• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

Reaction score
I have been in contact with friends in Cali, Arkansas, Arizona and Idaho and they ALL say the public lands are OPEN for riding. What is the current status of the Sam H?

Too wet right now.... will be open once it drys up.
Probably still too wet as you say, my thoughts, with shutdown, when it dries out will the furloughed employ come out and open the gates for riders that he doesn't care for anyway?

Is the Sam H crew affiliated with the Lufkin crew that hated us in the Angelina? I know they are all NF but are they under the same immediate supervision?

Is the Sam H crew affiliated with the Lufkin crew that hated us in the Angelina? I know they are all NF but are they under the same immediate supervision?
Sort of at the minimum, our forest is serviced from that crew. Where the main decision maker is at I don't know.

Someone posted in a forum a few years ago there was a lady at the Angelia office that supervised the SHNF trials, but was supposed to be moving to another position or leaving the Forest Service.

I remember her but can't think of the name at the moment. Catherine possibly? Spoke out of both sides of her mouth.

Sounds right from what the posting said.

On the Old Dudes on dirt bike site, someone asked when the forest would open, I said June......2020. They didn't think it was funny, lol. I removed it.

Lol, I hear that old somg, “In the year 2525” playing in the background.

Question must not have set well, all discussion gone now!

Looking to ride in the Sam Houston NF with my Versys-X 300 dual sport. I haven't ridden those trails yet and live in Humble, TX. I did goto the 4x4 Extreme Place in Crosby, and I had fun but couldn't ride half of it for all the water pit everywhere. I am not looking to go mudding, and for one thing, I have the factory tires which are more 60/40 style tires without knobs more for street but do well on dry dirt. Drop me a line if ya'll wanna meet up somewhere, if you know any place thats not going to be a mud pit.

On the Old Dudes on dirt bike site, someone asked when the forest would open, I said June......2020. They didn't think it was funny, lol. I removed it.

The way things are headed more likely that is the date the forest will be permanently closed to OHV. And normally I'm an optimistic person.

_

The way things are headed more likely that is the date the forest will be permanently closed to OHV. And normally I'm an optimistic person.

_
Definitely outside chance, but hope you're wrong!

Lack of organized opposition and legal help to fight this crap is our issue. In other states riders groups have excellent NF riding opportunities and do not let OUR prejudiced EMPLOYEES dictate their right to ride. The groups I see sucking up to the gestapo types thinking they will gain "permission" to ride gives me indigestion. I very very much appreciate everyones effort to open the trails but I strongly feel much of the effort is misdirected or just plain wasted. What some of us endured in the Angelina has soured me greatly, sad and disgusting to see this same scenario unfolding in the SH. The appeasement approach does not work folks. Period!

When I called, and this was 2 years ago to talk to someone about the OHV trails. The woman asked me if my bike was street legal or not, and I said YES. She said just come on and ride on whatever you want, that you don't need a sticker or anything unless its NOT street legal. Can't you just go out there regardless and start riding. I mean, its probably muddy right now, but what I have seen of the National Forest is there are roads running in all directions and I don't see any gates. However, I am talking about the Cleveland side off 59, and that appears to be all hunting vehicles and traffic.

The multiuse trailheads are gated and closed right now. I have no authority to tell you not jump on a trail from a dirt road . the roads are open of course. People do it, since the road crossings don't say closed. I don't risk it.

Where could I find a map of the Lufkin Dual Sport trails?
Really not sure what you're asking for. There is no dual sport trails per se. Lot of forest roads in Davy Crockett and SHNF. Davy Crockett has no trails, about 80 miles of marked horse paths that I'mm aware of. SHNF has the multi use trail system that we're discussing here.

Lot of forest roads in Davy Crockett and SHNF. Davy Crockett has no trails, about 80 miles of marked horse paths that I'm aware of. SHNF has the multi use trail system that we're discussing here.

I have trouble differentiating the different types of roads as well when just reading about them here. The forest roads are not the trails, I guess? I guess the forest roads stay open when the trails close?

Can motorcycles go on the horse paths in Davy Crockett? I assume not, but just checking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back