• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV/ Dual sport Helmet?

It has the hole and all the recesses/routing for their bluetooth communication module. It looks like a cheaper sena smh10 will fit, but I went ahead and ordered the Nexx brand one to hopefully avoid any issues. The module should be here tomorrow.
With the bluetooth module, the price comes in at about 900 total, but worth it given how much trouble I have finding a helmet that fits. I must have tried on a hundred helmet before deciding to spend the money. Glad I did.
Did I mention air flow? Until now, I thought I was supposed to stick my head in an oven.

So now that you have had it a while, what is your opinion of fit, comfort, etc,...?

So now that you have had it a while, what is your opinion of fit, comfort, etc,...?
Still loving it. Super comfortable and light. Air flow is amazing. Wind noise has picked up now that all vents are fully open, but it's still no louder than other helmets with little to no air flow. I'm in central Texas so a little noise is ok as long as my head's not on fire.
Put in a photochromatic pin lock. I could have thought that through better first. I lift my visor at most stops, and this cause dark stops due to holes in the peak. They do go away quick though.
The bluetooth comm is the only part I'm not 100% happy with (I'm 95). The speakers crackle a bit at volumes required at highway speeds. This wouldn't bother, but for the price I expect no distortion at any volume. Especially given the bilt helmets with built in comms doesn't have this issue and seems to be made by the same odm.
The ability to add to and to 'easily' completely remove the peak is very nice. Removable camera mounts make it easy to take off your device without losing your setup.

I love it. I would buy another, and would recommend it to those where money isn't of a concern or that have a similar odd shaped head to mine (nose hits the front or close top it and/or chin sticks to far out of the bottom in the correct size.

I forgot. I have another dual sport helmet that is horrible at high speeds. Peak acts as a sail and whips your head around.

The Nexx does not have this issue. It is very stable and aerodynamic.

I finally got to put some miles on my new Krios Pro this weekend, and I think it is the best helmet I’ve ever worn. It’s got good airflow, and the aerodynamics are great. It’s light and does catch wind and pull on my head. The fidlock chin strap is genius. The transition shield is nice and has a great FOV, although I do wish it would get a little darker. Most importantly, it fits me really well. I loved my Nexx, but the bottom of the helmet ended right on my jawline, which made the chinstrap put a lot of pressure on my jaw, and it would get very sore after a couple hours. The Krios comes down around my jaw, which feels much more comfortable and more protective.

All in all, I’m very happy with it. It does have a pretty hefty price tag, but Klim offers a 30% off coupon code for military, and that made the cost a lot easier to swallow.

A helmet is where to spend the money if you can. Over the last 20 years, I have had several but did not spend the money on them that I should have. I was never really comfortable in any helmet completely until now.

I am running the Arai VXPro. It is more of a motocross type helmet so you need goggles or riding glasses. I really do like the helmet more than any one I have used but I also don't spend hours on the highway. It can get a bit loud at highway speeds but for slower, back roads and off-road use, it is really great.

I have an odd shaped head and did not have the opportunity to try on the XD-4. If I had, and it fit, I would have gone that route.

XD4 update:

Out for a nocturnal ride on a humid summer night. I ran with all the vents open for the first time. I did not feel an immediate rush of air like I thought when I opened each as I was moving. But a few minutes later I noticed my head was enclosed in a cool bubble of air. And the noise was not louder than when they were closed. I've got thick hair and I wear a buff under the helmet so I have a little thicker layer up there than you guys with short hair or running slick top. Yall might feel the cooling effect more dramatically than I did. But it was nice none the less. I can see me on a truly hot sunny day taking the buff and running it(or my head) under a facet so I can get a little more cooling if I need to.

I also felt the cool moving air around my face. It wasn't exactly like riding with the visor open, however I could still feel a 'wind in my hair'-esque feeling at the same time wearing full face protection. That was neat and a feeling I hadn't experienced before with any other helmet.

Anyway, thumbs up for Arai's venting.

Woo, that's an expensive one for me. However I do know the difference. I tried on a shoei that was 699 at cycle gear which felt like it was custom built for my mellon.
I should have my $300 scorpion Tucson At950 delivered here in a couple days...its gonna be Rad!

