• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

William's pw50

My pleasure, I still remember that first ride on my QA50 at age 4 laps around the house we had in Houston 1516 Missouri street

I was the coolest kid in the neighborhood when that bike came home a couple of kids had rupp mini bikes but I had a Honda motorcycle

anything to assist the younder kids get on two wheels

My pleasure, I still remember that first ride on my QA50 at age 4 laps around the house we had in Houston 1516 Missouri street

I was the coolest kid in the neighborhood when that bike came home a couple of kids had rupp mini bikes but I had a Honda motorcycle

anything to assist the younder kids get on two wheels
Bud, it was great to meet you. Hopefully we get a chance to ride together. Thank you and your daughter for yalls help.
Just pass it on if you get the chance. Kids out grow gear so fast it is hard to keep them in it without spending a fortune!
Gear has been received, thank you so much

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Enjoyed meeting you, I am sure we will get some time to ride soon. Hope the young man enjoys it

Does any of it fit?

This weekend I started moving stuff back into my garage and trying to get it all organized. Guess what I found...? Yeah, a whole mess load of different sized kids dirt bike boots :doh: Some were paid forward to me, but all are in good shape (not new). They range from real small up to probably what a 10-12 yr old might wear.

Does any of it fit?

This weekend I started moving stuff back into my garage and trying to get it all organized. Guess what I found...? Yeah, a whole mess load of different sized kids dirt bike boots :doh: Some were paid forward to me, but all are in good shape (not new). They range from real small up to probably what a 10-12 yr old might wear.
The fly boots are close, alittle big but that's okay. Helmet fits too. He will grow into the rest.

Couldnt ride this weekend because I pinched a tube. I forgot how hard 10" tires are to change. Have a tube coming today

Couldnt ride this weekend because I pinched a tube. I forgot how hard 10" tires are to change. Have a tube coming today

Been there, done that!

I was shocked the first time I tried to put new tires on my kid's bikes!! :brainsnap

Big bike tires are WAY easier!

Been there, done that!

I was shocked the first time I tried to put new tires on my kid's bikes!! :brainsnap

Big bike tires are WAY easier!
I'd like to think I'm pretty good with tires, so I was pretty surprised that I pinched it. The tube was really old and showing signs of fatigue though.

Took maybe 5 minutes to do it this evening. Used soapy water and just went slow. It went very easy, so I'm not sure what I did wrong the other day.

Looking at doing a red plastic kit(William's favorite color). Only downside is that I'll have to paint the wheels. Need to replace brake shoes. And look into a restrictor plate.

:tab The TTR50E that I have has a kill switch with remote trigger. It was installed by the previous owner. I theory, if your kid goes WFO and loses control, you push the button and it kills the engine. I never needed it for my son, even though he liked to go FAST. Somehow, he always managed to keep it reasonably under control. I could have used it for my oldest daughter, but she was on a runaway XR80R that did not have the switch. Also, the throttles on a lot of the little bikes have a screw/bolt you can turn to act as a throttle stop, setting the max throttle you can do. I never used that either just because the bolt was missing on mine and I never got around to using it. The girls pretty much never went wide open and my son would have figured out how to remove it... We sometimes had to look away when he was riding :lol2:

These are at my folks place. They have more room to ride that my place. He figured out the driveway could work as a flat top jump when I wasn't looking. Then he had to show off once I realized what he was doing.

SVF_7393.jpg

SVF_7394.jpg

SVF_7395.jpg

SVF_7398.jpg

SVF_7399.jpg

SVF_7405.jpg

He was so pumped from riding when we got home, he wanted to ride Sarah's CRF 110.

SVF_7425.jpg

:tab By the way, that jacket he is wearing has been great. I think it was around $100, but it has help up really well. He was 7 when I shot these pics. He has only recently outgrown it. He used it on the street as well, riding on the back of my 1200 GS, but usually with some kind of wind breaker over it when it got cooler. He's finally big enough for a small street based textile jacket to fit. He's got knee pads on under the pants. If you can't find decent pants protection for your son, go to Academy and look at the football pants. They have knee, hip, thigh, and tail bone padding. My kids wear those under the dirt pants for dirt riding and street.

:tab The TTR50E that I have has a kill switch with remote trigger. It was installed by the previous owner. I theory, if your kid goes WFO and loses control, you push the button and it kills the engine. I never needed it for my son, even though he liked to go FAST. Somehow, he always managed to keep it reasonably under control. I could have used it for my oldest daughter, but she was on a runaway XR80R that did not have the switch. Also, the throttles on a lot of the little bikes have a screw/bolt you can turn to act as a throttle stop, setting the max throttle you can do. I never used that either just because the bolt was missing on mine and I never got around to using it. The girls pretty much never went wide open and my son would have figured out how to remove it... We sometimes had to look away when he was riding [emoji38]2:

These are at my folks place. They have more room to ride that my place. He figured out the driveway could work as a flat top jump when I wasn't looking. Then he had to show off once I realized what he was doing.

