• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

I had the day to myself, so I headed out about noon to do some riding. I headed East first, toward Point Blank on US 190. The run back West on 190 to FM 946. I like to run Felix Currie over to Wilderness Rd., which then comes out on Hwy 156. When I first started running this road, it was pretty nasty and I didn't usually run am 1200 GS through there, just the KLR 650 and later the KTM 530 EXC. It was mainly an access road for deer leases. In recent years, I think the deer leases have been broken up and sold off in smaller lots and now there are homes being built out in the area. So now they county has been grading the road, laying down gravel in places, and generally improving the road. That said, it still has a few challenging spots, especially when it has been dry a long time and the dirt sections are nice and powdery from trucks grinding up the dirt. There is also a good bit of deep sand in some places. In one corner, I thought for sure I was gonna eat it, but somehow I managed to stay on the gas and upright. It would probably have been easier if I were running either a TKC 80 or Shink 805 rear instead of the TKC 70. There were also some long straighter sections with deep sand, but going straight usually isn't a problem.

Just South of where Wilderness Rd., drops out onto Hwy 156, I picked up Snow Hill Rd., and headed back toward 946, then ran back up Harrell Rd., to Hwy 156 again. These roads have a lot of loose gravel on the Northeast ends, like ball bearings. The Southwest ends of both roads have a lot of loose sand. Both are fun.

I ran down FM 224 along the West side of Lake Livingston to Coldspring for a break, then looped around FM 945 to Evergreen. Then I rain back NW through the SHNF on FR 202, 207, 245, and back South on 206. 206 is fun with lots of curves. It runs back to 200 and then I cut over to FM 1375 and ran into New Waverly. I cruised on across the North end of Lake Conroe and the temp briefly dipped down to 97 as I crossed the water, but then went right back up to 99.5, where it stayed for most of the day. I cut through the SHNF on Stubblefield Rd., FR 215, and County Line Rd. over to FM 1791. Somewhere in there I had a good sized pig come shooting out of the woods, crossing in front of my and then vanishing into the underbrush. They are usually in packs, so I got on the brakes just in case more were coming out. I never did see any others though. I made a run down to Montgomery for another rest stop, then headed out to Yankee's via back roads around Anderson. Some kind of sports car club was at Yankee's having lunch. This Vette was the only non BMW in the group. They were all young guys, the oldest looking like he might have been in his early 30s. The guy driving this Vette looked like his was in his early 20s! I snapped a shot of it because my daughter Rachel seems to have a thing for Vettes and she loves this color.

I didn't get his name, but I did talk with this guy after he pulled into the lot. He used to own a Honda dealership for years. This is one of many he still has. He restored this one himself.

After a nice lemonade at Yankee's, I headed toward Bedias on more backroads. I stopped for gas and more fluids at the Smiley's in Bedias. It is nice. They keep the place real cold. They have tables inside and there are AC vents right above them! They also have a grill, but I haven't yet had occasion to try their food. We have a Smiley's near my home that has a grill as well, and they make pretty good burgers.

The start of CR 146 just SE of Bedias. I run this to Hopewell Road and eventually come back out on FM 1696.

HOT!! DUSTY!! SANDY!! FUN!!

I did finally break down and wash the bike this evening after getting home. Of course, then I had to take it out for a spin to dry it off ;-)

Last edited:
Wow! Roads with trees! Now we're talking. I'd like to try the roads from pics 1,2,3. Looks like a nice scenic ride.

Also, on the Honda, did you by any chance ask what the front forks and wheel came from?

A quick hour or so of riding my home track as the sun was waking up. Need to get the good riders back over here to tear up the grass.

Now back up to the house to get the grill started :bbq:

A quick hour or so of riding my home track as the sun was waking up. Need to get the good riders back over here to tear up the grass.

View attachment 242908

Now back up to the house to get the grill started :bbq:

Any updates on our friend?