😤Expensive helmet, Now I'm going to have to start locking it on the bike when parking at walmart

Oh man you're telling me. In my house that kind of money is new gun territory not motorcycle stuff. This is the most expensive helmet I've ever bought. I was out the door at $680 I think. And that's not counting the $75 I ended up coughing up to customize the interior pads for the best fit. At first I had to convince myself to spend that kind of money but I did when I decided to get the color I wanted and that when that other $120 didn't matter. I've never acted like such a girl than when I said 'Ooooh I like the colors on that one, it's pretty. i want that one' and made that much money float out of my wallet so fast :roll: But, it's for my coconut, I'm not the most intelligent person in America, I need to preserve what I have...and I like the colors.

Looks like this as far as I can tell from your avatar
200-3509_A.jpg

Nice big viewport. That's what my scorpion has as a selling point too.

Yup, that's it - White Frost.
The viewing port is good for sure. My deal with needing a good FOV is not so much for wearing goggles, but rather give me some help to look to my left to check over my shoulder as I have less ROM from breaking my neck and the ensuing cervical fusion. A big FOV means I have to turn my head less. And looking left, without a working left arm, means my right arm and body have to stay as centered as possible so I don't veer off lol

Yup, that's it - White Frost.
The viewing port is good for sure. My deal with needing a good FOV is not so much for wearing goggles, but rather give me some help to look to my left to check over my shoulder as I have less ROM from breaking my neck and the ensuing cervical fusion. A big FOV means I have to turn my head less. And looking left, without a working left arm, means my right arm and body have to stay as centered as possible so I don't veer off lol
Woah, a lot more going on here beyond these paragraphs eyes. Good for you to fight on!
I'm one of those that has to stick needles in myself every day, to which I say ...never slow down, never grow old.

So after my recent trip to North Carolina where we encountered heavy drizzle, light rain, heavy rain, THICK fog, or some combination of all those, I am not real happy with my XD4... Simply put, it was horrible. I was unable to do anything to get it so I could actually see where I was going other than fully opening the visor and getting rain in my face, which wasn't really much of a solution. If I closed the visor, it fogged up almost immediately no matter what I did with vents or trying to keep my head in clean air flow (like standing or leaning to one side of the windscreen). If I tried to barely crack the visor to get some air in to clear the fogging, rain just poured down the inside of the shield which I couldn't clear and blocked my vision. Also, for whatever reason, rain on the outside of the shield just won't blow off the screen even if I stand and turn my head side to side. I never had issues like this when I had a Shoei RF1000 years ago. It was also virtually impossible to get my fingers or even a dry rag up under the raised visor to wipe it clean. Removing it would be the only way to clean it very well and that is a huge pain with this helmet.

Now granted, I don't generally do much rain riding day to day, so it is not a huge issue for my normal riding around home. But, when I go on trips to places like Colorado and North Carolina, rain/fog is almost guaranteed no matter what time if year I go. It was so bad on this last trip that we were really struggling to keep riding on our route and at one point tried to bail from our route to get away from the rain/fog. I would even go so far as to say it got dangerous when we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway and again a few days later on the Cherohala Skyway because I was having to ride so slow and there was risk of unattentive drivers coming up behind in the fog and hitting us.

So I have been thinking about this helmet as a potential replacement,

So after my recent trip to North Carolina where we encountered heavy drizzle, light rain, heavy rain, THICK fog, or some combination of all those, I am not real happy with my XD4... Simply put, it was horrible. I was unable to do anything to get it so I could actually see where I was going other than fully opening the visor and getting rain in my face, which wasn't really much of a solution. If I closed the visor, it fogged up almost immediately no matter what I did with vents or trying to keep my head in clean air flow (like standing or leaning to one side of the windscreen). If I tried to barely crack the visor to get some air in to clear the fogging, rain just poured down the inside of the shield which I couldn't clear and blocked my vision. Also, for whatever reason, rain on the outside of the shield just won't blow off the screen even if I stand and turn my head side to side. I never had issues like this when I had a Shoei RF1000 years ago. It was also virtually impossible to get my fingers or even a dry rag up under the raised visor to wipe it clean. Removing it would be the only way to clean it very well and that is a huge pain with this helmet.

Now granted, I don't generally do much rain riding day to day, so it is not a huge issue for my normal riding around home. But, when I go on trips to places like Colorado and North Carolina, rain/fog is almost guaranteed no matter what time if year I go. It was so bad on this last trip that we were really struggling to keep riding on our route and at one point tried to bail from our route to get away from the rain/fog. I would even go so far as to say it got dangerous when we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway and again a few days later on the Cherohala Skyway because I was having to ride so slow and there was risk of unattentive drivers coming up behind in the fog and hitting us.

