• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Moved - Camping Trip now April 5-7

I'm not riding with any KLRs. I'm out. No, just kidding. But I may be out due to farming responsibilities. Three of my sheep are about to drop kids, and we have never done this before, and my wife is freaking out, so unless they drop ahead of the trip, and I get the place set up and stable, I may be screwed. I am ready and willing to make a run to BB within a few weeks though once this birthing thing is done.

Is there campsites already reserved or do we need to make them individually?

We dont need no stinkin reservations, we can use Aaron's name to get into anywhere in texas. :)

But just in case I have a reservation at Palo Duro Canyon for Friday night the 15th and Copper Breaks SP Saturday the 16th.

I will be cooking at camp each night, but I am not set up to cook for multiple people (meaning I can only cook one steak at a time). Each campsite will have a fire ring with a grill so we can cook multiple meals. We can get a bag of charcoal when we buy groceries each evening. I can cook breakfast for everyone on my system. Bring your own coffee. I will have hot water ready.

Schedule according to Aaron......
Friday:
Graham to Palo Duro 291 miles doing the back roads.

Some can go to the museum in Canyon on Friday afternoon http://www.panhandleplains.org/

Saturday:
Palo Duro to Borger Adobe Walls museum 75 miles,
Borger to Adobe Walls 40 miles,
Adobe Walls to Buffalo Wallow 104 miles
Buffalo Wallow site to Copper Breaks 140 miles

All the miles are direct miles NOT Aaron miles :)

background stories...there will be a test :)

Adobe Walls
In 1864, the ruins were the site of one of the largest battles ever to take place on the Great Plains. Colonel Christopher "Kit" Carson led 300 volunteers

Buffalo Wallow
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/btb03
Two guys of interest Amos Chapman and Billy Dixon, who had been one of the defenders at the Battle of Adobe Walls in June, joined the fight at Buffalo Wallow.

Last edited:
I'm not riding with any KLRs. I'm out. No, just kidding.

Three of my sheep are about to drop kids,

I see what you did there....

Reservations in case I crash and burn

b5ab860f798fb4ed8d059e8ef45b083d.jpg

362fb0d4204f1bdaa622c880bbd340ce.jpg

I’m sure anyone who has done a rudimentary Google* search already knows, there were 2 big battles at Adobe Walls. 1864 (Kit Carson) & 1874 (Billy Dixon). Bat Masterson was there in the 1874 battle also. Quanah Parker was on the other team there, & was wounded when a Buffalo Hunter shot him, as he was taking cover behind an old buffalo carcass.

I'm totally in for #5 on the list. Kevin, do I place my order now?

Tentatively throwing my hat in to tag along. Have to fine time to get some tires and an oil change. Will meet up Friday morning if I can make it.
Shoot! I keep forgetting I have to work for a living. Maybe I can still make it work.

I'll see how Sherpyderp feels about running with you big dawgz. We haven't spent much time rolling together yet but I've got some time off and I might get partway there anyhow before he bucks me off.

Onward!

This all pretty much new to me. A couple of questions to get caught up with how it works. First question, is this guys only? Second question, how do y'all handle the camp sites? I know the state parks have a limit to the number in each site.

This all pretty much new to me. A couple of questions to get caught up with how it works. First question, is this guys only? Second question, how do y'all handle the camp sites? I know the state parks have a limit to the number in each site.

It is male, female, coed and transgender (Aaron).

Each campsite is huge and they allow 8 people. But we can sneak some more in. I called and said numerous motorcycles no problem.

I'm going to try and make this. Not exactly sure when I'll be able to get out of town though. Might be meeting you at the park Saturday evening.

Ok, I've forgotten how to use the RSVP feature of the new software. If I figure it out, I'll sign up there.

I'm going to try and make this. Not exactly sure when I'll be able to get out of town though. Might be meeting you at the park Saturday evening.

Ok, I've forgotten how to use the RSVP feature of the new software. If I figure it out, I'll sign up there.

If you see a Super Sherpa upside down somewhere along the way, that'll be me. :flip:

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring if I could. I'll be the one with the least Adventure riding/camping experience.
Would someone be so kind as to let me know if I need to make a reservation. I have not slept in a tent since I was 12 so this could be interesting for me.

Kat, keep me posted on your travel plans. I can meet you somewhere north of I20. I'll help you right-side your machine if you'll help me :)
I might ride my KLR. It's sort of rightable. Besides KLR's and Super Sherpa's are more in spirit of wilderness travel machines.

Kat, keep me posted on your travel plans. I can meet you somewhere north of I20. I'll help you right-side your machine if you'll help me :)
I might ride my KLR. It's sort of rightable. Besides KLR's and Super Sherpa's are more in spirit of wilderness travel machines.

Will do, Robert! I have the loosest of plans and the rustiest of skills (and my chain doesn't look too good right now either). I figure as long as we show up in time for Kevin to serve breakfast, we're in good shape.

Did I read early on this ride would be big bike friendly? I'd like to join you guys with my new to me R1150GS... too big? I have not played in the dirt with it yet.

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring if I could. I'll be the one with the least Adventure riding/camping experience.
Would someone be so kind as to let me know if I need to make a reservation. I have not slept in a tent since I was 12 so this could be interesting for me.

We have the reservations made

Couple of things:

We will stop before camp each day to get groceries. Please leave enough room in your bags about the size of a loaf of bread. We can distribute the groceries among all the bikes.

Bring knife and fork.

Also pack about 5 paper plates. Why 5 for 4 meals? Because Aaron will probably forget his plate. We don’t want the boss man hungry and irritable[emoji41]

If you have a down jacket they are wonderful to sleep in.

Wait... bags???

:drool::lol2:

Back