Badger (Taxidea taxus)
badger1.jpg

TPWD ©
DescriptionThe badger is a very robust and stocky animal with a short, bushy tail. It has a comical walk since it has to swagger or waddle because of its short legs and broad body. It has long, shaggy fur with a very distinctive white stripe that extends from its nose to its shoulders. The badger's black feet each have five toes, and the front feet have long, thick claws an inch or more in length. Badgers have small eyes and ears and a slightly pointed nose. Their keen sense of smell is second only to that of members of the dog family. Although they look cute and shy, badgers are ferocious fighters that should not be disturbed. They will growl, snarl and emit an unpleasant musk scent if provoked.Life History
Badgers are fossorial animals, which means they burrow underground. When excavating, badgers use their long, thick front claws to break fresh ground while their back legs kick out the excess dirt. They are known to dig faster than any mammal, including a man with a shovel. Badgers primarily eat small mammals such as ground squirrels, pocket gophers, prairie dogs and cottontail rabbits, but they also will consume birds, invertebrates and carrion. Badgers also eat rattlesnakes and, luckily for them, they are unaffected by the snake's venom unless they are struck on the nose. While hunting burrowing animals, badgers are occasionally out-maneuvered by "wily" Coyotes. As badgers dig after rodents, Coyotes will wait and snatch the escaping prey above ground, leaving badgers with just a glimpse of what might have been for dinner.

Badgers usually den in shallow burrows except during breeding season, when they will dig a nest chamber deep below the ground. These "badger holes," called setts, are evidenced by the large amounts of mounded earth that surround them. Badgers usually are solitary creatures except when they breed late in the summer. Due to delayed implantation and development, the one to five pups are not born until March or April although the actual embryonic development of the pups takes only six weeks. The female cares for the blind and helpless pups by herself until they are grown and leave the den site late in the fall. Badgers normally may live for 10 to 12 years.

HabitatBadgers live in a variety of habitats, but they most commonly are found in open country such as prairies and plains. They avoid heavily wooded areas andhabitats with rocky soils.DistributionThey occur west of the Great Lakes region throughout the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains. Locally, they are most common in portions of West and South Texas although they occasionally are sighted in the eastern part of the state.

Thankfully she moved about 15’ off track under a mesquite bush.

Need to get the good riders back over here to tear up the grass.

Grass? We don't have that problem. Everything is burned up here.

The paper wasp thing is a cool find too.

Took a ride over and around Victoria this morning. Stopped by to pay my respects at the 911 memorial for tomorrow.

Then cruised around Riverside park (which is very nice) and met up with this guy.

Interestingly while I was checking out the old part of town I found a nice old church with a historical marker. Apparently they will also be remembering an important anniversary tomorrow.

The plaque explains the reason for the name of the old abandoned school right across the street.

Temperature was 97 on the bike and rain clouds were forming so I headed home. Got poured on in Yorktown but the temp dropped to a cool 86.
Cut through the dirt roads to get home. Another good day for a ride and a history lesson.

Can we get some moisture around here?View attachment 243043

We got 3" of rain this afternoon in about an hour and a half!! :eek2: Trees were blowing every which way. Lightning was coming down everywhere. The power was going on and off repeatedly. The phone kept cutting out every time the sky lit up. The yard all around our little office in the woods was FLOODED. By the time I drove home a few hours later, there wasn't even any water in the ditches! The ground has been so dry it just sucked up much of the water. After a rain like that we would normally have standing water on the roads and moving water still in the ditches for much of the day. I just checked the radar and there looks to be another decent cell moving right towards us from the South unless it loses its steam before it gets here.

Looks like Ronnie Lundsford bike from former Northwest Honda??

Now that was quite a distance. See evidence of some sweat going on there too. Nice going fellers!

Man that does look like I’m sweating. That Bob’s water bottle he sprays you all down when you stop and it sure helps when your moving. Bob does that gravel like you wouldn’t believe on that RT. The rest of us probably won’t even be riding at 79.

Back