• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cancelled Event: Arkansas ADV Ride: Around Glenwood AR, Now May 17-19

Tony, I think it's your route that 2WheelNut, GFLflyer and I rode last fall. It was posted on the Glenwood thread last year. Well we rode most of it anyhow, and really enjoyed ourselves. Wow, I just don't remember that section Robertson Creek as being difficult (Even Jarrett could do it :duck::haha:) If 2WN and GFL would like to chime in here on their memories? It's the area where GFL later said, I kept wondering what Mac was looking back at me for and then I looked down and said, "TREE!" :pray:There were a couple of smaller trees that had fallen over the road but was very passable.

Anyhow, towards the start we cut off of Owley Rd. onto Crystal Park Rd instead of continuing on. I like going over the mountain there and the pavilion on the back side was a nice place for a prostrate break. We took that over to 27 north and rejoined at Alexander Rd.

Like I mentioned before, we rerouted down 375 from 270 but joined back on where Polk Co. 70 turns south. This was the only mildly difficult part of the route in my mind because of a rocky downhill section there. It wasn't hard per-say, just slower going. I think it would be trickier running the other way with the fear you might lose momentum and stall or something.

Once we got on 8 we just rode into Mena because it was a perfect time for lunch. After Mena is a lot of fun too all the way to the state park and beyond. Good stuff! We really enjoyed your efforts.

I did the slap rally 2 years ago with @Simmons1 and @TossingLead but it was a flood. We had to evacuate the camp ground at 2am because Mulberry creek got into flood stage in like 2 hours! Good time and great people.

But we have great people on this ride too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand the tents moving in the middle of the night but you could let a couple of feet of water pass under the hammock couldn't you? :duck:

Tony, I think it's your route that 2WheelNut, GFLflyer and I rode last fall. It was posted on the Glenwood thread last year. Well we rode most of it anyhow, and really enjoyed ourselves. Wow, I just don't remember that section Robertson Creek as being difficult (Even Jarrett could do it :duck::haha:) If 2WN and GFL would like to chime in here on their memories? It's the area where GFL later said, I kept wondering what Mac was looking back at me for and then I looked down and said, "TREE!" :pray:There were a couple of smaller trees that had fallen over the road but was very passable.

Anyhow, towards the start we cut off of Owley Rd. onto Crystal Park Rd instead of continuing on. I like going over the mountain there and the pavilion on the back side was a nice place for a prostrate break. We took that over to 27 north and rejoined at Alexander Rd.

Like I mentioned before, we rerouted down 375 from 270 but joined back on where Polk Co. 70 turns south. This was the only mildly difficult part of the route in my mind because of a rocky downhill section there. It wasn't hard per-say, just slower going. I think it would be trickier running the other way with the fear you might lose momentum and stall or something.

Once we got on 8 we just rode into Mena because it was a perfect time for lunch. After Mena is a lot of fun too all the way to the state park and beyond. Good stuff! We really enjoyed your efforts.
Was that the rough section that @GLFlyer passed me on and started catching up to you on? I think you asked him if he really liked the rocky sections. :) If so, that was the roughest section we rode but not the hardest. It was just rough and required you to go a bit slower to not beat up the bike. (then again...I had a blown front shock....so maybe it's not actually that bad with properly working suspension)

I thought the tree incident was after lunch around the Wolfpen Gap area but I might be wrong.

The rocky section was after the tree incident. The tree area was while riding up and down the mountain forest roads right after taking pictures at the bridge. The rocky section led us out to the pavement that we took into Mena for lunch.

@Simmons1, you going back this year?

Only if everyone is on big bikes and we ride the K-Trail together. LOL

Honestly not sure yet. I will be at the Hillbilly Dual sport in Jasper the weekend before with my WRR.

Slap was interesting. I was floating on my blow up mattress with water running under my tent. Unlike @misterk who wussed out and went home with many others my crew went for a nice ride Saturday, and had a great ride back home on Sunday.

The rocky section was after the tree incident. The tree area was while riding up and down the mountain forest roads right after taking pictures at the bridge. The rocky section led us out to the pavement that we took into Mena for lunch.

