• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane splitting petition in Texas. Sign it!!!!

Hey, I resemble that remark.
It makes no sense for me to take more time to gear up than my commute lasts and ending up at work with wrecked out hair.
So, let's just focus on the legislation of passing lane splitting in Texas.
LOL, Yup, me too.
I ride my bike to work unless it is raining when I leave for work. If raining, I drive my "huge truck" (a 2002 F150 Supercrew, not really that big compared to some).
But then again, my commute is only 3 miles.

LOL, Yup, me too.
I ride my bike to work unless it is raining when I leave for work. If raining, I drive my "huge truck" (a 2002 F150 Supercrew, not really that big compared to some).
But then again, my commute is only 3 miles.
My 2500 4wd QC diesel fits in my garage. It's not that big.

Heey, is someone saying my truck is fat???

I signed it. didn't comment though. I'd lane split if I sat in any traffic, but I work nights so I miss 90% of the fun.

I miss Germany. Basically any lane splitting is ok. I learned early in my tour there on a BMW factory test drive that splitting between on coming cars on a two lane road is G2G. Cars just move over and let you go.

For those of us living in congested areas, there is a real need to introduce various changes as to how we commute. Enhancing mass transportation, encouraging car pools, greater options for bicycling and pedestrian options, and changing laws such as 'right on red' to enhance flow. Lane splitting makes sense and certainly helps traffic overall. Sooner or later some form of this law will pass. I'll use that link and add my voice.

The attitude of other drivers is what I was referring to.
At this point, it irks me when bikes filter, because it is illegal, giving bikers a bad image. I have seen bikes doing it and cars purposefully moving in front of them and blocking the bike.
It will take a huge ad campaign over several years to get people aware if it is passed.
If bikes and cars both understand what it is, how to do it safely, and that it is a benefit for both, then it can work. As said, in Europe it has been working fine for years. Cali has had the grey area for it for years and finally actually made it truly legal. Results so far has been good.

That's illegal here in Cali.

As mentioned, the biggest issue is the driver's attitude of "not in front of me"

I split every day, and fully support it. Hopefully TX can pass this.

Haven't seen that Granbury video in ages. The rider absolutely didn't deserve it - there's no justification for whacking a motorcycle with a car. That said, the rider did several things wrong, even besides passing on a yellow. The first time I saw the video, I noticed he was closer to the center line than he needed to be, AND he moved slightly closer to the car just a moment before the car veered toward him. It was a poor choice on the rider's part, putting him and his passenger at more risk than necessary. The driver's action was criminal, but the mishap was preventable by the rider.

That scares me about lane splitting - too many people with hair trigger tempers out there. Even at very low speed, you're extremely vulnerable if somebody decides to play vigilante with their sheet metal. Even if this is made legal, attitudes won't change overnight.

In fairness, the vast majority of drivers are perfectly courteous to me when I ride, often even helping me pass them. It's the 1% who scare me.

Back