• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I have joined the scooter crowd

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Miller
I bought me a Yamaha XMAX 300. So far (700 miles) I love it. It should have a top speed of about 85mph. I was talking to a Honda Reflex owner about highway riding and he said something disconcerting. He said prolonged riding at 75 will burn up the drive belt. I find this hard to believe, but I have no experience with cvt drivetrains. Anybody heard of this?

Reactions: cdc
I purchased my Xmax in late September and already have close to 11,000 miles on it. My first scooter, and I absolutely love it!

I've not heard of the CVT belt burning up, but I ride mine at highway speeds all the time and have had zero problems. Just routine engine and gear drive oil changes, and I changed the stock Dunlop tires to Michelin City Grips at 6000 miles.

Yamaha recommends changing the CVT belt at 12,000 miles. I already have the new belt and will be hitting 12,000 miles soon. I'll see then if the belt looks worn.

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...

IMG_5585_16x9a.jpg

It is exciting to see another XMAX owner on twtex. Photos to follow as soon as the rain stops. I have added an accessory bar for gps mounting. I will include a picture of it because I am happy with it.
I have ridden mine to Ft Worth at 70 and it was smooth. According to my gps the speedo is 4 mph fast.

It is exciting to see another XMAX owner on twtex. Photos to follow as soon as the rain stops. I have added an accessory bar for gps mounting. I will include a picture of it because I am happy with it.
I have ridden mine to Ft Worth at 70 and it was smooth. According to my gps the speedo is 4 mph fast.

Yeah, like many bikes the speedometer reads fast, but the odometer is spot on.

I added a "hugger" rear fender to keep road grime from getting all over the engine. I also got rid of the ugly turn signal stalks and converted to the Euro signals. The rear signals are integrated into the brake light housings, and the front has the advantage of bright LED running lights. They blink amber when the turn signals are on.

IMG_5691a.jpg

IMG_5196a.jpg

IMG_5323a.jpg

Those are cool. I've always had a secret crush on Vespa. Gonna get one.

I like what you have done to your XMAX

Here are my pics

Nearing 1400 miles now and still really enjoy riding the scooter. Rode up to Munster to see if it would handle 70+ speed. I think it can do 70 all day long but above 75 and it is breathing hard. Must be my 255 pounds on the seat that makes it tough on top speed.

You're killing me Smalls! If the Burgman goes away this is what I plan on getting. Seems like a good balance of power and weight.

Rick, on the cross bar what do the round knobs do? Lock in distance? I expected to see something like a Ram ball mounted.

You're killing me Smalls! If the Burgman goes away this is what I plan on getting. Seems like a good balance of power and weight.

Rick, on the cross bar what do the round knobs do? Lock in distance? I expected to see something like a Ram ball mounted.

Not sure if it's too far away, but I noticed that AF1 Racing in Austin has a used 2018 Xmax with 5300 miles. I haven't seen the bike, but in the photos it looks real clean and appears to have new tires on it. I bet they would negotiate the price on a used bike. I purchased a Guzzi V7 from them a few years ago. I think they are good folks.

Hope you sell your Burgman soon!

Here is a link...

https://www.af1racingaustin.com/used-inventory/2019-yamaha-xmax-300-abs

Thanks for the tip. I've heard nothing but good things about AF1 and their service. I think I'm going to wait until the Burgman sells as it's getting a little crowed in the garage. I didn't say this before, but I'm only interested in the 2018 models becuase I've had enough matte finishes (2019) and don't want another for quite some time.

There is a ram mount in the middle, look closely. The two knobs are for hanging sacks on grocery runs.

Thanks for the tip. I've heard nothing but good things about AF1 and their service. I think I'm going to wait until the Burgman sells as it's getting a little crowed in the garage. I didn't say this before, but I'm only interested in the 2018 models becuase I've had enough matte finishes (2019) and don't want another for quite some time.
You have a Burgman for sale? I have a friend shopping for one.

You have a Burgman for sale? I have a friend shopping for one.
Yes I do. In the for sale section.

I added a "hugger" rear fender... to keep road grime from getting all over the engine. I also got rid of the ugly turn signal stalks and converted to the Euro signals.... integrated into the brake light housings, and the front ... LED running lights. They blink amber....

Nice modifications. XMax's are sure nice scooters. I haven't ridden one yet, but I suspect the XMax is a step-up from the prior Majesty scooter.

I'm watching to see if the guidelines for the 2020 Scooter Cannonball Run (http://www.scootercannonballrun.com/) are revised to maximum displacement of 292cc to so XMax's to participate. (The last Scooter Cannonball was 2018 had a 279cc limit, which, apparently, was set to permit Vespa 300's to participate.)

I still have the Burgman but...if everything goes right, I should be bringing a lower mileage 2018 Xmax home next weekend. Really looking forward to it, they get great reviews. I've been enjoying the light and nimble PCX quite a bit lately and using it mostly to commute 18 miles one way to work. On the last three tanks I've averaged 106 mpg. The Xmax should be my Goldilocks scooter though.

Lee, I'm guessing they won't change the cc limit for the Cannonball and I guess that's okay. At some point, you probably loose some of the challenge of riding across country on one. I'm hoping to ride the PCX next year with it's 13.4 hp. I haven't done anything like this before but then again neither have 99.999% of the population. Lee will you be riding it?

...Lee, I'm guessing they won't change the cc limit for the Cannonball and I guess that's okay. At some point, you probably loose some of the challenge of riding across country on one. I'm hoping to ride the PCX next year with it's 13.4 hp. I haven't done anything like this before but then again neither have 99.999% of the population. Lee will you be riding it?
Plans are underway to particpate in the 2020 Scooter Cannanball Run - looking favorable.

Our Dos y Dos & Tiddler cohort, Brad, is prepping couple of Honda Helix's for us to ride in the Cannonball.

Not a Helix, but cohort Brad on his HUE:
20150516_080219.jpg

I checked out the cannonball link. It's an average of 400 miles s day. What can you cruise at? 100 mile days on my ct90 are long days is the Helix 250cc?

I grew up riding Vespas and Lambrettas. Old ones my friend's dad picked up for nothing and gave to us boys to repair and keep running. We thought they were motocross scooters and could do anything a rider could handle. Fast forward 50 years and in 2012 I rode a new BMW scooter about 70 miles home and back from the shop and discovered it was reasonably powered and handled great. It brought back good memories. I absolutely loved my years of small bore bikes from scooters to Trail 55's to trail 90's to Hodakas, to Honda XL125s upon which I took my first adventure tour at age 17 through Yosemite's Tioga pass, Highway 395, and Lake Tahoe. Long live the small bore bikes.

Back