Ok...then yes. It was rocky and rough, but not really hard. You just had to take it slower and absorb the rocks a bit with your legs. I guess it would be considered hard if you aren't comfortable with the bike moving around under you but it was pretty predictable really.

The more challenging section was definitely after lunch.

I know that comment was a bit tounge and cheek but most people that rider harder roads aren't doing it to wad up their bike. In fact, MacDaddy has about as much chance of wadding up his bike on that road as most riders do on a flat country road.

It looks different for all of us but I think we all want a bit of a challenge.. You can make easy roads more challenging by adding speed (which makes for violent crashes when you mess up) or you can find more challenging roads. I don't think any of us are looking to crash. But...speaking for myself, if I wanted easy, I could find that within 10 miles of home and I ride those roads fairly often and still have fun on them.

I go to places like Arkansas for the better scenery and the chance to ride things that are a bit more challenging. I'm guessing most of us are similar in that regard. Maybe I do take a bit more risk than some, but we all take more risk than the person that stays home and drives a car. I think that all motorcycle riders enjoy the challenge and risk of riding more than they fear the crash. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be worth it to ride.

Humorous note.... For the longest time, if someone was slower than me on the highway and I'd call them slow and want them to get out of the way and then someone would pass me and I'd call them a maniac. :)
Pretty much agree with you, I've got plenty of flat ground around here.

Anyone ready for Arkansas!

I'm ready too! It looks like the rain is just about here for the day so no riding for me right now. I did ride the mighty PCX over to Jarrett's house yesterday (surprisingly it's just a van by the river, but a very big van :lol2:) and rode his Zero. The bike and I probably looked like a big number 8 going down the road with one zero on top of another Zero. Anyhow, that brief dual sport riding session with have to hold me for now. BTW the Zero is pretty cool ride and that front end can come up pretty easily at times, so I'm told.

Yep... I'm ready to go back to the woods!

I haven't rode the Tenere since my last Arkansas ride (except a few quick trips @ town). Looking forward to putting her through her paces again... and that steak down by the river everyone talks about. 😉

Yep... I'm ready to go back to the woods!

I haven't rode the Tenere since my last Arkansas ride (except a few quick trips @ town). Looking forward to putting her through her paces again... and that steak down by the river everyone talks about. 😉

Bob, the steaks are great, the cook has some quirks...:) I will head to the grocery store each day at 3 to get supper for the evening.

Friday night steaks and baked potatoes.

Saturday night steaks and roasted corn.

If anyone is a vegan you are SOL :)

Tony I am in, the other guys can cook their own steaks Friday night :) very nice offer, thank you.

OK Tony... based on all the posts in this thread... here's what I've got so far.

In:
  1. MacDaddy
  2. Jarrett
  3. GLFlyer
  4. 2WheelNut
  5. MisterK
  6. woodsguy (booked a cabin for 4) I don't know who all he's bringing.
  7. lotecredneck
  8. TxEvo8
Thinking about it:
  1. Ocho
  2. SpiritAtBay
  3. RobFelicci
  4. Black Eye
  5. Simmons1

Love chicken! Rsquared, his son, GlenStJohn, and myself.

Unless something, changes I am out for this. Leaving the following weekend for long street bike trip on the Wing.

Updated 03/24/19

In:
  1. MacDaddy
  2. Jarrett
  3. Ocho
  4. GLFlyer
  5. 2WheelNut
  6. MisterK
  7. woodsguy
  8. Rsquared +1 (son)
  9. GlenStJohn
  10. lotecredneck
  11. TxEvo8
Thinking about it:
  1. SpiritAtBay
  2. RobFelicci
  3. Black Eye

Updated 03/24/19

In:
  1. MacDaddy
  2. Jarrett
  3. Ocho
  4. GLFlyer
  5. 2WheelNut
  6. MisterK
  7. woodsguy
  8. Rsquared +1 (son)
  9. GlenStJohn
  10. lotecredneck
  11. TxEvo8
Thinking about it:
  1. SpiritAtBay
  2. RobFelicci
  3. Black Eye

Looks like a good group.

Tony....very generous offer on the chicken. Thanks. Looking forward to some good camping, eating, riding and swapping of stories.

Back