• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

And 2021's...

Yeeha! Stephen

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
. Harley Bronx
5ZKMIYOURFIBXEZC3BHGHQLPIY.jpg

I *almost* like that.

Harley has some choices to make. Deep down inside, I like Harley. I have had Harleys and I want Harley to succeed. It is an American institution. However, yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices is going to kill them. The people that will buy that are aging out of riding.

Harley will win if they build bikes in various classes that destroy the competition in those classes....and they can charge a premium for it. Like what BMW did with their s1000rr. Just show up to the party with something an absolute minimum of 10% better than the current best. They can charge 50% for that 10%.

....but I am afraid they wont. :(

Think they are liquid cooled, which is great. That rear jug is close to the thigh.

Why do I think the street fighter would be more fitting on off pavement with a good pair of knobbies and the Pan America more fitting on the highway? :shock:

Make other motors besides V-Twin. Harley inline three :) or V six or big singles. Make a hybrid gasoline and electric. Harley diesel 650.

Last edited:
Looks like they're taking a page from Indians playbook. To me it's a little reminiscent of Indians FTR.

I *almost* like that.

Harley has some choices to make. Deep down inside, I like Harley. I have had Harleys and I want Harley to succeed. It is an American institution. However, yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices is going to kill them. The people that will buy that are aging out of riding.

Harley will win if they build bikes in various classes that destroy the competition in those classes....and they can charge a premium for it. Like what BMW did with their s1000rr. Just show up to the party with something an absolute minimum of 10% better than the current best. They can charge 50% for that 10%.

....but I am afraid they wont. :(
I have my doubts they will even make that 10%.

From what I have read, HD is still stuck in the mentality of making their wares "special", instead of just flat out competitive on pure substantive judgement. They are talking about special Brembo calipers that “combine sharp edges with softer curves designed to create a style that complements the personality of the bike and delivers outstanding braking feel and capability”. Huh?! Is that really necessary? Why not just pick the best monobloc's off Brembo's already impressive OEM shelves?

And what da heck are "co-branded tires" with Michelin? Pilot Road 5 with bar-n-shield logo incorporated into the tread pattern?

Why waste time, effort and R&D dollars on yet more image and style? Why not just concentrate on substance?

The more things change... the more they stay the same.

I would like to see a road version of the PanAm. Belt drive, mag wheels and a long distance saddle.

No details on whether it's SOHC or DOHC, but definitely not a pushrod setup. Bravo Harley! Welcome to the 1970's.

IF the Pan America comes reasonably close to competing with the GS/Tiger/AT/Terere/etc spec-wise, and IF Harley dealers don't treat shoppers like second class citizens for showing interest in it, it might actually have a chance. Now let's talk about that hideous front end.....

The Bronx on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. Don't change a thing, and make it available with the 1200.

Like I said, It'll all come down to performance and the dealer experience. If the dealers handle these bikes they way they handled Buell it'll be over before it even started.

Time to go troll some HD forums... :-P

the pan america is simply ugly. Front end especially. Not to mention the odds of it performing anything close to the class performance leaders like BMW or KTM is next to nil, unless they go buy some off the shelf suspension and hire some frame engineering expertise. And that's being positive :-)
A close review of their financials sure looks like their best hope is selling more tee shirts and leather stuff now. And of course the offshore bike markets willing to pay for the American marque made in Thailand.

Gixxerjasen just contributed this on the other thread.

ram-jpg.jpg

I think we just found the inspiration for the Harley Davidson Pan American

Depending on price, this may be my first ever brand new bike when it hits next summer or fall.

2020-aprilia-rs-660-first-look-fast-facts-14.jpg

And what da heck are "co-branded tires" with Michelin? Pilot Road 5 with bar-n-shield logo incorporated into the tread pattern?

Yep. And a 30% markup for that logo to be on there. Hopefully better than the rock hard "co-brand" Dunlops that came on my bagger.
I couldn't get those things off fast enough. Rode like crap, and had all the grip of a banana peel on monkey poop.

I have my doubts they will even make that 10%.

From what I have read, HD is still stuck in the mentality of making their wares "special", instead of just flat out competitive on pure substantive judgement. They are talking about special Brembo calipers that “combine sharp edges with softer curves designed to create a style that complements the personality of the bike and delivers outstanding braking feel and capability”. Huh?! Is that really necessary? Why not just pick the best monobloc's off Brembo's already impressive OEM shelves?

Why waste time, effort and R&D dollars on yet more image and style? Why not just concentrate on substance?

The more things change... the more they stay the same.
Because most harley guys will pay extra for it

Back