• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GSL Ranch December 2018

bwdmax

Wylie E.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Turner
My son has been after me to take him riding for awhile and hectic schedules have been making it difficult. I recently got him a 2007 KTM 525 and have been fixing a few things and getting it ready to ride. He also has a friend that just started riding a little less than a month ago. He started in my front yard on a CRF150F that I keep for such things.
608FAA97-6A43-4008-AC79-BDCC2F183B7B.jpeg

So a quick 2 weeks later he shows up with cash insisting that I sell him a WR250R that I have. In the meantime he has bought helmet, boots and pads. He spent the last 2 weekends riding on some family pasture. I was looking for a place for him to cut his teeth so to speak and GSL looked to be a good fit.
We get loaded Friday evening so we can pull out early for a 2.5-3 hour drive. Not much local riding for us.
6854B67F-4304-42DF-933B-65E166EBC4E2.jpeg

So we get an early start and we make pretty good time with a stop for tacos and coffee for the old guy. The gps leads me to a gate that reads “Private K bar D Ranch”
6778C015-7FC1-48AD-BEFD-B5B570C870A2.jpeg

So after I go down the road a piece and talk to nice gentleman he informs me that it was indeed the correct gate. Seem K-D owns this little piece and GSL has easement rights and K-D is not so thrilled so he won’t let GSL put a sign up at the road. So we open the gate and go on in to find the second gate with GSL sign. I follow the road for a ways and finally find the “Honor Box” where you leave your $10 per rider and sign the release of liability. There is a hand sketch map on the back of the release that is a little vague to say the least, but what the heck I can find a trail. There are a few others there that are camping. Camping is primitive but no extra charge.
DD2CC6AB-6414-4B90-9126-B1FF76F164EB.jpeg

We unload and gear up and start exploring the trails. The noob is doing pretty good handling the main trail. We get to a creek crossing with some rocks and I stop and give him a little coaching. I cross and look back and he floats right through. Colton is doing good too with throttle control on his new to him bike with lots more power than anything he has been riding. We come up to a drop into the creek with two choices a long fairly step decent or one not as steep but with a turn midway down. We chat for a second and go for not so steep and everyone makes it no problem. We wind through the cedar trees and the noob finds out what happens when you get back to the throttle to quick when it’s slippery. I had tools in my tail bag to put his bars and hand guards back in place. He is wearing jeans but had knee guards underneath. His knee found a sharp rock, but no harm the guards did their job.
B0868C36-468D-4293-8DE5-BD141ECE12E0.jpeg

Well we went down so we have to go back up.
3FEF819D-1C21-4250-86E3-FA179AD56574.jpeg

As usual the camera doesn’t do justice to elevation changes. We find a few more hills to play on.
C92EAF3A-FA85-4026-A7D2-CAFFD8DEDC2A.jpeg

This place has tons of rock and is a great place to practice for that type of stuff from smooth stones in the creek mixed with babyheads to large irregular shaped rock fields.
49CE8C08-7D9C-4D52-9551-AF51AC52286E.jpeg

E4EBD0A6-302C-48D6-A32B-E73B59254675.jpeg

CA6A89BF-E249-45BF-855F-4EC4FCF24631.jpeg

6F2267D8-BCE1-4C75-969F-7B7CAEB1CA9D.jpeg

So all in all it was a good day. This place has a bit of everything from some MX jumps to some easy trails even a wide open hay field to rip in or jump a few terraces. Then if you want to challenge yourself or work on a skill feel free to bushwhack a new trail or hop a rock or two. I realized on the way out that we missed a whole section that I was unsure of. I will return to investigate that.

Last edited:
Thanks for picture and reason for no sign.Definitely not obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice thanks for the report. Those slopes are tough. I had a couple of spills trying to mountain goat my wee strom out of those creeks.

Gary, let me know next time yall want a spot to ride.
I dont have much in the way of elevation, but it's free and much closer.

Rule #62.
Don't take yourself so serious.

thanks for the pic and explanation of the gate, this is close enough to me i will definitely be taking the DR six fiddy out there for some off road time.

Gary, let me know next time yall want a spot to ride.
I dont have much in the way of elevation, but it's free and much closer.

Rule #62.
Don't take yourself so serious.
Yeah we will come out sometime and burn in a trail or two.

Nice thanks for the report. Those slopes are tough. I had a couple of spills trying to mountain goat my wee strom out of those creeks.

I bet you got a chance to test the skid plate too.

The image of the KTM coming up the hill definitely does NOT do it justice. That is a steep-*** climb. Bravo for that rider.

1546483500044.png

I have not attempted it on a bike, but did it in a Polaris RZR and it felt like we were getting ready for a moon launch. I can see how far forward the rider is leaning to put weight on the front of the bike. Going down that thing would cause quite the pucker too!

Good write up and thanks for the pics. I think the place is great for the price and what it is. Glad you had a good safe time.

AJ

Anyone up for a GSL ride 4/16-4/18.I just need guild I haven’t ridden there before .
Thanks
Jack Henry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone up for a GSL ride 4/16-4/18.I just need guild I haven’t ridden there before .
Thanks
Jack Henry

Man I wish I could join you. Work and a broken fibula prevents it. You really won't need a guide. Everything eventually comes back to the main trail or road. Have a great time. I don't know how much, if any, rain they got Saturday. It could make the creek bottom interesting.

I have no idea where the GSL Ranch is but I am very very interested in a ride there. I can ride any day with a Y and because it is probably a good drive for me a multi-day ride would be ideal. Just need a little notice. Before the heat arrives will also be a plus. Riding with the famous J Henry would be a hoot too!

One more thing, bwdmax, MAKE time to ride with your son. Period. I know how life gets busy but time slips away before you know it. I would have to use both hands to count the friends, clients, etc who no longer have their son/daughter to enjoy life with. Good luck!

GSL Ranch is on Edge Falls road.No sign.I passed it four times before I guessed it was right gate.The Guy who owns that gate refuses to let GSL post a sign as he has to give them a sign but has to give them right of way.Im waiting on RV repairman to fix my frig but if you’ll leave no I’ll stay in touch.

just look for the address 517 on the black mailbox across from the gate pictured above. ( i rode right past it as well)

TMI I’m just a few miles from GSL here in Bulverde,and that’s not enough riding for more than an afternoon.Not sure your location but I’m going to try it tomorrow.

OK, thanks. That is a little too far for limited riding. Will try to make it next time we visit friends in Kerrville.

Back