If I paint it will be white.

The coolest part of the whole experiment is the anode. Here is another comparison photo.
d62e0f45e18b6cbb8cf1b748f189a2f1.jpg
aaeb6e2dfa7e53c50e9e54662b94644a.jpg

Any updates on the Bemmer?
No not yet. The xrl has taken most of the free time and money. Once its street legal and fully sorted, I will save for tires and battery.

Its clean enough to coat. Tank will need to be repainted. Had a small pinhole in the bottom, which ruined the paint since I stripped the old coating. Tank will be prime for awhile. If I paint it will be white.

The coolest part of the whole experiment is the anode. Here is another comparison photo.
d62e0f45e18b6cbb8cf1b748f189a2f1.jpg
aaeb6e2dfa7e53c50e9e54662b94644a.jpg

The tank results are very impressive!
As to repainting the tank- An NTSB report on motorcycle safety said the SAFEST COLORS for a bike are...BLACK & WHITE...as the cagers never miss noticing a cop! I have 2 bikes painted to B&W and I've had cops salute me, and cars pull over to receive their tickets.

The tank results are very impressive!
As to repainting the tank- An NTSB report on motorcycle safety said the SAFEST COLORS for a bike are...BLACK & WHITE...as the cagers never miss noticing a cop! I have 2 bikes painted to B&W and I've had cops salute me, and cars pull over to receive their tickets.
I've been leaning towards white, or black. Classic BMW. Seeing how it began its life as a Nigerian police bike...

I've been leaning towards white, or black. Classic BMW. Seeing how it began its life as a Nigerian police bike...

Is that all you got for replying to the Nigerian prince e mail, an old beater and an empty bank account :mrgreen:

Is that all you got for replying to the Nigerian prince e mail, an old beater and an empty bank account :mrgreen:
Yes! It was the best scam I ever fell for

Back