Yep, no sense in continuing with it. Give it to Daniel

Just buy the pin lock shield and insert for your XD4.

That is the shield I have. The brow vents do pretty much nothing. I have not tried the actual pin lock inserts as the reviews are all over the place between awesome and junk.

I can’t speak for the pinlock on that particular helmet, but on my 3 pinlock equipped helmets it does an amazing job at eliminating fogging.

Came upon this link in adv rider: https://www.araiamericas.com/products/xd-4-shield-anti-fog-shield-clear?selected_variant=4732

Apparently there is a helmet shield for the XD4 that has the nubs to attach a pin lock but it sucks (according to some guys on the forum and Revzilla) so they came up with this new version that comes with the fog shield attached for a better solution. One guy on the forum says it works!

This is their latest solution. I actually bought it but have yet to try it. Cheaper than buying a new helmet.

That is the shield I have. The brow vents do pretty much nothing. I have not tried the actual pin lock inserts as the reviews are all over the place between awesome and junk.

I have three helmets with Pinlock and I can ride in rain, cold weather and super fog and the visor stays clear in the double pane area even though it's fogged up around it.

Without a Pinlock it's virtually impossible to safely drive for me if it's wet out.

For cold weather I wish I wasn't wearing Rx glasses as they need a few feet after a red light to defog.

736cbe86c6752c39852e595f1b8f601d.jpg

My old EXO AT-950, to give some perspective. The drops on outside my gloves take care of, but you can see the fogged up inside is limited to the edges around the Pinlock insert, without it the entire visor would look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My head does not fit the Arai formula, so I ride Shoei GT Air on the road and some ADV. For most ADV and dirt, I wear and really like my modular Scorpion AT-EXO950.

I had an LS2 rebranded helmet (Speed & Strength) for several years. The fit was great and the bill was never removed. I liked it. Then the glue holding the rubber edge around the bottom gave out. Then around the eye opening. I used Gorilla Glue to fix it. Wrote to S&S letting them know. They offered to send a new helmet. New helmet did the same thing and that was about a 2 year gap after getting the first helmet. Overall I thought the LS2 quality was lacking.

Recently purchased the Bell MX-9 ADV MIPS. Fit is good. Noise is normal for a $175 helmet. I wear ear buds and usually listen to music but not always. No problem with music. The bill is not as rigid as the LS2, doesn't stick out as far (I liked the LS2 bill better) and when I turn my head far to the side the wind catches it a little more. But I like Bell, they're better quality. More mid range. I can't afford a $500-600 helmet. Besides, the wind isn't much of a problem on my DR650 since I like to ride at 55 and usually don't ride highway speeds. I did ride up to 73mph (GPS indicated) and wind noise wasn't bad. I know Arai and Shoei will be quieter.

Like in the past I'll use it to ride in BBNP where I've also ridden with an MX helmet with goggles before. Because I'm lower speed on a dual sport instead of an ADV bike wind usually isn't an issue. I'm also usually riding less than 200 miles per day.

I got the Roland Sands Design gray one. Visor change is pretty quick like all Bell's. I have clear, light and dark visors.

My 3 cents.

I'm looking forward to this winter to see how the XD4 will do with the fogging issue. I gave it a pass this year because it was so new, I wanted to give it a chance for the "new plastic grease" to wear off with repeated cleanings. I've noticed this summer it is easier to get a clear visor using my Dawn/warm water method and wipe down w micro-fiber cloth. That's telling me the surface grease is going away. So, we will see...

I'm looking forward to this winter to see how the XD4 will do with the fogging issue. I gave it a pass this year because it was so new, I wanted to give it a chance for the "new plastic grease" to wear off with repeated cleanings. I've noticed this summer it is easier to get a clear visor using my Dawn/warm water method and wipe down w micro-fiber cloth. That's telling me the surface grease is going away. So, we will see...
I believe the instructions that came with mine said to use only water, that soap or solvents will strip away the anti-fog coating. Different manufacturers, different coatings. I've used a pinlock on another brand that worked great.

I believe the instructions that came with mine said to use only water, that soap or solvents will strip away the anti-fog coating. Different manufacturers, different coatings. I've used a pinlock on another brand that worked great.
Well that's what I get for not reading the instructions :oops::lol2:

Back