• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

Is anyone planning on riding it this Saturday?

Anyone got the GPS file for this one? It didn't appear to be among the others.

I don't currently have a machine that can view gpx files.
I see the May ride is 229 miles and titled Fredericksburg.
Can anyone categorize this route?
Approximate % non paved?
Difficulty level, including consideration for water crossings + recent rain?
I have been trying to make one of these rides ever since I got the DRZ but have had conflicts each time.
May be able to make this one and get some much needed experience!

I don't currently have a machine that can view gpx files.
I see the May ride is 229 miles and titled Fredericksburg.
Can anyone categorize this route?
Approximate % non paved?
Difficulty level, including consideration for water crossings + recent rain?
I have been trying to make one of these rides ever since I got the DRZ but have had conflicts each time.
May be able to make this one and get some much needed experience!
This is the application to use to handle .gpx files.

D-man, I use Motion-X GPS on my I-phone. It’s just a few $$ and so far has worked well for me. See you Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the application to use to handle .gpx files.

App seems nice but it looks like it doesn't feature multiple tracks in a single .gpx file, like the one Richard made.

I'm trying Scenic and it seems to work fine, unfortunately the app is not optimized for iPhone Xs. Will have to do for now.

D-man, I use Motion-X GPS on my I-phone. It’s just a few $$ and so far has worked well for me. See you Saturday!

Thanks fellow dman! I installed this one tonight and was able to download and view the track.
Still need to figure out how to use it to follow a saved track, etc.

Tried to trace the route with satellite view and it looks to me like the May route is mostly paved with several water crossings.
Thinking about doing this on my ‘13 Tiger Roadie (not XC) instead of the DRZ.

the route is about 95% paved althaus davis rd has about 2 miles of dirt, gravel and water crossings and may be some bad spots here and there thru the loop.

Aaron

I just did Althaus-Davis this past weekend. There is hardly any dirt left :-( There are two short concrete water crossings. They are not easily seen until you are RIGHT on them because they are low in blind corners and right in the corner. It would be real easy to come over the crest and be carrying too much speed for them. I have a waypoint on my GPS for them. Last weekend they were dry. In the past they were not... which is why I added the waypoint to help me realize I am coming up on them during future rides.

I am at work now so I don't have access to the waypoint info to show where they are. Just be mindful if you are riding out there as they have received some rain lately.

Looking at Google play for motion x but can't find.

Must be for apple only???

2-5 inches of rain today in the ride area. Those water crossings will be flowing tomorrow and perhaps debris in the roads.

2-5 inches of rain today in the ride area. Those water crossings will be flowing tomorrow and perhaps debris in the roads.

We can reroute if we need to. No big deal.

Running late. Just now leaving cedar park. I may catch up with the group but either way have a good ride.

Rains from Friday made us reroute thrice. Two water crossings were simply undoable and the third one was attempted by the brave (with success) but I chickened out along with others and regrouped at Blanco. We couldn’t do the complete route due to lack of time but fun was had. Some peeps joined from the Meetup group I set up so that was nice.

Some pics:
3C9D613B-C5F3-4D66-BF8C-0EA0B04EC446.jpeg

992862A5-8E5F-48C7-B1E8-A2F802C81EBA.jpeg

7AEC84EA-0750-48EB-8F80-B2CF76FFE7EB.jpeg

E2222503-E07A-40A5-BDC2-C3FDCB5A39F0.jpeg

C1CC1DDD-F24D-4700-A183-C3B29888C0D1.jpeg

A9CFAAED-E83B-4EBE-B119-82EB849E2658.jpeg

8F2D927C-BBA9-454B-8F39-D8C1C4A176DD.jpeg

So, the first Saturday ride is nigh, who's coming?

Good move on that. I had that about trying to utilize meetUp in the past,but never followed up on it.

Where I'm at, I can't look at the route because I'm not allowed to download any files. How much dirt is there on the Johnson City route this weekend? I'm dealing with injury and can't ride anything rough at all and not for really long rides either. However, it's been too long (February) since I went on a group ride and if this one is mostly pavement, and the weather holds out, I'd like to try to make it. At least part of it.

What i remember on those roads there is very little gravel, probably some wash on the road by all the rain. There are some low water crossing thru out and will maybe have some water on them (middle creek Rd @ middle creek). Road Saturday in that area but not those roads and there was some water in spots thru out my ride.

Aaron

Based on memory, its all paved, with varying degrees of road quality.

Just had some plans change so I’m in for tomorrow. Woohoo! Who else will be there? Get your time behind bars in before we hit triple digits, folks.

Back