• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question: KTM 200 xcw ok for “bigger dude”

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Getting back into riding, and have my eye on a 2008 200 xcw.
The riding I’ll do will be single track with plenty of elevation change.

I’ve always admired the 200, and have been wanting to try out a two stroke. My question is, I’m on the above average size at 6’2” (almost 6’3”) and currently weighing about 210 with out gear. Will it have trouble hauling me up hills? Or am i over thinking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back into riding, and have my eye on a 2008 200 xcw.
The riding I’ll do will be single track with plenty of elevation change.

I’ve always admired the 200, and have been wanting to try out a two stroke. My question is, I’m on the above average size at 6’2” (almost 6’3”) and currently weighing about 210 with out gear. Will it have trouble hauling me up hills? Or am i over thinking it?

Silverbullet loves his 200, older than 08 though.

I just got a 2008 300 xc-w and I am in love. It absolutely scoots my 165lb butt around.

I'm sure the 200 will move you just fine

If it's a good bike for a good price, go for it.

Have any pictures or s link?

Silverbullet loves his 200, older than 08 though.

I just got a 2008 300 xc-w and I am in love. It absolutely scoots my 165lb butt around.

I'm sure the 200 will move you just fine

If it's a good bike for a good price, go for it.

Have any pictures or s link?

Here’s the one I’m looking at.

8b4fa59f716e676f65bc5778fda74e4d.jpg

The 300 is the other bike on my radar, but they’re also hard to come by, and folks are really proud of them up here.
If price was the same, I’d probably go 300

What bugs me is the 07 & earlier headlight and fender. So it's an xc-w turned into an exc?
Any idea on actual hours? Not just top end?

If you were riding at sea level, I would highly recommend the 200. I owned a 2010 200XCW and really thought very highly of it. But, at altitude it loses way too much to the 300’s. I’m on my 3rd 300 now and couldn’t recommend another bike more for single track at any elevation. And FWIW, I tip the scales at 195.

What bugs me is the 07 & earlier headlight and fender. So it's an xc-w turned into an exc?
Any idea on actual hours? Not just top end?

He said 10 hrs on top end, probably 300 hrs on the bike.

I have ridden a good friends 200 multiple times and really like it but that is down here have never ridden one at altitude. You could always have Slavens up there
shave the head to bump up compression and power some.

Hey, if you want to try a 2 stroke and don't want to spend a bunch of cash come down and buy my Suzuki RM 250 with the Eric Gorr 265 Kit in it. Its an older bike but runs very well, I am just not riding it since I got the KTM a couple of years ago other than to ride it around every so often by the house

Same bike you tried to keep up with in SHNF several years ago :)

The market up there is way different. I paid $2850 for my 08 300 xcw

The market up there is way different. I paid $2850 for my 08 300 xcw

Yeah it’s crazy.
Maybe i should just go visit my folks and buy one down there

You could always just build that yz250 you picked up

You could always just build that yz250 you picked up

Yeah, and I’ll probably ride it a bit before selling it. I just love the orange bikes so much LOL

Hey, if you want to try a 2 stroke and don't want to spend a bunch of cash come down and buy my Suzuki RM 250 with the Eric Gorr 265 Kit in it. Its an older bike but runs very well, I am just not riding it since I got the KTM a couple of years ago other than to ride it around every so often by the house

Same bike you tried to keep up with in SHNF several years ago :)

I don’t even remember what that vine looks like. I only saw it twice: once at the trail head when we started, and then again at the trail head when i finally caught up and you were on your third beer LOL

Yeah, and I’ll probably ride it a bit before selling it. I just love the orange bikes so much LOL

I recently saw the light, so I cant argue there

If you were riding at sea level, I would highly recommend the 200. I owned a 2010 200XCW and really thought very highly of it. But, at altitude it loses way too much to the 300’s. I’m on my 3rd 300 now and couldn’t recommend another bike more for single track at any elevation. And FWIW, I tip the scales at 195.
I agree with this young fella, find you a 250 or 300 for CO.

I don’t even remember what that vine looks like. I only saw it twice: once at the trail head when we started, and then again at the trail head when i finally caught up and you were on your third beer LOL

That was before the big bore kit it was still a 250 not a 265 then. I could take a couple of pictures if you are interested, I have the stock and an oversized tank that is 4.7 gallons

I agree with this young fella, find you a 250 or 300 for CO.

I have a yz250 two stoke in the garage awaiting a rebuild (only paid $450 for it)
But Ive had a bad case of orange crush for a while, so that’s my ultimate goal.

I have a yz250 two stoke in the garage awaiting a rebuild (only paid $450 for it)
But Ive had a bad case of orange crush for a while, so that’s my ultimate goal.

I understand, I was looking for a KTM 250XC when I came across a good deal on my current 250XC-F I miss the 2 stroke at times but the High strung XC-F 4 stroke is a good compromise and I have been enjoying it but still thinking of a modern 2 stroke

I understand, I was looking for a KTM 250XC when I came across a good deal on my current 250XC-F I miss the 2 stroke at times but the High strung XC-F 4 stroke is a good compromise and I have been enjoying it but still thinking of a modern 2 stroke
You know you want a beta

$450 for a yz? What year? I was yz shopping when I found my 300

You know you want a beta

$450 for a yz? What year? I was yz shopping when I found my 300

2000 needs a bitten end rebuild and I’m going to do a top end while it’s apart.

And I’d take a Beta....if i won the lottery LOL

Yeah my old KTM was a 250sxf. I’m kicking myself every day for selling it.

2000 needs a bitten end rebuild and I’m going to do a top end while it’s apart.

And I’d take a Beta....if i won the lottery LOL

Bud was out at a ride day where they had betas to test ride, he wouldn't touch it for fear of buying one

Silverbullet loves his 200, older than 08 though...

The 200 was bought for my son 5'10", 165 lbs. I have ridden it a few times though and do like it power wise but at 6'0", 200 lb it seems a tad less comfortable in ergos. Slightly smaller frame? Maybe partly due me having a long inseam for my height ~35" You being 6'3" I would say too small and hold out for a 300. Even the old ones are excellent and can be found cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Bud was out at a ride day where they had betas to test ride, he wouldn't touch it for fear of buying one

Yea, I let the fear of having to break into some emergency ffunds if I got too close, I took a wide path around that bad boy

Back