• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Push Notifications - Are you using them?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
So the recent upgrade to XF 2.1 introduced push notifications. Unfortunately, they do not work for many iOS based devices.

Unfortunately for reasons beyond our control (read: it's Apple's fault) the list of supported devices/browsers notably exclude Safari on macOS and any iOS-based browser. This functionality is made possible by making use of a number of APIs including the Push API and Notification API which most browsers support already.

Sorry.

For everyone else, you can set your preferences by going here,

Nope, I don't use push notifications from any website. I turn them off on most of my apps too.

Reactions: Vec
What is it supposed to do for me?

What is it supposed to do for me?

If like me you spend a lot of your time sitting in front of a computer, it makes a small graphic appear in the lower corner of the screen. It will tell you that someone replied to a thread, liked one of your posts, etc,... and you can then click it to be taken straight to that content. If you do nothing, the graphic fades and disappears after 3-4 seconds.

So while I might be working, doing something other than viewing the forum, I'll watch them as they appear. IF I see one that is of particular interest, I will click on it. Most of them, I just make a mental note of and then ignore.

Basically, is just another method to alert users of activity on content they are watching.

Some folks love them, some don't care, and some don't like them. Like many things though, if you like them you can use them, if not, just go to the link in my first post and turn them off.

Gotcha ... I abandoned a OS because of the crazy jumping icon at the bottom of the screen.

So no, I won't enable them. As a regular user, very little happens here that requires my immediate attention.

Nope, I don't use push notifications from any website. I turn them off on most of my apps too.

to each his own. not for me, either. I gotta enough noise and people demanding my attention.

I despise any push notifications and turn them off as soon as I can. It is only a partial analogy, but I equate it to trying to have dinner with my children and they look down at their phones every 60 seconds because a text, snapchat, facebook post, etc. is coming through.

Back