• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Moved - Camping Trip now April 5-7

If you will be a few minutes from Canyon, Tx, it would be a felony offense NOT to visit the Panhandle-Plains historical museum on the WTAM campus.

It has been a few years since I was there, but it was by far the most interesting collection of Texas and local history I've ever seen.

Last edited:
If you will be a few minutes from Canyon, Tx, it would be a felony offense NOT to visit the Panhandle-Plains historical museum on the WTAM campus.

It has been a few years since I was there, but it was by far the most interesting collection of Texas and local history I've ever seen.

Interdasting. I’ll look into that.

Getting better & better!

Hope there's trees to hang the hammock!! Would prefer not to bring the tarp or tent.

See if they have those covered picnic table shelters. I have hung in many shelters like that.

You could get fancy and not need trees

1d4f73f9819d4da5ec9f3e382e50e43a.jpg

West ... is there anything west of Graham within 800 miles?
West? I’ve been thinking of a ride through the Gila wilderness. Spent many seasons hunting there and endless dirt roads with no camping fees or permits needed. All BLM land. Beautiful country.

West? I’ve been thinking of a ride through the Gila wilderness. Spent many seasons hunting there and endless dirt roads with no camping fees or permits needed. All BLM land. Beautiful country.

I love the Gila forest after April or May

Sounds interesting enough for me to toss my hat in the ring. I'll just need some place to toss my tent. I'll PM you my name and cell # so you can send me directions.

Back in 2001 & before I got into motorcycling, I did a 5-day solo backpacking trip in the Gila & you're right, it's really something out there. One of these days, I'll get back out there but on the bike. :)

I'm in for a Gila area ride sometime. Rode pavement from Alpine down to , I think Virginia City a couple years ago on a nice spring day and what a nice ride it was. Always wanted to go back and tie it into a devils hwy run while in the area. Ok, I'll watch this post. I don't have the right tires (or enough left on my rear) for a gravel road weekend but would love to camp out if this ride ends up more pavement oriented.

I'm in for a Gila area ride sometime. Rode pavement from Alpine down to , I think Virginia City a couple years ago on a nice spring day and what a nice ride it was. Always wanted to go back and tie it into a devils hwy run while in the area. Ok, I'll watch this post. I don't have the right tires (or enough left on my rear) for a gravel road weekend but would love to camp out if this ride ends up more pavement oriented.

You can always bypass the gravel and meet us at the campsites.

I’ll keep an eye on this, may be trading my sprint for something more off-road friendly here soon...

Gonna go look for a rear tire today. That's a start towards a commitment :-) I hate tire shopping even more than clothes shopping. Torn between newer tourance "Next" and the anakee 3 or the new anakee adventure they are slapping on as OEM on the new BMWs. The current anakee 3 rear is toast at 8K miles. I used to always get 10K out of a rear tourance, 12K from a front in the old days of hard-rubber, H rated tires. And H's were fine cause my bike only goes 123-126mph on a good touring day with the bags on.

I have commitment issues. I might tag along or I might not.

If I do, I’ll meet up at the camp sites. If y’all don’t make reservations at Palo Duro Canyon early, then you’ll be SOL. Fills up fast on weekends.

Whoever said something about the historical museum in Canyon was spot on.

Friend of mine told me about a several-mile trail that goes through an abandoned train tunnel near Caprock Canyon, complete with bats and cobwebs (and maybe goblins and hobbits [emoji12]). Rode his bicycle through it. Not sure if motorized bikes are allowed but rules are mere guidance for @misterk [emoji38]. I dare you to take it.

I have commitment issues. I might tag along or I might not.

If I do, I’ll meet up at the camp sites. If y’all don’t make reservations at Palo Duro Canyon early, then you’ll be SOL. Fills up fast on weekends.

Whoever said something about the historical museum in Canyon was spot on.

Friend of mine told me about a several-mile trail that goes through an abandoned train tunnel near Caprock Canyon, complete with bats and cobwebs (and maybe goblins and hobbits [emoji12]). Rode his bicycle through it. Not sure if motorized bikes are allowed but rules are mere guidance for @misterk [emoji38]. I dare you to take it.

Lol, I don’t do bats or cobwebs [emoji85]

Bonus points for carrying a bicycle to ride through the tunnel.

Just camped a few days at Lake Mineral Wells. Rode the bike out there and then hiked a bit with my pack to the primitive sites. Was perfect weather. I definitely recommend it.

But Spring Break weekend? Yeah, I dunno...

Just camped a few days at Lake Mineral Wells. Rode the bike out there and then hiked a bit with my pack to the primitive sites. Was perfect weather. I definitely recommend it.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Nobody goes to the panhandle over spring break lol [emoji23]

If Palo Duro is full, we can camp at the black kettle national grasslands, lake Mcclellan or lake Marvin by Canadian. I prefer lake Marvin.

Hey Gang, been off the site for a bit, Life just seems to get in the way at times. I'll toss my hat in for a Highly likely to make it on Friday. Well as long as some of you big bike riders don't mind my little tractor KLR trying to keep up.

Hey Gang, been off the site for a bit, Life just seems to get in the way at times. I'll toss my hat in for a Highly likely to make it on Friday. Well as long as some of you big bike riders don't mind my little tractor KLR trying to keep up.

Gordo you will pass all of us on the dirt roads [emoji41]

Back