• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Had a good chicken fried steak at Blakes in McQueeny Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was there w/ Dave and can confirm that it was a really good CFS w/ really good gravy. We got the lunch special which was a smaller portion - next time will probably get the next larger size.

Lately I am addicted to the Chicken fry at Crazy Gals in Burnet,Texas. Been trying to go there every few weeks for my fill.:deal:

Buttermilks in Canton is good.
And they have good pie.
Just probably want to avoid First Monday weekends.

I love y’all resurrecting these old threads. I need to read it through to see if it’s mentioned, but my buddy picked a nice paved road trip, farm roads and windies up to Suttuns in Sonora last fall. The ride made the trip but I’ll go back anytime I get the chance for the Chicken fried steak as long as I’m on 2 wheels.

Have a new favorite. Granny Clarks in Dublin. Went there Sunday with my brother who was in town visiting. Had the all you can eat buffet. The Chicken fried steak was amazing. Had to over do it and had two pieces. The most tender that I have had all year. No gristle not chewy just tender quality pieces of meat. Sorry no picks was too busy enjoying the food and visiting.
This used to be my favorite, until I had some of my mother in laws chicken fried steak! But a close third is at Murns here in Archer City, TX

I think that the main factor in judging CFS is the steak itself. The gravy can be ok but the steak has to be just so. If you cut into the edge of the steak and you get a mouthful of crust and no meat, that steak loses points in my opinion. Also if the crust is hard and crunchy instead of soft and fluffy, again a loss of points. If you want a CFS that meets these requirements, go to Mel's Country Café in Tomball. I usually get the CFS fingers because even the small steaks are pretty big.

I think that the main factor in judging CFS is the steak itself. The gravy can be ok but the steak has to be just so. If you cut into the edge of the steak and you get a mouthful of crust and no meat, that steak loses points in my opinion. Also if the crust is hard and crunchy instead of soft and fluffy, again a loss of points. If you want a CFS that meets these requirements, go to Mel's Country Café in Tomball. I usually get the CFS fingers because even the small steaks are pretty big.
I'm opening myself up for ridicule, but I don't like gravy.

So I judge based solely on quality of the meat, and the crust.

I prefer a thin crust. When the steak and crust can be cut with the side of a fork everything is just right.

Shady Glade Cafe in Uncertain TX

Big’un

We do need a list of places and cities with some kind of rating system for each kept on the first post.

Had CFS at The Fish Pond - darn good, too big for lunch, but I got her done. It in Willis @ 17091 TX-75, Willis, TX 77378.

Later, Bud...

I volunteer to create a shared Google Map, if people really want it. Click the "Like" on my post if you want one. If there's a decent response, I'll do it.
I'll incorporate some sort of rating system in the map, too.

It'll take me a day or three with 747 posts to go through.

I'm opening myself up for ridicule, but I don't like gravy.

So I judge based solely on quality of the meat, and the crust.

I prefer a thin crust. When the steak and crust can be cut with the side of a fork everything is just right.

I am not a huge gravy fan either. I do use a little just for future knowledge. I get mine on the side when they remember.

I volunteer to create a shared Google Map, if people really want it. Click the "Like" on my post if you want one. If there's a decent response, I'll do it.
I'll incorporate some sort of rating system in the map, too.

It'll take me a day or three with 747 posts to go through.
Seems to me like kickstand~prophet started this thread, thus he has the responsibility to report and rate them. Considering that he started this thread in November of 2012, he really doesn't have any excuses for not having tried them all by now. ;)

Back