• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wednesday Night Bike Maintenance Night 6-9 PM: 1st Wednesday of the Month

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
I don't know what the demand for this will be but I've decided to give it a shot and see where it goes.

I'm fortunate enough to have a garage, tools and decent mechanical knowledge that I am willing to share with other riders.

I figured I'd host a bike night once a month where people can come an hang out, work on bikes, help others work on bikes, learn basic maintenance skills, etc.

Other than deciding to do it and picking a day and time as an initial starting point, I'm open to suggestions about the format.

Where: 6708 Canalview Dr Arlington Tx 76016

Food: Bring some or eat before. I have a grill if you want to grill something.

Supplies and Old Parts: I don't want to charge for this, but I don't want to incur a lot of costs either and / or be stuck with a stack of old tires and stuff. Please help with shop supplies and leave $3 a tire for disposal fees.

Time: 6-9

Day: 1st Wednesday of the month. (Next one is April 3rd)

Logistics: Garage is big enough to work on more than one bike at a time and I should have the tools including lifts, hoists, stands, hand tools, etc. If we work on more than one bike at a time, we'd need other mechanics or people that know how to use them. Obviously I'd like all my tools back at the end of the day so if you bring your own tools out, make sure you keep them separate from mine so we know who's tool it is.

Purpose: I like to work on bikes and like hanging out with others working on bikes and talking bikes. I don't mind showing others how to work on their bikes and even helping them but I don't really want people just bringing their bikes for others to work on. At a minimum, I'd want the bike owner present and engaged in all work done on their bike. (you can learn a lot by just being there and handing someone tools.....that's how most of us learned anyway). It's also a place to come if you already know how but maybe just want to work on your bike while others are around. No real rules other than you're there to engage with other riders and be part of a group working on bikes and not just showing up for free maintenance done by someone else.

What else? Post up if you are interested in this and / or have suggestions.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. I can’t make the first one, but might be able to make some of the later ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow ... awesome offer

Fantastic. I used to host maintenance days at my place occasionally and combine it with a cookout. Maybe 1/2 the people were there with their bikes to work on them, 1/4 to help, and 1/4 to "supervise" :-P I usually did them on a Saturday just because so many folks were not local to me. Being in Arlington, evenings during the week might actually work for you. I would allow people to have stuff shipped to my place ahead of time. I would not allow leftovers to simply be left at my place, with the exception of tires. They could be left if the owner paid me the disposal fee for each tire as charged by our local Discount Tires store. I would take them there and they would get rid of them (free originally, but no longer). I did the same thing with batteries and fluids, but took those to our local auto parts store for disposal. Riders pay the fees if there are any.

I would suggest marking your tools in some manner. Some people wrap them with colored tape or something that makes them immediately obvious. I don't think anyone would intentionally try to take them, but it is just too easy to get them mixed up if they are not marked.

excellent idea Super Dave, I will be there. I need to get my aux lights going on the wing. This is just what I needed to get me motivated!

excellent idea Super Dave, I will be there. I need to get my aux lights going on the wing. This is just what I needed to get me motivated!

Sounds good. Hey....maybe we can mount that tire you said you wanted sometime too....but probably not the same day.

How awesome, wish you were closer. Good way to learn and get to know folks better. Mark your tools, lol. Guys take their own tires home. Maybe a "kitty" jar for donations for shop supplies??

Great idea for those that want to learn how to service their bikes. I do all my maintenance on my bikes, adjust valves, brakes etc I am willing to help and meet new members.
Louis

Last edited:
Wow. And we're practically neighbors. Wednesdays are usually pretty tight for me because of responsibilities at church. But I'll try to make it by sometime just to meet some folks. And maybe sometime, somebody can show me how to remove the tupperware & tank of a '12 VStrom. I had finally learned to do the '05 just before I sold it.
:giveup:

So... Weather on Wednesday looks to be a high of 52 and no rain. Garage is heated so come on out and let's do this.

Address is 6708 Canalview Dr. Arlington 76016

We'll generally shoot for 6-9PM but honestly, I work from home and will be ready for company anytime after 5.

There's been a few people that say it sounds interesting and one or two that said they'd be there but since it's now 2 days away, I'd appreciate you letting me know for sure if you are coming and if so, what do you want to work on or are you just coming to help others.

Also...I can grill some burgers, hot dogs or brats if that sounds good and people are interested or just bring whatever you want to eat. I just need to know how much meat to throw on the grill as it's just my Wife and I at home these days and I don't want to cook a bunch of meat for just us.

Looking forward to it.
Dave

Can't make it this week.

Leaving for the hill country Thursday.

Do you want this on the TWT calendar?

Yeah.... it might be a small or non-existent turnout for tomorrow but I won't take it personally or judge the viability of the concept after one cold day.

If you are coming, maybe post up and let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably just put a new front tire on my GS tomorrow. Either way, I'll be here.

Yeah.... it might be a small or non-existent turnout for tomorrow but I won't take it personally or judge the viability of the concept after one cold day.

If you are coming, maybe post up and let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably just put a new front tire on my GS tomorrow. Either way, I'll be here.

My experience in getting any kind of regular event started is that it takes at least 2-3 tries just to get folks aware of it. Starting a local bike night is a good example. You just have to pick a time and place and keep doing it. Build it and they will come :-P

If it was not so COLD, even in heated shop setting in a chair for long is uncomfortable as my arthritis in my hands is acting up these last few days I can't hold a wrench. I will try my best next month to come over help with the members that have their bikes serviced, oil/filter etc or live in a apartment, no garage.. Summer time no problem I can wrench and ride no problem. I will be more then happy to help others and meet new members to go ride with. I hope 2WHEELNUT keeps doing this for everyone THUMBS UP for doing this.
Louis

I don't have anything that needs work, but if someone is coming that needs to work on something that's interesting to me, I'll probably use it as an excuse to get out on the bike and come watch.

Meaning, once it gets rolling, I'll probably ride over from time to time to watch and learn. It's about 40 miles one way for me with an interesting road in between.

I don't have anything that needs work, but if someone is coming that needs to work on something that's interesting to me, I'll probably use it as an excuse to get out on the bike and come watch.

Meaning, once it gets rolling, I'll probably ride over from time to time to watch and learn. It's about 40 miles one way for me with an interesting road in between.
You never know Jarrett, you may need to change your brushes or something.

I would love to come but to far away for me. It's a great idea though.

I'm going to go ahead and plan on March 6th as the first one.

I enjoy these types of get togethers and have both hosted and attended them in other places I've lived. Being the new guy in town, I am interested in participating. I may have a better chance of making it next month with longer warmer days. But, I may drop by on my way home from work tomorrow just to introduce myself. Would anyone be offended if I happened to have a case of beer with me?

-Jeff

If I was driving my car, a beer with a burger is cool but on my bike tea and burger. . Jus sayin not my shop another new guy too.

Louis

If I was driving my car, a beer with a burger is cool but on my bike tea and burger. . Jus sayin not my shop another new guy too.

Louis
More for the rest of us? Just kidding, Louis. I hate to show up empty handed if I stop by in the truck on my way home.

-Jeff

Back