• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Close call during commute

Ocho

Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Was doing my normal commute yesterday morning and slid the rear wheel unexpectedly in a turn. I wasn't sure what caused the bike to slide until I looked at the footage when I got home.

Bike's electronics + putting my foot down helped me keep the bike up (I had flash backs to the slippery water xings).

It looks like there's a wet patch and possibly what caused the slide. I was also 5 min into the ride so my tires were probably cold. I usually scan for gravel on turns but I guess this wet patch completely missed my attention. Good reminder to be ever vigilant.

I don't think my lean angle was that intense to cause such a slide. I'm also wondering if these tires just like to slide.

Observations welcomed.

Last edited:
Very nice save. Just a little “woo” and on to work you go.

Whew.

What tires?

That might have been a little diesel spill. Super slippery stuff.

Did the TC kick in? I couldn't tell in the video. Looked like something was flashing on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it was some type of petroleum spill? Anyway, good Job on the save. Bet that had a high “pucker “ rating.

Whew.

What tires?

Did the TC kick in? I couldn't tell in the video. Looked like something was flashing on the screen.

Anakee Adventures.

I believe TC is what's flashing on the screen, need to check manual.

Would make me feel better if it was something other than water!

Anakee Adventures.

I have those tires on my VFR and have found them to be surprisingly grippy. I did my first track day on them.

Once I was running 75mph in a heavy downpour in Comfort and the front end got a little floaty, but aside from that, those tires have been good to me thus far, especially the rear.

I have those tires on my VFR and have found them to be surprisingly grippy. I did my first track day on them.
:scratch:
That seems like putting BFG A/T's on a Porsche 996.

Agree, slippery spot. You may have missed it because your attention was checking for a clear merge and then you were looking further up the road for the exit of the curve. Your eyes may have seen it but did not register it.
If you had drawn your line to a late apex and pulled tight to the fog line you could have missed riding over the slick spot altogether. Just anobservation, not saying I could have done better.

Well Played, good form. My rule, if you can avoid the slide, avoid it. If you can't don't crash. You clearly nailed it. A lot of times sliding is just sliding and we crash because we freak out and over do it. You did ok. Glad all is well.

You stayed upright, so you obviously did it right!

Anakees are good tires with great traction - I've run several sets of them on my VStroms. I did notice that, on the Anakee 3, there was sometimes some transitional unsettlement when leaning into a curve. I've read other complaints about that.

I once hit what was probably the residuals of a diesel spill - you won't necessarily see it, like you will water. I was making a lazy left turn from one country road to another, on good pavement. Suddenly the back wheel broke loose. Next thing you know, the bike was lying 8 feet away, and I was sitting there scratching my head. Fortunately, I was wearing head-to-toe gear and my engine guards protected the Strom, so no harm except to my ego. I was on a rear Shinko 705 with about 7K miles on it; still lots of tread, but as a precaution, I replaced the tire the next week.

:scratch:
That seems like putting BFG A/T's on a Porsche 996.
Yeah, I did my first trackday on a big ADV bike.

Which prompted me to immediately go blow more money on something more fun for the track :)

Watching it again at home on a bigger screen. That was close.

This is where gas bike with transmissions are nice. Only so far you can go in that gear. Your speedo jumped up to 39, then dropped back down during the slide.

Had you been on my electric bike with no traction control and instant torque, that sucker would have spun up to 90mph instantly and down you'd have gone.

Definitely looks like a diesel spill.

Seen loads of them all over the UK, plenty of truck and bus drivers fill up and don't bother putting the filler cap back on tightly. You've got to wonder why as the stuff costs so **** much over there.

Stuff is worse than ice sometimes.

Whew.

What tires?

Ocho, Yes, you say it was wet but I'm kind of like Jarett I almost wonder if it was petroleum or something like that. It was suspiciously black. There's no telling it can be anything from paint to soap Spilled Out of the back of a pickup and of course you see that it was a spill since it was in the g-force of the turn. PS watch out for those cattle trailers 💩

I like that little woo sound at the end, we've all had our little woo moments

I lived in Hutto. That area is always slick after a rain. Oil and water. That 130 has junk all over it waiting to grab a M/C. Glad you saved it.

It is good that you reacted properly and kept the rubber on the road.

I did expect the video to be more intense and it got me to thinking how valuable dirt experience is on the road. When in the dirt, you learn to react to a bike that is rarely planted and hunts all around under you (slides, twitches, deflects, etc...). If someone has only street experience, when the bike slips, it can be terrifying. I have heard riders complain about the grooves on the highway moving their bike around and scaring them and thought, "Hmm, I hadn't really thought about it when it happens."

I grew up on the dirt from about 10 years old and didn't hit the street until my late 20's. I picked up a massively heavy VStar 1300 VTwin and had it in a slide for about 6 feet sideways to avoid getting plowed by a 1 ton truck. I reacted as I wound on the dirt, kept the bike upright and although intense, it really didn't scare me too much. I am not saying I am an talented rider by any means, but my muscle memory and instinct saved my bacon when there was no time to think.

Dirt experience can save your life.

It is good that you reacted properly and kept the rubber on the road.

I did expect the video to be more intense and it got me to thinking how valuable dirt experience is on the road. When in the dirt, you learn to react to a bike that is rarely planted and hunts all around under you (slides, twitches, deflects, etc...). If someone has only street experience, when the bike slips, it can be terrifying. I have heard riders complain about the grooves on the highway moving their bike around and scaring them and thought, "Hmm, I hadn't really thought about it when it happens."

I grew up on the dirt from about 10 years old and didn't hit the street until my late 20's. I picked up a massively heavy VStar 1300 VTwin and had it in a slide for about 6 feet sideways to avoid getting plowed by a 1 ton truck. I reacted as I wound on the dirt, kept the bike upright and although intense, it really didn't scare me too much. I am not saying I am an talented rider by any means, but my muscle memory and instinct saved my bacon when there was no time to think.

Dirt experience can save your life.
In other words you never stopped riding it

Back