SVF_7393.jpg

SVF_7394.jpg

SVF_7395.jpg

SVF_7398.jpg

SVF_7399.jpg

SVF_7405.jpg

He was so pumped from riding when we got home, he wanted to ride Sarah's CRF 110.

SVF_7425.jpg

:tab By the way, that jacket he is wearing has been great. I think it was around $100, but it has help up really well. He was 7 when I shot these pics. He has only recently outgrown it. He used it on the street as well, riding on the back of my 1200 GS, but usually with some kind of wind breaker over it when it got cooler. He's finally big enough for a small street based textile jacket to fit. He's got knee pads on under the pants. If you can't find decent pants protection for your son, go to Academy and look at the football pants. They have knee, hip, thigh, and tail bone padding. My kids wear those under the dirt pants for dirt riding and street.
Throttle stop scrww was missing on the pw, but I stole one off of one of the Chinese atvs. But even all the way in, with the throttle hardly opening, it still hauls. Just slows acceleration.

Hes getting a bigger bicycle for Christmas, that has a hand brake as well as pedal brakes. not going to install the training wheels. I want him to get balancing and brakes down so that I can take the trainers off the pw. Dont want him to get to used to it.

I've found the right size, I think the grand parents are getting them for him. He should be an 18 or 20.
The jacket seems legit. I want him to ride on the XR with me so that will have to happen down the line.

It is a good idea to get him off the training wheels as fast as possible. They cause you to create bad habits that are hard to break once you remove them. This was not much of an issue with Daniel as he didn't spend much time with them on the bike. However, my daughters spent more time with them and it screwed with their heads when it came to steering and leaning the bike. Basically, it makes them lean to the inside instead of staying on top of the bike during a turn. Also, it screws with the counter steering. So it took the girls a bit longer to make the switch to no training wheels.

It is a good idea to get him off the training wheels as fast as possible. They cause you to create bad habits that are hard to break once you remove them. This was not much of an issue with Daniel as he didn't spend much time with them on the bike. However, my daughters spent more time with them and it screwed with their heads when it came to steering and leaning the bike. Basically, it makes them lean to the inside instead of staying on top of the bike during a turn. Also, it screws with the counter steering. So it took the girls a bit longer to make the switch to no training wheels.
Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of

I found it VERY helpful to stand where the girls could see me or hear me and I was constantly telling them to LOOK UP or motioning with my hand at my eyes and flipping it up. Their natural tendency was to look right in front of the bike and they were wobbly. Once they finally started keeping their eyes up and looking out further, they got MUCH smoother!

Another thing, if you can afford it, get a communicator system. I cannot stress how helpful this is. I did not have one when I was teaching my kids to ride (early on). I did get one later for use when they were riding with me on my bike and/or if we were riding dirt bikes together. I have since used it to coach two young kids learning to ride for the first time and it is a HUGE help. When you see them forgetting something like hitting the brake or not letting off the gas, you can give them short commands and I find they respond well. Usually just one word, maybe two, will refocus their attention and let them recover quickly from a mistake, avoiding worse problems.

I found it VERY helpful to stand where the girls could see me or hear me and I was constantly telling them to LOOK UP or motioning with my hand at my eyes and flipping it up. Their natural tendency was to look right in front of the bike and they were wobbly. Once they finally started keeping their eyes up and looking out further, they got MUCH smoother!

Another thing, if you can afford it, get a communicator system. I cannot stress how helpful this is. I did not have one when I was teaching my kids to ride (early on). I did get one later for use when they were riding with me on my bike and/or if we were riding dirt bikes together. I have since used it to coach two young kids learning to ride for the first time and it is a HUGE help. When you see them forgetting something like hitting the brake or not letting off the gas, you can give them short commands and I find they respond well. Usually just one word, maybe two, will refocus their attention and let them recover quickly from a mistake, avoiding worse problems.
Plan on getting coms for me and the wife so a removable one I could swap between helmets would work.

I'm probably going to make him ride the new bicycle for awhile, then throw him back on the pw with no training wheels. Once he gets going I know he will get it down. He is pretty sharp. I guess he gets it from his mother lol.

For my kids the motorcycle was the reward for learning to ride the bicycle without training wheels. Once they could start stop and have basic control on the bicycle the moto came out.

For my kids the motorcycle was the reward for learning to ride the bicycle without training wheels. Once they could start stop and have basic control on the bicycle the moto came out.
That's the exact thing I was planning on doing.

Back