• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Civil War Battlefiled Tour ‘19 - May 10-16

Reaction score
I’ve been itchin to check out a few US Civil War National Parks. If somethin don’t rip or tear, & weather permitting, I plan on goin May 10 (Friday) & return May 16 (the next Thursday).

It’ll be 7 days of riding, 7 National Parks, & 7 State Parks or sites.

The main parks are
Corinth MS
Shiloh TN
Murfreesboro TN
Chickamauga GA
Kennesaw Mountain GA

With quick stops at smaller places on the way
Spring Hill TN
Resaca GA
Pickett’s Mill GA

It’ll be cheap hotels, greasy spoon cafes, lotsa ridin, & quick sightseein.

I’ve got it all semi-planned. Just gauging interest to see if anyone here wants to tag along. Post up or PM me.

Pass due to limited vacation days and a desire to get to Arkansas and/or Colorado this year.

Same, limited vacation days, sounds fun though!

Going to an ADV rally in Murphy NC the 15th through 19th. This sounds like it could be on the way.

Go to the battlefield in Vicksburg and go see the ironclad Cairo. Definitely an eye opener. And it is on the way.

We’ll figure to meet up with you around Chickamauga. We’ll be there 2 nights mid trip. There’s 4 National Parks at Chickamauga/Chattanooga, & a couple of smaller state park sites.

1 stop at the Chickamauga Park will be the spot where John Bell Hood lost his leg.

Sounds good. I will give you a call when I get to an hour or so outside of Atlanta and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the battlefield in Vicksburg and go see the ironclad Cairo. Definitely an eye opener. And it is on the way.

And take a wider angle lens! That thing is too big for a point n shoot.

eeks. those that still love yellowstone have not sat on a motorcycle in miles of traffic while foreigners study ducks crossing the road. Yeah, hot water of bright colors bubbling up is cool, unless you fall in. The lean bison are best done with a BBQ. Way nicer places to ride at least from the perspective of a guy who used to live in Missoula. Sorry, there is just something that ticks me off on the massive commercialization of the once beautiful place. The pic is by an idiot (me) allowing a bison to come over and investigate my GSA. Turns out he did not really like BMWs and I had to skeedaddle while being not so gently nudged onward. I think he wanted my beer.

Attachments

• yellowstone bison attack.jpg
    yellowstone bison attack.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 154
I like the idea and route and it is on my way to the annual Strom Gathering at the IronHorse Lodge May 18, but domestic priorities get in the way. I have camped twice at the Rocky Springs campground on the Natchez Trace, but I did not take the time to visit Vicksburg. Guilty as charged. Anyway I have recently enjoyed watching the made for tv depiction of the the civil war on YT titled The Blue and the Gray.

And after all that my participation in either event is unlikely. Wistfully said.

Turns out, I'll be two weeks behind you. Only planning on Shiloh and Chickamauga on the way east. Family visit in SC and then who knows on the way back.

Bike is ready. Might try to add a bolt-on farkle or two before leaving, but I’m good to go now.

Last edited:
Back