• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "How do I do this in the new forum?" thread

And FYI ... the ignore feature doesn't work anything like the beta version.
The only thing "ignored" is the actual post content.
All other user data is there.

I had hoped ignore was a real "you're dead to me" ignore.
Alas ... no.

There is no difference between what is installed now and the Beta version of the site you were helping me test. So I am not sure what might be going on.

Right now, I am waiting on the TT Support people to contact me. Even if I wanted to, I cannot install TT on the new site right now. I cannot find anyway to change the version of TT installed on www.twtex.com from the vB version of the plugin to the XF version and it won't let me install the XF version since it thinks www.twtex.com still has the vB version running.

It is interesting. I have been reading on numerous forums for forum admins where they discuss issues related to maintaining and running forums. I have yet to see a single admin that likes having TT installed on their site. Virtually every single one of them strongly dislikes TT and wants to do away with it completely. The reasons are much like what I have been describing here, crappy business practices, but also crappy coding practices. At one point, the XF developer team actually came out and strongly recommended that XF admins NOT install TT, not because it might compete with their built in responsive format, but because the TT add on was causing so much trouble with other add-ons and the native XF code.

That said, I will try it. If it starts causing problems, I will nuke it.

Right now though, I simply cannot get ANY response from their support team. Which is not unusual either and is another of the very common complaints by other admins. :roll:

I appreciate all the effort, time and resources you've spent especially through the Christmas holidays.

It is what it is ...

Okay, here's an unusual one I have not sorted out. Using the "New Posts" feature while not logged in I see a post about traffic tickets that desperately needs my valuable observations. ;) Refer to "First ticket on a motorcycle" under on the file with.png. When I log in I see other posts from Off Topic, but not the First ticket on a motorcycle, refer to without.png. Personally I like to publish my thoughts about motorcycles on TWT, but keep my off topic thoughts to myself. :duck:Having been through the settings, I can't see how I can control what forums I ignore and which ones I can see. Seriously, I'm not surprised that I can see off-topic once I am logged in, but I am surprised that Story Telling and Tire Kicking is lost. What am I missing? :giveup: Maybe related to the settings when I was setup to test? (Like the new smilies by the way.)

Attachments

• with.PNG
    with.PNG
    202.3 KB · Views: 269
  • without.PNG
    without.PNG
    254.3 KB · Views: 259
I too fell into the category of using Tackytalk on the old forum simply cuz it was so easy to use...posting....pics...notifications...
However....I also fall into the category of folks who arent interested in paying (no matter how little the $) to NOT see ads that dont usually interest me in the slightest anyway. &...the older TT versions even worked better so upgrades didnt interest me either.

The new improved (NOW WITH 50% MORE) TWT works fine for me without TT thankya

...sorry ..mabe we needta start a TT pref thread instead of here

then there's the click tracking that TT supposedly does on every ad, link, forum, etc. that you click.
oil use.jpg

Last edited:
Because I'm lazy and don't like to have to keep clicking the "next" button on threads, I like to set the posts per page to the maximum. Is that function available in the new forum?

Okay, here's an unusual one I have not sorted out. Using the "New Posts" feature while not logged in I see a post about traffic tickets that desperately needs my valuable observations. ;) Refer to "First ticket on a motorcycle" under on the file with.png. When I log in I see other posts from Off Topic, but not the First ticket on a motorcycle, refer to without.png. Personally I like to publish my thoughts about motorcycles on TWT, but keep my off topic thoughts to myself. :duck:Having been through the settings, I can't see how I can control what forums I ignore and which ones I can see. Seriously, I'm not surprised that I can see off-topic once I am logged in, but I am surprised that Story Telling and Tire Kicking is lost. What am I missing? :giveup: Maybe related to the settings when I was setup to test? (Like the new smilies by the way.)

If you are not logged in, the New Posts is essentially meaningless. I don't know why it bothers to show some as read or unread.

The Off-Topic forum is hidden from unregistered/unlogged users.

What do you mean by "Story Telling and Tire Kicking is lost"? Are you saying that forum completely goes away or it's just not showing up on the New Posts list? If there is nothing new for YOU in the Story Telling forum, then when you hit the New Posts, you won't see anything from that forum listed.

None of the smilies are new. We had ALL of the exact same ones on the old forum.

Because I'm lazy and don't like to have to keep clicking the "next" button on threads, I like to set the posts per page to the maximum. Is that function available in the new forum?

It is already set to 50 posts per page. Unless you are reading a long thread from the very beginning or there have been a LOT of new posts since your last visit, it is unlikely that you'd ever need to see more than that at one time.

