• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Battleship Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Shannon

So if y’all have watched or kept up with the news, the days are coming to a quick end to see the Battleship Texas.

Anyone interested in doing a ride from Stockdale area in early September? Or we can meet along the way. Stromxtc and myself will probably go hwy 90 (not 10). See the ship and San Jacinto monument and then head south to Galveston area for the night. Then back home’ish tne next day. If there’s interest we can plan the date or I’ll just wing it.

Why in September ? Why 90 ? I would at least take 532 to 155.

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

Last edited:
Why in September ? Why 90 ?

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

Cooler then and less traffic than just hopping on 10. Plus if we miss Labor Day we might be able to get a room in Galveston

If the date works out, I would be in for this. I would be camping Friday night

FYI....don't forget to bring Agent Orange Strength mosquito repellent...and a tennis racket. They are bad, VERY BAD out there.

I’m possibly in for this.

Actually, I’ve been intending to visit this site.

I planned for it to be the last stop of a route starting at Gonzalez. The Texas Runaway Scrape Route. The route that Sam Houston & the Texican army took after the Alamo & ended at the battle of San Jacinto took them 6 weeks. Modern GPS shows it to be a 6 hour ride.

I planned for it to be the last stop of a route starting at Gonzalez. The Texas Runaway Scrape Route. The route that Sam Houston & the Texican army took after the Alamo & ended at the battle of San Jacinto took them 6 weeks. Modern GPS shows it to be a 6 hour ride.

Cool! We could meet up in Gonzales at the cannon. That lil thing sure puts history in perspective. I sure expected a bigger cannon to put folks life on but that’s what they had and all they had.

Looks like there might be some interest in the ride. Y’all toss out dates and let’s make this happen. Even if it’s just a day trip for some. If it’s us retired folk, weekdays are cheaper and less traffic.

Last edited:

Gonzales

Does anyone have experience going into Galveston on the ferry? Are they bike friendly? Can we cut line?

The one thing I remember is they want you to stay on ur bike while on the ferry. I guess they are concerned about them falling over with the waves. Some ferry entrances do have a motorcycle lane, but i cant remember if the Galveston one has that.

Does anyone have experience going into Galveston on the ferry? Are they bike friendly? Can we cut line?
They are bike friendly but no line cutting allowed, regular police patrols and people WILL point you out to them, fines often applied along with being returned to the back of the line! Staying with the bike seems to be not universally enforced, (maybe depends on weather?) so check with the ferry staff on the day.

Thanks for the info. The ferry in Port A will wave you around the barricades and put you on quick. Probably not as much traffic as the Galveston one.

Aaron swing by Waco and we can ride down together if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick a cool day , ther was no air conditioning in 1912 . I wish they would land lock that right where it is ,moving it aint going to make a bit of deference . 100 year old steel is kinda loosing its water proof propertys .

How are y’all for a weekday ride? Or does it need to be weekend? First weekend is Labor Day so that’s out.

Less traffic better motel rates. Less congestion on the ferry

Aaron swing by Waco and we can ride down together if you like.

6EF46B86-4206-46C7-B9FE-73F241288F89.png

If we ride all the way out there we are gonna do this at Port Arthur Texas
rainbow-bridge-deltamoxie.jpg

Built in the 30's to allow a battleship with a airship strapped on to pass underneath.

I went over that bridge in the dark because my grumpy buddy didn’t want to hotel it. Totally missed the view

Back