• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Handy tool thread

I made a hole for the lock.
Duct tape leaves a residue and the stickem gets on the tube.
I'm afraid long term, it might cause tube problems.

Mitch I have what you need, sir, I might even donate one of them to to you, or better yet, let's build a few!

First up, the K&L tire spreader, this is the go to tool when I need to put a hand in a tire.

IMG_0068.jpg

I also have this Pit Posse bead bender which, I will let you use to your heart's content.

IMG_00711.jpg

IMG_00721.jpg

i have a Pit Posse stem puller, actually 2 of them

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

But I prefer this one, never had an issue with it yet, very sturdy

IMG_0063.jpg

For exhaust springs, center stand springs, etc. The KTM spring tool is the best I have ever had, bar none.

IMG_0074.jpg

Finally, if you like clean surfaces without damage, this Motion Pro gasket scraper is the bee's knees

IMG_0062.jpg

More to come....

I have that tire spreader as well. I use it at home, but don’t pack it on the bike because of its size. Works well though. If I use the stem puller, I rarely need the spreader.

This is over 40 years old. I used it in the Seventies to attach exhaust pipes to cylinder heads. Now I use it (like today) any time I need to pull something I cannot reach.
2C317A7D-ADCA-496C-BAC9-5475B38BFC7F.jpeg

I've had the same one for years. Not sure why they would break? The cable on my isn't frayed or anything.

+1
Very strong and not expensive either. I've used mine multiple times for installing new valve stems on tubeless wheels also.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/18288/Tusk-Valve-Stem-Puller

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I'm just lucky I guess. I've had a couple of them break. I think they broke where the wire goes into the T handle.

Not sure I understand this but interested. Would you have a picture to illustrate?
Im not sure what you mean. Picture please

No trying to read the invisible lines. Just put in the block as a gauge, push the tire forward, tighten the axle, set the adjusters and finish tightening down the axle.

Attachments

• 20190113_072113.jpg
    20190113_072113.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 151
What am I missing on the valve stem tool? Is it just so you don't have to push the valve stem through the hole by putting your hand between the bead and the rim? Maybe I have small hands, but this has never been even remotely hard for me on a dirt bike tire.

What am I missing on the valve stem tool? Is it just so you don't have to push the valve stem through the hole by putting your hand between the bead and the rim? Maybe I have small hands, but this has never been even remotely hard for me on a dirt bike tire.

I find it particularly handy for Tubeless tires when I put them on the SM. It is also handy if you have the urge to rotate the tube at some point so you don't have to fish around for it. Doable without, easier with. I have a hard time getting my hands inside some of the dirt tires, so this and a tire spreader are pretty handy.

I find it particularly handy for Tubeless tires when I put them on the SM. It is also handy if you have the urge to rotate the tube at some point so you don't have to fish around for it. Doable without, easier with. I have a hard time getting my hands inside some of the dirt tires, so this and a tire spreader are pretty handy.
I can definitely see the value for tubeless or supermoto tires as they are so much stiffer.

I was thinking of a normal 19 or 21 inch dirt bike tire.

On the front tire in particular, it can be a pain to get my hand in there to get the valve stem through the hole. I can do it, it's just not fun. The little stem puller makes it quick and easy. It basically just guides the stem right into and through the hole in the rim effortlessly and on the first try. So it is a convenience item more than a necessity. But in my view, some of the best tools are those which make a task super easy.

You put a block on both sides then snug axel and fine adjust chain then tighten axel?

I use the block to adjust the axle and the adjuster is just there to keep the axle from moving forward under load from the chain. That way I don't have to look at one side, check the chain tension, adjust the other side, check the other side again. Sometimes when I change the chain and sprockets I'll double check everything with a chain alignment tool and make sure the block still fits. After that anytime the wheel comes off, I use the block to align it again.

And I'm not changing a tube type tire without a valve stem tool.

I've changed more than a few tires in my riding days, probably just as many for others as I have for myself, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't much care to do it. I've been considering trying a bib-mousse on my dirt bike and ran across the Rabaconda tire changer. I figured if it'll make changing tires a little more pleasant, I'd buy one, with the justification that it'll make installing a bib-mousse easier. I shopped around and found one that included their tire irons as a package deal and ordered it. I tried it out today on just a regular tire change out and I will say it makes it a lot easier...

1547589237136.png

1547589284580.png

Also pretty fond of my Parnes tire balancer.

1547589366957.png

I've changed more than a few tires in my riding days, probably just as many for others as I have for myself, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't much care to do it. I've been considering trying a bib-mousse on my dirt bike and ran across the Rabaconda tire changer. I figured if it'll make changing tires a little more pleasant, I'd buy one, with the justification that it'll make installing a bib-mousse easier. I shopped around and found one that included their tire irons as a package deal and ordered it. I tried it out today on just a regular tire change out and I will say it makes it a lot easier...

View attachment 49167

View attachment 49168

Also pretty fond of my Parnes tire balancer.

View attachment 49169
Cheating!

Nice tire changer, I do have a tire machine, but someone really thought that one out well.

Speaking of spring pullers, two things that are always in my tool kit are (1) a pair of lock pliers and (2) a nail with a bent end.

Lock pliers have multiple uses, including being a decent hammer and pulling a tent peg back out of hard ground. I once loaned my pliers to a buddy who clamped them on & used them as a makeshift gear shifter after he had an oopsie on some gravel and broke the shifter off his Buell.

The bent nail also has multiple uses, not the least is which, when clamped into the lock pliers, it makes a great spring puller. Ditto popping those annoying clamps off of air cleaner boxes on most modern cars.

If you're a camping trailer person and find yourself occasionally filling your water tank by hand, you've experienced the joy of lifting a 20-liter water bag to tummy height and holding it steady while pouring 40 pounds of water. I invented a tool - essentially, it's a 12" piece of broomstick with a cup hook screwed into the end. The cup hook goes into the eyelet on the bottom of the water bottle, and the stick gives you leverage to hold the bottle up and steady while pouring water into your tank. Oh, or you can use the lock pliers with the bent nail to do the same thing.

Ever had a person in a wheelchair in your house, and the chair won't fit through certain doors? A piece of broomstick with a hook in each end can be used to connect between the two sides of the chair frame, and "hold" it just skinny enough that the chair will pass through a bathroom door. I used that extensively when my dad was still alive and living with me.

Teflon tape is great for wrapping certain pipe threads to stop minor leaks. It's also great for wrapping around the threads of the whammy bar on a Fender Stratocaster guitar, so that the bar will stay in exactly the position you want it. It'll probably work on Jazzmasters and Jaguars too, but not on Gibsons, Gretsches, or Guilds.

Back