• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bikes you've sold and HAVE NOT regretted...

Back in the early eighties I bought a "close out"
1982 DOHC CB750F from NW Honda in SA. It
looked good but my brother smoked me out in
BIG BEND on a GPZ550. GPZ was not slow, CB
was. I just had the 750F on a pedestal. KZ's
knocked it off.... Never owned a SOHC 750 but
would love to have red just to look at. It was it!!

3 of them!
1-My first bike in high school, 1967 Honda 305 Dream, my dad thought it looked "safe". More like a Shriners bike, traded it in on a Super Hawk! More like it!
2-74? Honda 500 4 cylinder bike, a toad and UGLY.
3-84 CR500 0r 480, can't remember but a sorry bike

PS,I did and still do like Honda's tho!

2003 KX65

I picked it up to bulid a supermoto mini.

I rode it 2 times and that little green monster almost killed me.

The guy I bought it from warned me "eveyone who has ridden that has crashed".

I sent it packing without ever looking back.

Triumph Bonneville (the original one). Had to "Tickle" the carbs to get it to start when it was cold. I'll never own another motorcycle that keeps my finger smelling like gasoline. Don't have many pleasant memories about my 68 Maico 250 either.

Oh yeah, I forgot about my 125cc Montgomery Wards Riverside. I traded it and a 500 BSA for the 250 Maico. The price was a 500 BSA too much.

Oddly enough, I loved my Intruder LC/VL1500. It started every time and had tons of torque. Fuel mileage really stunk (38mpg average) but it's greatest shortcoming was me.
I have a lower back issue and the forward controls really took a toll on my back.
It is for that reason alone that I don't miss it.

DSCN0425.jpg

I don't think I regret selling any of my bikes, usually because I was replacing them with something newer. I still have fond memories of them, but I don't really wish I had any of them back, with the possible exception of the 98 VFR 800.

blueVFR1.jpg

That bike had a full Two Bros exhaust system with Titanium canister and stainless headers. It had a custom tuned Power Commander II fuel injection tweaker installed. It had heated hand grips. It had a Sargent seat. It had the raised Helibars so it was a more upright riding position. It ran fantastic when I sold it, smooth like silk even with 60K miles on it. The sound from the V4 howling through the pipe when I was in fun mode was intoxicating. This was my first "real" bike after my 92 Nighthawk 750. The difference in performance on all levels was amazing. This was the bike that rewarded SMOOTH riding and taught me how to be a smooth rider on the street. Even if I still had it, I probably would not ride it anywhere near as much as I did when I had it. I averaged about 20-25K miles per year on it and went through tires at an alarming rate. Now, I might put a few thousand a year on it, but it sure would be fun doing it :rider:

When we were selling it, my wife and I rode home two up from a bike night. When we got home, we both remarked that we really ought to just keep it. We went inside and there was a message on our answering machine from the guy that had been talking to us about buying it. He had agreed to our terms. At that point, I just didn't feel right about backing out of the deal, so we ended up selling it to him. I think we both regretted letting this one go even though I had a 2001 VFR 800 sitting in the garage next to it. That was almost 15 years ago. Seems like yesterday :zen:

I didn't regret selling the KLR. We just never bonded. I bought it to start dual sport riding, and I'd have been better off buying a 250 or something. Even on the road, I just wasn't terribly comfortable on it. It was a good bike to run around the neighborhood and run errands on, but for me that was about it.

Selling it was an experience too, but that's another story.

Most of them ...

I typically don't get emotionally attached to a bike or auto ... they're just nuts and bolts.
And I tend to get bored with a bike relatively quick.

However, the big KTM is a bike I've owned the longest and put the most miles on.
And it still takes my breath on occasion

I didn't regret selling the KLR. We just never bonded. I bought it to start dual sport riding, and I'd have been better off buying a 250 or something. Even on the road, I just wasn't terribly comfortable on it. It was a good bike to run around the neighborhood and run errands on, but for me that was about it.

I feel the same way. I liked putting around town on it fine. But on the highway or especially in the dirt, just never felt right to me.

I do miss the CRF250L a little bit though. Not really the bike itself, but having a bike that size. Something easy to throw in the back of the truck. And it was a funner putt around bike than the KLR and was a lot more fun on a single track.

I don't really wish I had any of them back, with the possible exception of the 98 VFR 800.
I'm pretty smitten with my VFR1200X right now. Just discovered yesterday that it will lift the front wheel pretty much on command :mrgreen:

My Africa Twin is collecting dust unfortunately. Starting to wonder about its future a bit :ponder:

I'm pretty smitten with my VFR1200X right now. Just discovered yesterday that it will lift the front wheel pretty much on command :mrgreen:

My Africa Twin is collecting dust unfortunately. Starting to wonder about its future a bit :ponder:

You should look into renting/leasing as quickly as your favorite flavor changes :-P

I don't regret selling the S10, just wasn't a fit for me. Sold my Goldwing that I bought new in 02 but it's still In my garage awaiting the new owner to pick up this spring. Enjoyed ever one of the 90k miles we put on her but got to the point of being a dust collector. Not gonna miss her all that much either.

My 75 TL250 was a pretty good ole bike , sucked as a trials bike but sure plonked around good and I didnt even sell it , I gave it away in good running order . Sorta regret that one . Every other honda that came into my life was a disappointment . And I sold a couple big bikes for scrap price cause I was sick of seeing them around here .

My 2003 Kawasaki voyager xii, just never clicked with it, okay bike, but just no fun factor!

This... I traded for it reluctantly...but man...it sold quick.
I hated riding it...but dam...it looked good for a cruiser
b67c078b654af5968c92378da3b57d9d.jpg

ed2c1aec83e6be227b62391d7ce6f2cb.jpg

& this is what I traded for the Drifter....
I couldnt seemta give it away until the Drifer swap came up
I never bonded with the Bandit...but thought it looked the bomb
1c2b02274026df0b89286eda1cf0407e.jpg
d4fa71df65766ba95a3aae4c88138712.jpg

Cool drifter. I checked one out once...

2001 Honda ace 1100. It was kind of a pity purchase. Just too cramped and doggy.

HD sportster, I forget the year.

I love to look at cruisers. I hate to ride them. The body position is just not right for me and fatigues me very fast. However, I know folks that love them! So awesome to have to many choices!

Had a 78 CB750/4F back in the early 80's that I always lusted after. When I bought it I was very ignorant about checking out a used bike. Whoever had it before me totally trashed the bike internally. I never stopped working on it and spending money on it and still it was never right. I finally sold it at a huge loss (relatively) and was thrilled to see it go.

You'd think that would've cured me on my 750/4 lust but it hasn't. I have a saved cycletrader search notifying me whenever one comes up for sale. Hopefully the right one never does.

You'd think I'd learn.

Exact replica of the one I had below

[need link to original image - Admin]

Back