• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FREE digital multimeter at Harbor Freight!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Daniel called me at work today. He was looking through a flyer that came in the mail. What got his attention was a heat gun for $9 and a free multimeter. He and Beth were in town so they went by and grabbed both for me.

I’ve already used the heat gun and it works great. Not sure why the meter was free, but whatever :shrug: It works.

Daniel called me at work today. He was looking through a flyer that came in the mail. What got his attention was a heat gun for $9 and a free multimeter. He and Beth were in town so they went by and grabbed both for me.View attachment 229002

View attachment 229003

I’ve already used the heat gun and it works great. Not sure why the meter was free, but whatever :shrug: It works.
I've owned one of those heat guns for atleast 4 years, still works fine.

My dad gets the multimeters all the time, he has like 10 of them

I should have put something in the pic of the meter for scale. It is about the size of my iphone 6 (not the big version). It would be easy to carry on a bike.

I'd be curious to see how the multimeter works. I've got a coupon for one as well and wondered if it'd be worth picking one up for my saddlebag tool kit.

Just used my heat gun for shrink tubing on bike wiring moving turn signals. Think Shrink.( srink in Texanese) I can't believe spell ceck told me it had an "h" in it.

Probly have 7or8 of the multimeaters waiting to be opened up and a couple on my desk and one in every vehicle including the bikes . A cheap piece of crap but when you think your bike battery is weak you know in seconds , no guess work . When the battery in the meter gets weak enough that it won’t read I toss it and get a new one .

I never had a heat gun , I got torches to make all the heat I want . One year at Uncles his DR 350 wasn’t running right so we pulled the carb , at some point somebody had been working on it and the airfilter boot had been improperly installed and was letting a bit of dirt in that had clogged a air port in the intake horn , after curing the performance problum I started trying to reshape the boot to fit correctly , being cold rubber no way could I make things fit right . Roger said “ I got a heat gun , try that “ we warmed up the rubber fit it to the carb and clamped it and let it cool and everything fit perfect . Next day after I came home I went to hf and bought a heat gun . It gets much more use than I thought it would , specially in rebuilding hydraulics . Cylinder seals were always a bit of a pain to install , not any more , a little heat softens them up till they pop right in . I keep extras on the shelf with hf tools , when one craps out I open a new one just like the multi meters , a replacement battery cost more than a new tool .

I had one of those free meters. Looked like it would work ok except when I plugged in the probes, the unsupported sockets tore right off the PCB. Probably a bit of user error too, but despite being somewhat disappointed, I was not surprised.

Well, the meter just paid for itself today :-P

My PIAA lights on the GS were not coming on. Daniel and I used the meter to track the problem back to the relay. It is not your normal looking relay.

Fortunately, I started reading the comments below and saw that some people popped the case open and were able to just replace an internal fuse. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to pop it open, but sure enough, the 30A fuse was blown. Fortunately, I had a few in the garage and was able to replace it, then verify the voltages everywhere and get the lights working. I think a loose spade connection on one of the lights touched the other connection and shorted. I made sure that cannot happen again. Everything is buttoned back up and good to go now.

I've had a bunch of those meters. They usually break, which makes them tough to rely on in a tool bag.

The heat gun though is great. I've used mine for years and lots of heat shrink....

My hf multi meter rides in those useless side pockets on my tank bag , been there since the bike was new in 04 , I check the battery in it regularly and replace the meter when it’s battery time . I've used some well over 5 years , usally the leads fail or batteries fail , I save any good leads and open a new meter when the battery fails .

This meter probably won't go on a bike with me. I have another one that is very robust and sits in a hard case that protects it. It's small and works great now that I replaced the battery. I've had it forever and it has seen some pretty hard conditions.

Back