It is already set to 50 posts per page. Unless you are reading a long thread from the very beginning or there have been a LOT of new posts since your last visit, it is unlikely that you'd ever need to see more than that at one time.

Hmmm. I'm only getting 20 per page. For instance, the post I'm replying to is #58 and is on the 3rd page. No big deal, I like the new format anyway.

Hmmm. I'm only getting 20 per page. For instance, the post I'm replying to is #58 and is on the 3rd page. No big deal, I like the new format anyway.

How about now? :-P

I had the THREADS per page set at 50... :oops:

Now both are set at 50 ;-)

If you are not logged in, the New Posts is essentially meaningless. I don't know why it bothers to show some as read or unread.

The Off-Topic forum is hidden from unregistered/unlogged users.

What do you mean by "Story Telling and Tire Kicking is lost"? Are you saying that forum completely goes away or it's just not showing up on the New Posts list? If there is nothing new for YOU in the Story Telling forum, then when you hit the New Posts, you won't see anything from that forum listed.

None of the smilies are new. We had ALL of the exact same ones on the old forum.

It's just being deleted from my new posts then. I understand. And I like the way the smilies are made available over the old forum.

Everything on the front side seems to be running pretty smoothly for me thus far. Sorry I haven't had more time help with the private testing, Scott. Just trying to get used to the new geography of the forum right now. I think it'll be much better than the old system once everything is tweaked and polished. Good job, sir.

How do I log in from my computer? I keep getting a “forbidden” message.

I get the same message on my shop computer using Chrome.
If I use IE, no message.

I use Chrome in my office and don;t get the message.

I figure it's something to do with cookies.
But I have multiple sites that I really don't want to screw up just to log on here.

That is interesting. I got an email from Cheez this afternoon and he is having the same issue, but it is specific to his laptop. It has to be some kind of cookie issue on the user end. I am able to access the site with FireFox, Chrome, Safari, and Internet Exploder with no problems.

All I can think of is that you need to remove ALL cookies that might be twtex.com or www.twtex.com. Also, if you have messed around with your /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file where you can override IP dns info for particular domains, you might need to check to see you don't have an entry pointing to TWT's old IP (74.117.210.243). You might also try closing the browser, running CMD in the Start Menu, running ipconfig /flushdns, and then restarting the browser.

You might also want to ping www.twtex.com to make sure it is resolving to 192.232.203.64. which is the site's IP Address. IF you get a different address, then something is off with how your computer is resolving domain names.

This feature I did not see before so guessing you are trying it out, only one other forum I use (RV's) has this. It is a pain for me but maybe enough others benefit. When I highlight text it gives me the option to Quote or Reply IIRC.

This gets in the way of the text below, I highlight for various reasons, one to know what I just read on longer post, if I need to go research and come back to where I left off, if I have to do something and comeback to it. I highlight text all the time as I have many things going at once. If the Quote/Reply went above so it covers what I already read it would be much better.

This feature I did not see before so guessing you are trying it out, only one other forum I use (RV's) has this. It is a pain for me but maybe enough others benefit. When I highlight text it gives me the option to Quote or Reply IIRC.

This gets in the way of the text below, I highlight for various reasons, one to know what I just read on longer post, if I need to go research and come back to where I left off, if I have to do something and comeback to it. I highlight text all the time as I have many things going at once. If the Quote/Reply went above so it covers what I already read it would be much better.

Hmmmm.... I don't recall seeing any kind of option for that one, but I can definitely see your point :ponder: That might take an add-on to accomplish as I suspect that there is no way to do it in the native forum software. I'll have to do some poking around. Thanks for the heads up.

I get the same message on my shop computer using Chrome.
If I use IE, no message.

And surprisingly enough I can get logged in on Chrome but not Safari. Tapatalk works as well. Not sure why I can't get in with Safari...it's the latest version. Weird.

How do privileges work? I’d like to give something away in Paying it Forward but have insufficient privileges to post there.

And surprisingly enough I can get logged in on Chrome but not Safari. Tapatalk works as well. Not sure why I can't get in with Safari...it's the latest version. Weird.

Hmmm... so far you are the only one to mention a problem with Safari. The others that have had issues were all using Chrome.

How do privileges work? I’d like to give something away in Paying it Forward but have insufficient privileges to post there.

That was a brain fart by me LATE last night (or early this morning I guess). I accidentally set a permission for the whole General section instead of just the FAQ forum. I clicked on the wrong forum title :doh: Anyway, it should be fixed now. Sorry about that. :oops:

Back